Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Tabletop Roleplaying Games  (Read 19335 times)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tabletop Roleplaying Games
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:28:03 pm »

I noticed we didn't have a thread for general discussion of tabletop RPGs, and I feel like talking about them and seeing what other people have to say about them.

Feel free to talks about what's going on in your game, rant about your players, ask for advice, discuss your favorite systems, link ongoing sales, plug the game you're recruiting players for or whatever, just don't go on edition wars because we all already know that D&D 4e isn't D&D 3.5.

I'll probably expand this with more resources and stuff, but for now I'll just put together a few resources for noobs.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:52:58 pm by Hugehead »
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Roleplaying Games
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:27:51 pm »

PTW
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 09:29:05 pm »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 12:56:31 am »

I dig tabletop/pen and paper RPGs, though without an irl group and living in an unusual timezone, I often don't get to actually play any.  Usually, I just sift around to check out their mechanics a little bit, get a feel for fluff, and just run through chargen a bunch.  I've managed to do a few forum RPs, but holy balls are they slow.  They don't mesh very well with the sorts of games I have managed to get into, though - things like Paranoia and MaidRPG, where a lot of the fun is from coming up with shit or improving on the fly and stuff.

I kiiinda hate D&D - class-based systems and level-based systems are especially boring to chargen for, since it's often a big package deal with limited fiddlyness, where I can't pick and choose things that sound fun.  Besides that, the dice mechanics are super goddamn random - d20s have a huge variance, and even if you sorta focus on a thing, even as a class that's good at it, you still probably have like a pretty hefty failure chance.  The 'quadratic wizard/linear fighter power growth' thing is also a problem.  The alignment system I never really had a problem with - until I realized it was used mechanically.  'The paladin can sense evil!  Are you evil!  That dude knowsss'.  I originally just thought of it as just like a sorta descriptor you'd set yourself to quickly describe your character and help get into their mindset - 'Is he altruistic and heroic or a selfish dick?  Does he believe in authorities or does he scream 'fuck tha police'?" and the like - but once you start tying it to mechanics it gets really dumb.  Like, 'you are ABSOLUTELY EVIL.  I know this because I used some wiggly magic stuff and it said 'yep, you're evil'.'  I also may or may not try to read the entire bloody feat list every time I go to pick one whenever I try to run chargen.  Have you seen those things?  Pathfinder's is like three or four columns, fifteen page-downs long, of just the feat titles.  About 3% of which are ACTUALLY take-able by my dude.

AD&D 2e gets a pass though.  Its magic has side-effects, IIRC - like, Haste ages you a year or so if you get it cast on you, so it's a trade off between awesome stuff and that - and as I recall it's a lot more lethally designed for the player.  No feats to optimize and agonize over either.  Kinda clashes with my preferred method of chargen, I suppose, but the way it's built is consistent, at least.

I've never actually looked at Delta Green, though I am aware of the premise.  I've never actually looked at it or CoC itself, actually.  >.>

Probably my favorite experience in a not-forum-RP was a one-shot of All Flesh Must Be Eaten, over irc chat.  I apparently followed an off-duty clown into a undefendable doughnut shop, smashed a window open when the horde came for us to flee, while said clown failed at hurling a coffee pot at my dome to knock me out as bait.  He hid in a cupboard, and (due to not noticing his filthy betrayal) I looted the next building over and went back to save he with the only thing I could find - the lawyer's office's big ol' potted plant.  I crushed like two undead pissants with that thing, before it broke up, it was glorious.  I also managed to not die, despite being a black guy in a red shirt.

My favorite system I've ever read/seen/whatever is probably 7th Sea.  It's dice mechanic is awesome - called 'roll and keep', you basically roll your stat/attribute + your skill, but only keep your stat's amount in dice, and compare that total to a Target Number - which can often be raised with, well, Raises, which account for more difficult things like targetting specific body parts, using a special technique, or just generally doing something awesome.  You also can get free raises from, say, special sword style schooling or something, that make your stuff easier to do.  Raises have to be declared, so you're intentionally raising the stakes of your rolls and stuff - really cool.

Besides that, the fluff and setting is super neat.  Someone who hates fun might call it 'racist', because... well, it kinda is, I guess, but it's essentially a super-exaggerated Europe in the Age of Sail, with pirates and all kinds of stuff.  Eisen, the Germany-analogue, is WAR-TORN and has AWESOME MAGIC STEEL; Avalon, the British-Isles-analogue, is ruled by a QUEEN, and is sorta-divided/tense with the Scottish, Irish, and Welsh analogue kingdoms that are technically under it's banner - there are also the FEY, who are mostly not statted for Lady of Pain-type reasons.  Italian analogues have crazy fate-string seeing Fate Witches and are extremely mercantile, as are the Swedish/Norwegian analogues, who have a split between ye olde VIKING VIKING-types and ye new mercantile-trade-and-crafts types; I think France has Musketeers and is relatively big on it's army; Spain has the Spanish Inquisition, etc.  Russia's in, too, but I don't know much about them.  Magic is in, and tied to noble bloodlines for the most part - the Spanish's magic was LATIN FIRE before the Inquisition basically killed the royals.  Vodacce - ye Italians - have aforementioned Fate strings and Tarot cards and such; Avalon has this thing where you basically channel old Legendary figures.

I could fangasm over it way more, but, ugh, I should probably wrap up.

Besides 7th Sea I also love Deadlands.  Super Pulpy cowboys + spooky zombies and supernatural crap, some poker-mechanics to the system, such as wizards basically casting their spells via playing cards with the devil - with an actual poker deck -for MAXIMUM FLAVOR-IN-MECHANICS.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:24:14 am »

I'm interested in any system that isn't class-based or otherwise focused overtly on encounter balance over character roleplay. Best examples of the games I like are probably Deadlands, Shadowrun, and Riddle of Steel. I don't like it when a game becomes too abstract in certain mechanics such as how White Wolf tends to use a 'Resources' trait in place of currency, and to a lesser extent the Profit Factor/Infamy of the Warhammer 40k games.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:27:58 am »

I guess this is a 'PTW'.
I'll say something more worthwhile later, for now I'm just chiming in as a lover of Tabletop RPGs. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 05:14:45 am »

PTW a bit too...

And to add a little input, about systems :
I am currently running a D&D 4e campaign and a Shadowrun (4e) campaign, creating characters for/with my players. And each time I am working on a character, I wish I was using the other system, as "it would be so much easier"... -_-

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 06:10:38 am »

Well, I have to say this. The Firefly rpg is being released on PDF today, and I can't wait. It uses the Cortex+ system which is definitely interesting looking, though I haven't played with it yet. My group I GM pathfinder for has only really ever played Pathfinder, so I'm interested to see how they handle a much more RP focused system. The lack of inventory tracking will probably throw them the most for a loop, although it will be very nice not to need spreadsheets to keep track of things.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 07:01:47 am »

I've never actually looked at Delta Green, though I am aware of the premise.  I've never actually looked at it or CoC itself, actually.  >.>

What a coincidence. I recently posted this in the Bundles thread.

Agreed about 7th Sea. We were a bit of a schizophrenic group and swapped systems a few times, but we stuck with that for several months.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:03:18 am by Mephisto »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:20:33 am »

Well i don't have any experience in tabletop RPGs but i did read the core book for Neuroshima and considered it fun... at least to read.
Sadly noone nearby plays any tabletor RPGs nearby that i know of.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 08:32:46 am »

Well i don't have any experience in tabletop RPGs but i did read the core book for Neuroshima and considered it fun... at least to read.
Sadly noone nearby plays any tabletor RPGs nearby that i know of.

I would seriously recommend trying to play online. with the programs available these days (I use Roll20) you can get high quality voice and video with a game table up and running easily, and for free.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 01:02:10 pm »

Been looking for a group ever since I started university. Then recently, after 2.5 years, I actually found one.
Not D&D 3e like I always wanted, but The Dark Eye is supposed to be pretty solid as well.
Met up with him today and he gave me a rulebook. Now I'm supposed to figure out what I want to play.

@Farce:
Actually 3e does give you a nice amount of non-combat options. In a short game I made myslef a gnome mage, with all possible lore abilities (cave lore, plant lore, ancient writings or something etc.) and I used it all to drive the Dungeon Master insane.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 01:30:17 pm »

Here are some things. I'd recommend reading the Old School Primer for a different view on playing RPGs that's been kinda ignored in print rules over the years.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 02:49:55 pm »

I like Savage Worlds for light action. Setting-wise, I've always been fan of Traveller and Hyborean Age, though cyberpunk always has a place in my heart. I think (setting-wise) Delta Green is excellent and really rocks my socks, but the system, not so much. Plus I think modern Cthulhu should be more like True Detective and less about throwing monsters at your face.

As into what I run nowadays, I posted some time ago about my post-apocalyptic steampunk project.  It has progressed into beta phase and changed name to ARIUS: the Ashen Age, basically just lacking most illustrations now. You can see the cover here.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 04:36:41 pm »

I hope my first real game will be something like this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14