Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156751 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1200 on: April 23, 2014, 01:34:53 pm »

If I recall correctly, back in March some Hungarian nationalists from Jobbik reportedly proclaimed that Hungary should annex Ukrainian territories that were once part of Hungary (Transcarpathia with the town of Uzhgorod). The Jobbik party isn't in control of Hungary, though.

Hardly surprising given Putin's many link with the European far-right. He had a bunch of nationalist observing the referendum in Crimea too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 23, 2014, 01:42:25 pm »

Well then they held true to their final threat. The thing is, would our current world leaders do the same?

Why wouldn't they?

In case you haven't noticed, Russia is no longer pushing hard in Ukraine.  They are stirring up trouble with special forces but that is a penny-ante long shot bet.  If they were seriously trying to make a move they would be trying to force the issue as quickly as possible.  Time is on Ukraine's side.

And even if you do look at it like that, Hitler could of kept his annexed territories with the full consent of the Allies if he would not have annexed any further.

Yes he could have kept 9 million Czecks as unwilling inhabitants of Germany.  Do you have a point?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1202 on: April 23, 2014, 01:44:31 pm »

Time is on Ukraine's side.
Why do you think so?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 23, 2014, 01:55:41 pm »

Why do you think so?
One one hand, the longer this drags on, the more chaos can Putin cause. On the other hand, NATO will grow very, very tired of this show very soon and Russia's economy is not really prepared to take all the sanctions they will pile up on it. And if the economy crashes due to his actions, Putin will not stay in power for very long. His own oligarch buddies will turn against him.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 23, 2014, 02:00:24 pm »

Why do you think so?

For the same reasons I told you a month ago.  Putin can only get away with stuff if he acts quickly and as time goes on Ukraine stabilizes from the crisis and rallies around the flag.  The longer this drags out the more sympathetic Ukraine looks and less sympathetic Russia looks.  Special forces can't stir up rebellion where no separatist sentiment exists.  The surge in separatism was a reaction to the bitter divisions of the government change, as time goes on and especially as the elections draw near that fades.  Political hot topics tend to have a shockingly short shelf life, even the amazingly high profile ones.

Look at the effects of September 11th in the US: http://www.gallup.com/poll/116500/presidential-approval-ratings-george-bush.aspx

9/11 is seen as a generation defining event.  But the political effect was almost completely gone a year later.  I'd say that the revolution in Ukraine is an even bigger domestic event then 9/11 (for the respective countries) but it's effects will quickly fade all the same when it becomes yesterday's news.

One one hand, the longer this drags on, the more chaos can Putin cause.

I would say the opposite.  The longer this drags on the less chaos there is for Putin to exploit.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 23, 2014, 02:02:48 pm »

Why do you think so?
One one hand, the longer this drags on, the more chaos can Putin cause. On the other hand, NATO will grow very, very tired of this show very soon and Russia's economy is not really prepared to take all the sanctions they will pile up on it. And if the economy crashes due to his actions, Putin will not stay in power for very long. His own oligarch buddies will turn against him.
Various Western politologists and the like at Western news channels and websites back in early March all predicted that Western sanctions put in place due to the annexation of Crimea would surely cause the Russian oligarchs to immediately turn against Putin.
As recent months show, Putin was evidently so horribly pressed by them that he was practically ready to hand himself over to the Hague.
I'm a bit sceptical about the "oligarchs ousting Putin" scenario.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 02:05:10 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 23, 2014, 02:12:55 pm »

We should however not forget the Ukrainian government, and it's economy, are also only months away from default and/or collapse.

Especially if Russia keeps raising the gas price.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 23, 2014, 02:14:37 pm »

Various Western politologists and the like at Western news channels and websites back in early March all predicted that Western sanctions put in place due to the annexation of Crimea would surely cause the Russian oligarchs to immediately turn against Putin.

Not really.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 23, 2014, 02:24:39 pm »

And even if you do look at it like that, Hitler could of kept his annexed territories with the full consent of the Allies if he would not have annexed any further.

Yes he could have kept 9 million Czecks as unwilling inhabitants of Germany.  Do you have a point?

The point is that what would stop western nations from sacrificing Ukraine in the name of peace?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 23, 2014, 02:27:24 pm »

The point is that what would stop western nations from sacrificing Ukraine in the name of peace?

The part where the situations aren't remotely similar.

Ukraine isn't a isolated state from NATO like the Czecks were England and France.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 23, 2014, 02:29:51 pm »

I'm with the pessimists here. I see Putin playing the long game, using agents provocateur to stir up trouble in eastern Ukraine and foment separatist activity.

If Kiev stays its hand, you see another highly suspect "referendum" and the region follows the lead of Crimea into Russia's waiting arms.
If Kiev initiates a crackdown with force, Putin claims to be protecting the Russian populace in the region and deploys a crapton of Russian troops into the region and winds up with de facto control. I don't think Vlad gives a flying vodka fuck about de jure control (see: South Ossetia, Transnistria, Abkhazia, Nagorno-Karabakh).

Either way, he ends up winning and with some semblance of a moral high ground (at least from the domestic POV).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: April 23, 2014, 02:33:30 pm »

And why must NATO help Ukraine?

Hell, the world doesn't even want to put sanctions into use and the ones they have put are puny visa restrictions and asset freezes, what makes you think that they would wage war?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 23, 2014, 03:32:39 pm »

Hell, the world doesn't even want to put sanctions into use and the ones they have put are puny visa restrictions and asset freezes, what makes you think that they would wage war?

And why must Russia invade Ukraine?

You are positing a Russia that is acting far more boldly then Russia actually is.  Russia isn't going to invade Ukraine because it would be hopelessly outnumbered by even a half-hearted NATO intervention.

I'm with the pessimists here. I see Putin playing the long game, using agents provocateur to stir up trouble in eastern Ukraine and foment separatist activity.

That's not the long game, that's the short game.  Russia is never going to have a better opportunity then right now.  While it's possible that some unexpected twist will give them a new opening that's the outside bet.  It's worth trying for because it costs Russia almost nothing to try but they know it's not likely.

Look at real world insurgencies.  The CIA didn't create the Mujahadin out of thin air, they just supplied existing groups.  The KGB didn't invest south american left wing revolutions, those predated the Soviet union.  Imperial Germany didn't invent the Bolsheviks to destroy the Russian Empire, they just helped them.  Astroturf groups have a vanishingly short lifespan before they are exposed as foreign agents.  They can be occasionally useful in briefly creating ambiguity when the world isn't paying attention but Ukraine is already in the spotlight.  The KGB can't quietly cultivate an astroturf group in Ukraine because you can't do covert ops when you aren't covert.

If Kiev stays its hand, you see another highly suspect "referendum" and the region follows the lead of Crimea into Russia's waiting arms.

The Russians can't rig an election they don't control.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1213 on: April 23, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »

And why must Russia invade Ukraine?

You are positing a Russia that is acting far more boldly then Russia actually is.  Russia isn't going to invade Ukraine because it would be hopelessly outnumbered by even a half-hearted NATO intervention.

Mm, disagree here. NATO wouldn't do crap militarily. Ukraine isn't part of NATO. Therefore, since it's not on the table, it doesn't worry Putin. What he is worried about is A. The /actual/ sanctions that would follow an invasion and B. The collateral PR damage said sanctions and Ukrainian land war would cause at home.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: April 23, 2014, 04:33:59 pm »

The Russians can't rig an election they don't control.
What part of the Crimean referendum did you not notice? The part where it had 95% voting yes (questionable at best), or the part where unmarked Russian troops were already on the ground before the vote? What makes you think a referendum in Donetsk would be any different?

Let's see....I said this over a month ago:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135758.msg5109194#msg5109194
Expect pro-Russian demonstrations to magically erupt around Donetsk and Kharkhov, possibly leading to more "totally grassroots, we swear we're not involved" referendums in those regions similar to Crimea. Or, things go uglier and there's some civil unrest/rioting in those regions and some Russians/pro-Russian Ukrainians killed, giving Putin a tenuous casus belli to send in Russian troops to restore peace and order.

And expect more finger-wagging and sanctions from the West, but no real teeth.

Gee, I should have picked lottery numbers while I was at it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 136