Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll's closed.

Until I figure out how to un-close it, at least.
- 0 (0%)
So yeah.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 01, 2014, 02:06:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 136

Author Topic: Re: !!Post - USSR Politics Thread!!: On Lockdown Due to Excessive Politicking  (Read 156789 times)

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1110 on: April 20, 2014, 03:11:31 pm »

They actually use a more...archaic dialect

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Highly Flammable Post - USSR Politics Thread
« Reply #1111 on: April 20, 2014, 04:15:58 pm »

I still believe that the call for help was the Crimeans freaking out after Yanukovich got ousted and the people they didn't support came to power. The Crimeans overreacted, and Putin jumped at the opportunity.
The call from help (from the Crimean "government", anyway) took place after the Russian forces seized power, though. I know I've gone through this timeline with you before (I think in the old thread), so I'm not sure why you're bringing this up again - I thought it had been settled.

While there certainly were individuals who undoubtedly celebrate Russia taking Crimea, and who surely believe they are going to be better off now or feared what the new Ukrainian government would look like, there was never a call for help from the actual Crimean government or any significant Crimean organization - only from the criminals Russian's specifically told to do so, and promised to put them in power in exchange.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:09:57 pm by GlyphGryph »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: April 20, 2014, 05:14:29 pm »

There's also the fact that Yanukovich asked the Russians for help after he had fled the country, which seems to have been the main excuse (or at least one of the loopholes) Russia used for the invasion. Although, whether he was told to do that or did it on his own, I don't know.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 21, 2014, 03:47:21 am »

What? No. Yanukovitch actually opposed Crimea's breaking away. I think he hoped the Russian Army would reinstall him, 1968 style, and was quite disappointed when he saw that Putin simply didn't care about him anymore.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 21, 2014, 05:55:07 am »

Yanukovich joined the Gorbachev club  ;D
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 21, 2014, 06:45:17 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/20/international-home/ukraine-provides-evidence-of-russian-military-in-civil-unrest.html

Hey remember those tapes?  Well the Ukrainian intelligence agency has found a dude in them who was photographed as a Russian soldier in Georgia and has now done false flag operations in Crimea and East Ukraine.  Good thing we have old Putin to tell us there are no Russian special forces in East Ukraine.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 21, 2014, 06:49:04 am »

Uhhh, Mainiac this was posted a while ago by UR i believe ? It's the bearded special ops guy, yes.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1117 on: April 21, 2014, 06:59:15 am »

Yeeeaaah, and it's not the best source. Bottom image:
MASK
UNIFORM
GLOVES
AMUNITION POUCHES
PANTS

This does not the same person make.

That said, I'm still inclined to go with 'Russian boots are on the ground'. It sure as shit is the case with 'protest tourists', and doing the same for armed insurgents isn't so much of a stretch.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:01:09 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 21, 2014, 07:03:15 am »

Uhhh, Mainiac this was posted a while ago by UR i believe ? It's the bearded special ops guy, yes.

Oh, I've been away for a bit.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 21, 2014, 07:41:15 am »

So hows the general situation in Ukraine i was out of touch after reading about russians stealing ukrainian tanks...

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: April 21, 2014, 07:49:32 am »

So hows the general situation in Ukraine i was out of touch after reading about russians stealing ukrainian tanks...
No open conflict so far.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1121 on: April 21, 2014, 08:25:36 am »

Well, that's one way to put it.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: April 21, 2014, 09:21:29 am »

What? No. Yanukovitch actually opposed Crimea's breaking away. I think he hoped the Russian Army would reinstall him, 1968 style, and was quite disappointed when he saw that Putin simply didn't care about him anymore.

Doing that would have required an all out invasion of Ukraine, or at least a coup run by Russian special forces.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: April 21, 2014, 09:49:37 am »

Doing that would have required an all out invasion of Ukraine, or at least a coup run by Russian special forces.
Nobody said Yanukovich was smart.
._.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: April 21, 2014, 02:58:11 pm »

Surprising no one, it looks like a lot of the "separatists" in Eastern Ukraine are actually Russians (not ethnically Russian, but legally and geographically).

I think.

I'm still relying on questionable translations here, and can't exactly verify sources - criticisms and corrections welcome.

http://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2014/04/21/7023164/
In Dnipropetrovsk region have already paid the money for the detention of eight separatists - 10 thousand dollars each.
Said the deputy chief of staff of national protection area Mikhail Lysenko, - the RFE . According to him, only roadblocks in now detained 11 suspected separatism: Six detainees in the Donetsk region, four - Luhansk one - Kharkiv.

As explained Lysenko, all of them are Russian citizens. According to him, in the course of verifying information about the detainees attempted fraud exposed: under the guise of "saboteur" people tried to pass the checkpoint on the money his friend, a Russian citizen who has nothing to do with the separatists. Information on several detainees tested. Meanwhile, according to Lysenko, data on payments for surrendered weapons yet. As you know, April 17 User Dnipropetrovsk Regional State Administration and Staff domestic remedies region stated that offers reward for arrest of saboteurs and release pro-Russian forces captured office buildings.

Meanwhile, in Crimea:
http://www.unn.com.ua/ru/news/1333772-na-budivlyu-medzhlisu-povernuli-ukrayinskiy-prapor
In Crimea, the Ukrainian flag keeps appearing on the Majlis building. Self Defense forces have taken it down once and broken the flag, but there's another one in it's place.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 136