Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156584 times)

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
Re: Post - USSR and other Eastern European Politics Thread
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2014, 03:48:41 pm »

Xeron, Romania is fairly down on the list of places Putin might invade. For starter it's in NATO. And even if he want to attack NATO, the Baltic states are a much better target.
As i said before,i highly distrust the West to take direct actions against Russia, no matter what Romania is part of

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2014, 03:50:39 pm »

URL, to be fair, you have been predicting "invasion tomorrow" for quite a while now, and it still hasn't happened.

But really, do you believe that the new government will be less corrupt, or do you thing that another Yanukovich will rise and run your country like a private palace for his clique all over again?
I am a bit pessimistic and I am not predictiong - invasion tommorow. I am saying - very likely. And very here may be as low as 5%... Event is too unpleasant to not view that as unacceptably high probability. Besides when the man who I respect a lot (Saakashvili) says in his twitter that invasion may happen soon, I am becoming worried and too emotional

As for another Yanukovitch... You see... The main change of the revolution is not new faces in the government, main change is that people know now - you can't change a country for better by throwing a piece of a paper into a box once per few years. Government should be under constant control. That what is democracy, not elections

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2014, 03:57:54 pm »

-snop-

Our dear democratic opposition wrote very similar appeals to USA in the late 1990s and early 2000s. They stopped doing that for some reason, probably because such appeals discredited them better than any state propaganda.

Yeah, but he's running out of non-NATO country to invade. :p Although Kazakhstan is apparently getting nervous and accelerating its policy of "Kazakhing" the north of the country.
Kazakhstan is a Russian ally (the Eurasian Union idea was originally created by Nursultan Nazarbayev in the 1990s, by the way, and not by Putin). Unless pro-Western Kazakh nationalists show up and somehow manage to overthrow Nazarbayev, there's no reason whatsoever for Russia to send its troops there. Same thing goes for Belarus.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »

Yeah, or until Nazarbayev decide his interests do not coincide with Putin's anymore.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2014, 04:06:59 pm »

Hmm, need to make a plan to GTFO, since i doubt Putin will just stop.

Well, there are one map that I think is logical, because it allows to get most of Ukrainian defense industry, full control over Northern Black sea coast and getting majority of ethnic Russians in Russia, ability for an easy annexation of Transinstria and position to destabilize Moldova further
So Russian-Romanian border may become a reality, soon
And I don't think that Putin will stop, too. He is megalomaniac with ambitions to restore the mighty Russia of the past. One may say I am irrational here but I have zero doubts that it is true
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2014, 05:47:15 pm »

The gas pipes are still unaccounted for in the invasion equation. He won't invade Ukraine proper unless A. Europe boycotts Russian gas or B. Putin thinks he can make another land grab without Ukraine detonating the pipes.

A is unthinkable since the Allies almost certainly know it.
B is unlikely because Ukraine probably knows it and is likely throwing out the correct signals, (like the 'INVASION IMMINENT' comments from politicians- they aren't distinguishing a Russian invasion of the south or east from a total Russian invasion, unlike with crimea).
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2014, 05:49:41 pm »

Well, does anyone got data on how much gas can reach Europe bypassing Ukraine, now that North Stream is a thing?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2014, 05:59:55 pm »

Hmm, some googling...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord_Stream
http://www.cbr.ru/Eng/statistics/print.aspx?file=credit_statistics/gas_e.htm&pid=svs&sid=vt3

Looks like it could handle 25% of total exports, or 40% of their total exports to non-CIS countries.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:01:43 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2014, 06:04:54 pm »

Hmm, some googling...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord_Stream
http://www.cbr.ru/Eng/statistics/print.aspx?file=credit_statistics/gas_e.htm&pid=svs&sid=vt3

Looks like it could handle 25% of total exports, or 40% of their total exports to non-CIS countries.
It's probably even more, because there are more pipelines. This is pretty outdated already (from 2007, before North Stream was build):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually this looks like blowing up pipelines in Ukraine wouldn't do all that much overall damage.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:07:59 pm by XXSockXX »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2014, 06:10:17 pm »

No, apparently there are more and larger pipes in Ukraine than everywhere else. According to wikipedia, (which features that picture), 80% of the gas which the EU consumes passes over Ukrainian soil.
Badges of honor

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2014, 06:15:12 pm »

No, apparently there are more and larger pipes in Ukraine than everywhere else. According to wikipedia, (which features that picture), 80% of the gas which the EU consumes passes over Ukrainian soil.
Sure, but they would have to blow up all the different pipelines to interrupt the flow and there still would be some that don't pass Ukraine.
Blowing up pipelines seems like such a desperate last measure, I don't think that's likely. Ukraine needs gas too, so they aren't going to do that lightly.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2014, 06:29:29 pm »

They'd have to be monumentally incompetent to be sitting on their laurels while Russia parks itself on their border and solidifies it's hold on crimea. It doesn't take much to mine pipelines in your own territory- it takes a lot to secure them in an invasion.

I'm saying it's their 'nuclear' option- it's a deterrence against further Russian aggression.
And they'd have to show Russia their trigger finger is itchy if they don't want another 'limited' invasion of the south or east as UR was hypothesizing.
Badges of honor

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2014, 12:22:17 am »

Actually I think the Russia will invade next... the North pole.

They were speaking about how "it naturally belongs to Russia" last few years.
._.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2014, 01:06:34 am »

Actually I think the Russia will invade next... the North pole.

They were speaking about how "it naturally belongs to Russia" last few years.
Not sure I ever heard of the "naturally belongs to" bit, but I do suppose we've got the biggest claim on any natural resources in the Arctic Shelf (more accurately called the Russian Continental Shelf, because it totally is), so yes, "invading" the North Pole could quite well be in the nearest-future plans.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(also, belated PTW)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:09:25 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2014, 03:05:19 am »

Yeah, although the whole geological shelf thing is disputed in itself.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 136