Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: Tabletop Roleplaying Games  (Read 19336 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Roleplaying Games
« Reply #180 on: December 21, 2014, 10:03:21 am »

GURPS is pretty good about that. Base humans have ~10 HP and I'm not entirely sure what the pinnacle of the human race is, but I'm pretty sure it won't exceed 20 in a "realistic" game.

If you include guns, it just gets worse. Pulling some numbers from a "Pulp Guns" supplement I've got, a boring .22 does 1d6 damage with the potential of three shots a round on a decent roll. Then there's something like a Mauser C96, which does 3d6-1 and an equal probability for three shots a round. 3d6 produces something close enough to a bell curve to be called a bell curve centered around 10, so I'd say that's pretty much one shot one kill if you're including rules on high damage. These are also pistols. Other weapons just get more dangerous.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:07:21 am by Mephisto »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 21, 2014, 10:05:50 am »

I am trying to think of one where you can become powerful but not so dwarf your old adversaries that they cannot at least land a good punch (basically not like Dungeons and Dragons)... but without it being because the setting is so absolutely deadly.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2015, 05:26:31 pm »

What were your best roleplaying characters? Did they evolve or did you have a strong idea to start with?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2015, 05:30:34 pm »

I am a firm believer of intelligent design.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2015, 06:12:12 pm »

What were your best roleplaying characters? Did they evolve or did you have a strong idea to start with?

Actually my best "Roleplaying" character was also probably one of the best built characters I ever made as well. Mostly because I made him to navigate the setting. He however had a strong idea to start with and was basically a Jungle Survivalist.

He is actually a strong exception to the rule of "Role playing not Roll playing" because his competence (this was a setting where the world was covered in thick forests and Jungles) actually not only played a part in his characterization but also colored how he viewed others as well. It also helps that I played my favorite class (Warden) and my favorite race (Minotaur).

My second favorite "Roleplaying character" started off with a single powerful vision I wanted a sort of transforming character who turned into animals and crushed people. Yet it ended up so costly I ended up pathetically weak... so instead of catching up, which was hopeless with the midmaxers, I instead invested in contacts, personal skills, and resources... and in the end I was so extremely well connected that my character was often nicknamed "The President" because he had just about all the connections as possible. Mind you it was a setting where being much weaker then everyone else wasn't a huge detriment, I could fight our opponents and be a help... I just wasn't going to be much help against bosses.
-To put it into perspective my connections were all nearly maxed out and the factions were: The Secret service, The elemental spirits, Nature Spirits, Spirits of the Dead, The illuminati, the Wicce (the fictional version of them in the setting at least), The MIB for magic, 3 magical societies, Elves from another dimension, A research institution, and at least two deities. I had enough connections to basically pull out at least one per adventure out of my butt.

And this character being an evolving one also was roleplayed basically perfectly as I played him very diplomatically and kind.

---

Yes I don't like to play incompetent characters no matter how well I roleplay them... because I actually like to have the ability to do things and direct my character's story and interactions... and "Well I could walk across the street, but I would break my ankles on the pavement" sort of destroys anything I could do with them.

My connected character was incompetent so to speak, but he found his niche that I could enjoy. (and even with the connections he couldn't solve problems entirely through it. It just means I had fun pulling connections when it called for it)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:15:26 pm by Neonivek »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2015, 03:08:37 am »

So yeah, after moving to a new city, I've been having bit of a dry spell regarding gaming. Only been playing once a month at most, it seems this place is seriously lacking in gamers. Blah. So I've started thinking about running games online, mainly oneshots to avoid scheduling difficulties. I'll look into it this weekend. I have no idea how to carry through technically speaking; I guess some sort of dice bot, text chat and voice/video chat table is required. I've played a little online and it doesn't stand to the real deal, but better online than not at all.

I'll be running stuff I've ran in 'cons, mainly horror and mystery/investigation kind of stuff. Most of the scenarios take place in post-apocalyptic steampunk game. Pre-made characters with heavy hooks into the plot etc. Anyone here interested? I presume they will be 4-6 hour scenarios for 3-5 players, played Saturdays at the most sensible timeslot I can figure.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2015, 08:07:55 am »

I'm not sure what your experiences are, but in every session i've played 4-6 hours is really just enough to complete one mission. I'm not sure if that's what you want?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2015, 03:37:27 am »

Anyone know a RPG which is good at handling Villain Decay of mooks and monsters, e.g avoid obsolescence of low-level enemies while still letting the players grow more powerful? I know there's things like Tucker's Kobold's, but as far as i know it's an exception.

Rolemaster and it's kin; one hit kills are always a step away, and moar arrows == moar chances to crit. The amount of mid-high level chars getting arrow to the eye are moderately low for one reason only- most characters die before lvl 10 at the hands/claws/paws of lowly lvl 1-3 mooks (and animals like badger).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2015, 09:00:27 am »

Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition is a lot better at it

Unisystem games tend to be good at it... though it is a "You die easily" system. Witchcraft and Apocalypse I warn you CAN reach a "I am invincible" state if it lasts long enough due to how Psionics work.

Call of Cthulhu but is also a "you die easily" system. Though you are always weaker then the enemies to admit...

Hero System is a HUGE one (Champions is one of their products), but the point system might make it take FOREVER before the players really vastly improve or change... Heck I've always wanted to do Fantasy game with that. The issue is the game is easily exploitable.

Riddle of Steel you can get FANTASTICALLY powerful! but power can turn against you.

MechWarrior and its most recent version (I can never remember its name) has a RPG add on... and because the entire game is tactical even a idiot soldier in a low grade mech can still get a few hits on you. Heck low grade mechs used to their full advantage can provide great roadblocks. You DEFINATELY can become powerful in this game. 75-ton mech versus a 20-ton is night and day.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:08:40 am by Neonivek »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2015, 04:14:33 pm »

Anyone here play Toon?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 11, 2015, 05:20:52 am »

Anyone here play Toon?

Tell us about it please
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2015, 05:30:07 am »

Does anyone/has anyone played Hackmaster here?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2015, 09:37:05 am »

Hackmaster is vaguely on my list of games to pick up if I see them at my usual used gaming spots.

I'm more confused than ever about what to pick up, however. I don't really care for owning the original parody version initiated by Knights of the Dinner Table. Online sources indicate that that is the first edition released (conveniently named Fourth Edition), while other sources say that's only a semi-prerelease thing and it's actually using Kingdoms of Kalamar. Yet more sources say KoK is coming in some vague future 5e.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2015, 09:40:49 am »

Hackmaster is vaguely on my list of games to pick up if I see them at my usual used gaming spots.

I'm more confused than ever about what to pick up, however. I don't really care for owning the original parody version initiated by Knights of the Dinner Table. Online sources indicate that that is the first edition released (conveniently named Fourth Edition), while other sources say that's only a semi-prerelease thing and it's actually using Kingdoms of Kalamar. Yet more sources say KoK is coming in some vague future 5e.
I am running a group using the "4th edition" rules and honestly it's a riot. The game is absolutely brutal but quite a bit of fun. There is a ridiculous amount of background information and lore to fall back on for the setting. Combat is just LETHAL.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2015, 12:10:46 pm »

Anyone here play Toon?

Tell us about it please

It's a cartoon themed tabletop roleplaying game by Steve Jackson Games. It's characterized by cartoonish conventi9 s like characters being able to carry around an unlimited amount of items in their pockets even if they're not wearing any clothes, killed charadters reappearing unharmed a little while later and/or in the next scene, and things having an increased chamce of working if it would be funny.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14