Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156779 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1140 on: April 22, 2014, 02:54:10 pm »

"The level of fighting that's going on right now wouldn't even be international news if it weren't for the recent Crimean incursion."

So you're saying if Texas suddenly decided to go independent, with lots of radicals with guns and all that.

That wouldn't be international news?

Or, for example, if Scotland decided to demand referendum by force.

How would that be not international news?

You are funny.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 22, 2014, 02:57:14 pm »

So you're saying if Texas suddenly decided to go independent, with lots of radicals with guns and all that.

You are comparing low level skirmishes to a hypothetical rebellion by 25 million people with a gdp six times of the entire Ukraine nation.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 22, 2014, 03:11:50 pm »

Now this is too idiotic a move for the Russian special forces, I bet these people are genuine "militia" radical punks.

Though multiple pieces of evidence have pointed to a lot of them being Russian "militia tourists", of the same sort as the ever-popular British radicals who went to "help" screw shit up in Syria I'm sure, except here the Russian media is actually egging them on.

I suppose it's fruitless to point out that the whole point, as far as PR goes, of Russia intervening on Crimea was to avoid the hundreds/thousands of corpses. Pretty much the best thing Russia can do now, politically, is hang back. Because the situation will devolve into chaos, allowing Russia to effectively say "and this is what we were trying to prevent". Won't do any miracles for PR, but will strengthen public disdain for the West, as the reason for why another intervention was impossible.
The first point is exactly why, if Russia has larger aims in taking Eastern Ukraine, they would be perfectly incentivized to create just the sort of situation that is happening now. Politically, yes, they will hand back, but behind the scenes they are much better off if there ends up being chaos in Eastern Ukraine, especially if they keep things calm in Crimea - they are suddenly justified in taking Crimea (look what happened to the places they didn't take!) and simultaneously have a genuine case for getting directly involved to help control the chaos or, as you said, allow them to blame the west for Russia being unable to stop it if they decide actually taking Eastern Ukraine is a waste of effort.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 22, 2014, 03:59:43 pm »

Although you may be right, mainiac, and spetsnaz screwed up and captured the reporter guy without thinking of the publicity that will follow.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 22, 2014, 04:06:32 pm »

I actually don't get the nerd love that the spetsnaz gets. I mean, those guys use dated equipment and still get praised as the best fighting force in all of mankind from the internet.

Why?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 22, 2014, 04:10:25 pm »

I actually don't get the nerd love that the spetsnaz gets. I mean, those guys use dated equipment and still get praised as the best fighting force in all of mankind from the internet.

Why?
Propaganda hype machine.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 22, 2014, 04:38:31 pm »

Why?
Cold War nostalgia?
They're sort of the katanas of spec ops. Cool and flashy, but not that special really.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1147 on: April 22, 2014, 04:41:36 pm »

The opening of the Soviet-Afgan war by Alpha group (Operation Storm-333) was/is considered to be quite a successful operation... Then again, I remember reading a very interesting article few years ago how over years since then, the casualties (on all sides involved) and with that perceived sloppiness just steadily increased which each new operation...

But of course, we are talking just one group out of many different that are part of "Spetsnaz" super-group here. And even then, I can't remember if said article even discussed who was supposed to be responsible for those failings and/or why. So, why such praise for Spetsnaz? Dunno. Are they really that good? Heck if I know. I mean, I remember one time I heard one of our army units was training with some American (special) ops and our guys/gals were highly praised...sounds good, right? How much is true, however, can't say. My point is - yeah, propaganda is a cool thing.

IMHO though, it's best not underestimate special ops of ANY country. By default, they do receive more and better training, better equipment and most importantly are more prepared to do things normal army, especially conscripted one, would not do.
Involvement of special ops is bad news, no matter how inferior they seems to special ops of your preferred country.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 22, 2014, 05:41:20 pm »

It's not even a supergroup. "Spetsnaz" literally translates (after de-WikiWording) to "Special Purpose". You can have police Spetsnaz, army Spetsnaz, navy Spetsnaz, border guard Spetsnaz, internal troops Spetsnaz... and all of those are separate units with separate purposes, although they are all a cut above the regulars.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1149 on: April 22, 2014, 05:55:06 pm »

Yep. In fact Russia has sooooo many special units. You see, Putin, as a former KGB agent loves black ops. They are his solution for any problem so got a lot of support and funding. There are many public special units and probably several absolutely secret

Their actual level? As always the best way to determine that is actual combat usage. I think it is pretty high. Not Israel or USA level high but high

Of cause they are not mistake proof. And no special unit can defeat moderately trained men when badly outnumbered or outgunned
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: April 22, 2014, 05:56:14 pm »

Involvement of special ops is bad news, no matter how inferior they seems to special ops of your preferred country.
Except Luxembourg, of course.

My biggest WTF the last few years has been that Putin essentially has a private Cossack army beholden purely to him. Tsar much?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: April 22, 2014, 06:10:28 pm »

That's unfair, they're so good you don't even know how good they are.

They'll kill me for this, but we're about to annex Lorraine eventually.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1152 on: April 22, 2014, 06:18:26 pm »

It's not even a supergroup. "Spetsnaz" literally translates (after de-WikiWording) to "Special Purpose". You can have police Spetsnaz, army Spetsnaz, navy Spetsnaz, border guard Spetsnaz, internal troops Spetsnaz... and all of those are separate units with separate purposes, although they are all a cut above the regulars.
Yer, I probably used a bit wonky term...I'll go with "umbrella term" rather.  :)

Anyways.
Meanwhile, in Horlivka, militias are apparently killing people for flying Ukrainian flags?
Any more info on that? There's news going around about some politicians being tortured to death, what's about that?  :o

And yeah, Cossacks seem to have interesting position in Russia and other countries...every time I see news involving them, they all seem to be from some autonomous republic or whatnot and have some special powers/positions in society...Another thing I have to learn about, I see.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1153 on: April 22, 2014, 06:26:58 pm »

My biggest WTF the last few years has been that Putin essentially has a private Cossack army beholden purely to him. Tsar much?
I think it's generally accepted that revolutions in Russia tend to end with the same thing the last system had, just wearing a moustache.

FTFY
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: April 22, 2014, 06:58:52 pm »

It was a British monarchy though.

Unrelated: Apparently, a half-English aquaintance of mine has found out she can tap into my liking of the English. That's... a bit worrying.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 136