Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Tabletop Roleplaying Games  (Read 19314 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Roleplaying Games
« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2014, 01:05:33 pm »

Good ideas for it being inconveniently terrible. Still, very happy with the 1d1000 random effect generator i found :D. http://rpggeek.com/thread/505946/dd-4th-edition-totally-random-magic-effects-table
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2014, 01:11:56 pm »

Again. Do it Paranoia style. Have the equipment be creatively terrible. Besides, curses are just spells with negative effects: it's practically a DnD tradition to spin cursed items into boons. It's much more fun (And, if you're playing Imperium, immersive) to have everything just suck in various ways while being effective in others.
"Citizen! The machine spirit of the flamethrower you are using thinks you aren't praising the Emperor enough! Begin singing various hymns!"
"But we're on a stealth mission."
"SING HYMNS FOR THE EMPEROR!"
How does one usually use a flamethrower stealthily?
Answer: it's Warhammer 40k. Apparently, with sufficient TACTICAL GENIUS, you can make stealth baneblades.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2014, 01:24:00 pm »

I guess you could stealthily cover everything in flamethrower fuel with the pilot off, then light it all up as you leave? Some people might notice the smelly puddles of the stuff tho.

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2014, 01:28:33 pm »

Well, there's always someone who might want their stuff back or gone for good. "Mundane" IG grade stuff might have the armoury officer looking for his junk back, because it's his junk. If you have given them Inq equipment, how's an demonhost visiting to swap the relics with un-functional replicas. Orcs might create a diversion, and gretchins steal some unguarded stuff potentially killing some of each other while at it (yeah, your power fist _was_ in that trunk, now there's just bits and pieces of some puny greenskin). Cultists (imp or chaos, doesn't matter really) want their holy hand grenade back. And errything else you're packing. If they're weapons, might have been to Maelstorm or Eye, and have been infiltrated by daemons; not terribly dangerous but poltergeist-type or simply cause increased fumble chances and more unreasonable results. Xeno traders want to trade the personal hygiene products the characters are unwittingly packing, as they're all out.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2014, 01:34:23 pm »

I guess you could stealthily cover everything in flamethrower fuel with the pilot off, then light it all up as you leave? Some people might notice the smelly puddles of the stuff tho.
They'll definitely notice the group of Inquisitors loudly chanting hymns at the flamethrower while a tech priest rubs holy water all over it.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2014, 08:05:11 am »

They'll definitely notice the group of Inquisitors loudly chanting hymns at the flamethrower while a tech priest rubs holy water all over it.

This makes me feel i'll never truly understand 40k unless i become a metalhead, or really fucking love 80's pulp.
Reading a thinner book

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2014, 09:48:08 am »

This makes me feel i'll never truly understand 40k unless i become a metalhead, or really fucking love 80's pulp.
My only advice is that you should add the prefix of "ridiculously" to any emotion or concept you want to invoke in a 40k game. That battle where you stuck a chainaxe into that ork was ridiculously awesome. That bit where someone got eaten by that chaos spawn was ridiculously horrifying. That scene where the techpriest dies was ridiculously sad.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2014, 11:20:53 am »

Anyone here played Car Wars, specifically the 2nd edition?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2014, 01:27:56 pm »

yes, what of it?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2014, 05:03:38 pm »

The first game every RPG noob should play is FATAL #pokerface
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2014, 05:05:02 pm »

Hey, what are your opinions on FATE?
I've been thinking about getting back into tabletop RPGs, and there's a nearby-ish meetup with a FATE session next week. I don't really know anything about the system, which really adds to the usual worries of bursting in to meet a bunch of new people.

Also, on the same day as that, there's an 'Encounters' session at a local gaming store... basically a casual game of Dnd, as far as I can tell. Should I perhaps go to that instead? I believe a group of my friend's friends also play some RPGs (mostly 40k RPGs), but I don't know them very well.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2014, 06:42:32 pm »

Go in knowing nothing with no expectations.   Fate is something interesting and promissing, but it is not a traditionsl RPG. 

it models narrative rather than character action, people new to RPGs often love it.  Old timers who are in the mood to reinvent their gaming experience often love it.  Die hard simulationists hate it.

Forget the details, just empty your expectations and try it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2014, 08:53:34 pm »

sorry fellahs, I can't comment on FATE, but I do have a couple of serious suggestions.

One, If you have a particularly talented DM who can create an interesting world I can recommend GURPS, which is a universal RP system for any setting. it's quite good.

Secondly I see a lot of 40k here. I'm personally playing an Only War game with about 6 other people in it. 40k has been super fun and most of the rulebooks work with eachother the RPGs are

Dark Heresy - basically about being an inquisitorial henchman, and later an actually Inquisitor (in ascension)

Rogue Trader - where you play as an eponymously titled rogue trader. It's a bit of everything, exploration, combat, and command.

Deathwatch - which is basically Spess Mahreen rules.

Only War - for epic scale combat and guardsmen that are too good to be real (also a whole ton of plot derailment)

and Black Crusade - which is the chaos version of Only War.

Theyr'e all damn fun and you can technically transfer your character between all of them. The rules aren't super complex, but neither are they shallow. So its a good system to start out with.

I've also played a fair bit of pathfinder and paranoia which can be fun.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 21, 2014, 09:32:47 am »

Anyone know a RPG which is good at handling Villain Decay of mooks and monsters, e.g avoid obsolescence of low-level enemies while still letting the players grow more powerful? I know there's things like Tucker's Kobold's, but as far as i know it's an exception.
Reading a thinner book

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 21, 2014, 09:37:10 am »

Anyone know a RPG which is good at handling Villain Decay of mooks and monsters, e.g avoid obsolescence of low-level enemies while still letting the players grow more powerful? I know there's things like Tucker's Kobold's, but as far as i know it's an exception.

Depends. There are plenty of systems where a deadly enemy remains deadly no matter how powerful you get, albeit significantly less dangerous.

For example most of the games by Unisystem, mostly because no matter how powerful you are... someone firing their entire clip into your head is likely going to kill you.

Though it might not be the best example as the game either breaks or is incredibly deadly.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14