Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Tabletop Roleplaying Games  (Read 19327 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Roleplaying Games
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 07:44:32 pm »

Something that I'm looking at modifying into an actual TTRPG system is the old Grail Quest system (from the choose your own adventure gamebooks). It probably will be very encounter heavy, so not what you're looking for, but once the details are worked out it should provide a suitably humourous backdrop to add some reasonable RP mechanics into. RPG-lite, but I'm hoping the flavour will cover for the systems inadequacies. At least the combat is more "averageable" than D20 due to the mechanics. A simple skill system shouldn't be too hard to put on top of it all, without getting bogged down (I'm thinking of a three-resource system of effort that gets expended as you use them, Daring-do, Smug-glibness and Brain-hurts). Classless system, but different characters will be better at different things. The horrors of Dreamtime to "recharge" lifepoints or resources should be a fun little side effect no matter what's actually happening (or not happening) in any adventure. Nicely capped magic too, removing any hassles for the DM.

edit: Anyway, for the system, I'm pretty much decided on the physical side of things being tied directly to lifepoints, with strenuous activities essentially costing you health. This can be combat related coolness, but not necessarily. You can use the four resources for various purposes, with a roll against that resource number. Think of Luck in the old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, except you can use more than one point to modify a roll by more if it seems to be a difficult task. But successful or not, you now have less of that resource to work with (making successful modifiers less likely, and with penalties for failed rolls). There will be a basic skillset of "things you can do", costing resources with or without modifier rolls, but it's meant to be a fairly free-form system with the DM determining difficulty and costs for some of the stupider things players come up with on the fly. Combat can be miniature/floor plan based, but isn't intended to be other than as a reference (movement isn't in squares and Daring-Do and Muscle!(LP usage) can break most bounds of that system if enough resources are used or rolls are high enough anyway). Movement speeds are descriptive rather than numerical.

As the background for adventures is the DM playing as Merlin netting people through time-travel into his quests, it makes for easy/enforced adventure hooks. The different time periods also make for an "anything can happen" system, allowing for all kinds of situations to occur. The DM is also expected to take on the role of the Poetic Fiend at least once per adventure, just for a laugh and some flattery (or easy outs, hurry-ups and mcguffins for the players).

It should be able to be played as combat heavy, RP heavy, or a mixture of both, with much determined by how a player portrays their actions rather than a huge list of skills, feats, modifiers and tables. Humour is the main key, with dice playing an important but secondary role. Character creation is being tweaked, but there will only be a few main archetypes, basically differing in resources rather than skill sets. Magic is for everyone (or no-one, depending on the adventure) and is handed out by Merlin (the DM). Everyone can do everything, but some more reliably or more often than others.

With 8 books of reference material to work with, it shouldn't be too hard to put together something fun to play.

(while you can still track down the books at op-shops and second-hand bookstores, sometimes they're a bugger to find. But, ummm, Abandonia. Just so you can get an idea of the feel of the system/gameworld. I collected most of them as a kid, but as a useful online reference, Abandonia's gamebook section. Then delete them immediately. Of course)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:50:07 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:49 pm »

I hope my first real game will be something like this.
I remember that thread. Good times.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 11:14:10 pm »

One of the funnest (and funniest) RPGs I've ever taken part in was Einsteinian Roulette, on the RTD boards here. A short-lived character to be sure, but one of the best examples of DM-based narrative play I've ever seen. There were rolls (and roles), but Piecewise really nailed it on that one. A system in play to be confident in your actions, but the outcome was never known until the next turn. Pity I had to leave it early due to life and time constraints.
It's a game. Have fun.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 03:47:48 am »

Been looking for a group ever since I started university. Then recently, after 2.5 years, I actually found one.
Not D&D 3e like I always wanted, but The Dark Eye is supposed to be pretty solid as well.
Met up with him today and he gave me a rulebook. Now I'm supposed to figure out what I want to play.

@Farce:
Actually 3e does give you a nice amount of non-combat options. In a short game I made myslef a gnome mage, with all possible lore abilities (cave lore, plant lore, ancient writings or something etc.) and I used it all to drive the Dungeon Master insane.
The system itself is heavily combat-focused, though, and is written and designed with that in mind.  It's just... eeehhhh.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 08:09:12 am »

I'm interested in any system that isn't class-based or otherwise focused overtly on encounter balance over character roleplay. Best examples of the games I like are probably Deadlands, Shadowrun, and Riddle of Steel. I don't like it when a game becomes too abstract in certain mechanics such as how White Wolf tends to use a 'Resources' trait in place of currency, and to a lesser extent the Profit Factor/Infamy of the Warhammer 40k games.

Actually no, nWoD at least uses Resources as monthly savings, basically. You can use the Resources dots to get actual, physical money you could pool. The advantage is that it's more versatile: you can use it for one-time purchases, monthly payments, and you don't need to mess with converting currencies.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 11:37:09 am »

Tabletop Day's coming April 5th and DriveThruRPG are celebrating it with some huge sales and a very nice free bundle. It's mostly normally free quickstart books, but there's a couple of full games, Wild Talents and the World of Darkness Core Rulebook. They also have a few sales going on, including 83% off Numenera.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 12:25:03 pm »

Ah, another game I've wanted to try out for awhile is Witch Girl Adventures.  Basically Harry Potter, though there are some derpy bits in the default setting - magic is girls-only (men get 'Immortals' instead - heroes like Hercules and such, though you can't play them), and the example heroines are hilariously petty and evil - but I figure those sorts of things could be ignored relatively easily.  The super-douchebag flavor of the default heroines in particular perhaps lends itself to a nice atmosphere of play, at least - kinda like if you took one of them stereotypical High School movies about that 'mean buy popular' girl clique and also gave them the ability to polymorph you into a frog or flay your flesh from your bones and animate said flesh as an errand-meatball.

Also, for good PNP RPG storytimes, hit up the Wasteland Warrior tag in the sup/tg/ archive.  My favorite is probably his Star Wars story.

Also good:  Mr. Bombardini, DON JORGE ANTINO  MARTIN VELASCO-CABRALES, this Sea Elf Paladin thing.  There was a good screencap of a Traveller con-artist game, too, but I couldn't find it.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 01:15:20 pm »

As an ex-GM, PTW.

I've run 2 games with the same group, a 3.5e D&D game which ended with them trying to fight the end of campaign boss at level 4, and without their healer.
Then ran a Legends game which was cut unfortunately short due to exams. There were some brilliant moments though, which I may share if I get in the mood.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 06:22:56 pm »

I hope my first real game will be something like this.
I remember that thread. Good times.
Only a couple of those examples of play were actually realistic at all in my experience. Most were behavior you wouldn't expect to see out of adults.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 06:39:37 pm »

The most fun I ever had playing PnP was with TMNT and other Strangeness.  We started playing it as a joke/break from AD&D, but, said break lasted for nearly 18 months.  Never did get back to AD&D, went on to play a new-fangled game called Shadowrun, don't know if any of you have heard of it, it's a bit niche, but might have the legs to last.
    Fun Fact: Darkening Kaos was the main character I played throughout the central Shadowrun campaign.  An Elven Street Samurai who was only ever armed with his trusty Ares Predator II.
    Another fun game was Feng Shui, the RPG of Shadow Fist.  Awesome combat flow, and some incredibly stupid roleplaying, which was always rewarded by the GM, because the rules encouraged stupid RPing as long as it was also good and in-character.  {You got RPing experience points for saying "Chk, chk" whenever you cycled your pump-action shotgun.}
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 07:34:49 pm »

GAH, Reading this thread has made me want to play DnD again so bad.
I only ever had the chance to play a few times with a club at school and never played again after that.
I want to so bad, though.
The group I played with didn't really take all the rules, or RPing very seriously though, so I missed out on the full experience to be sure.
Sadly, it seems so hard to get a good group that sticks around for a long time.
And I'm afraid people wouldn't be willing to put up with how little I actually know about the game, and how to play.
If only something like this that meets every Friday or Saturday night would magically appear.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 08:33:45 pm »

Try Meetup.com, Nearbygamers, there are a few others. You get some weirdos on Meetup though, it's like Internet people filter out into the real world when there's an interface for it. The first player we got through Meetup was a Brony / furry / anime fanatic obsessed with Kender and saying Internet memes out loud at maximum speed (you know how people who rarely communicate with their voice tend to blurt out random things too fast to understand). The second guy needed to play an Assassin, said that his most fun was screwing over the party, felt that his success depended on having more than everyone else, cheated on his chargen blatantly (only someone who hasn't read up on the probabilities of it would hand me a character sheet with three 18s and only Charisma below 12), had a near-autistic inability with social graces, and despite my simple house rules (bring your own snacks, no weapons, don't be drunk or high) sat there playing with a 3" folding knife.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't put any behavior below some gamers. I just exclude the complete crazies from my games, much like I do with the rest of my life, so my general experiences are positive.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 02:16:08 pm »

Try Meetup.com, Nearbygamers, there are a few others. You get some weirdos on Meetup though, it's like Internet people filter out into the real world when there's an interface for it. The first player we got through Meetup was a Brony / furry / anime fanatic obsessed with Kender and saying Internet memes out loud at maximum speed (you know how people who rarely communicate with their voice tend to blurt out random things too fast to understand). The second guy needed to play an Assassin, said that his most fun was screwing over the party, felt that his success depended on having more than everyone else, cheated on his chargen blatantly (only someone who hasn't read up on the probabilities of it would hand me a character sheet with three 18s and only Charisma below 12), had a near-autistic inability with social graces, and despite my simple house rules (bring your own snacks, no weapons, don't be drunk or high) sat there playing with a 3" folding knife.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't put any behavior below some gamers. I just exclude the complete crazies from my games, much like I do with the rest of my life, so my general experiences are positive.

Unfortunately, my buddies have all had completely negative experiences finding people online for D&D groups.

The autistic bronies/anime fans were the best players they found online; they were obnoxious and constantly wanted special house rules for their characters, but were generally harmless. The major problem was that the people trying to join their groups were disproportionately highly creepy registered sex offenders and drug dealers/addicts. Basically the type of people who would only be accepted into a group if that group knew literally nothing about them.

They now only recruit players through the local comic/gaming stores. Tends to weed out the creepers because they can almost always find someone in the community that knows about the person and can vouch for them or say if they're trouble.

GAH, Reading this thread has made me want to play DnD again so bad.
I only ever had the chance to play a few times with a club at school and never played again after that.
I want to so bad, though.
The group I played with didn't really take all the rules, or RPing very seriously though, so I missed out on the full experience to be sure.
Sadly, it seems so hard to get a good group that sticks around for a long time.
And I'm afraid people wouldn't be willing to put up with how little I actually know about the game, and how to play.
If only something like this that meets every Friday or Saturday night would magically appear.

Try going to local comic/gaming stores and looking for corkboards with classified ads, or ask the clerks if they know of any open RP groups. Groups that meet in a public place like the backroom of a comic book store tend to be a lot more accepting of new people, whereas groups that meet in a private residence tend to not invite people unless they know someone.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2014, 03:33:23 pm »

Managed to miss ALL of the fights on the first day of our campaign.
At least I'm the one who made the most gold and got the most stat semi-increases.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2014, 03:59:06 pm »

I played a 2E ADnD rogue for about a year meeting once a week. I will never forget his death, or at least the events right after it. He was killed when he tossed a potion he found at a evil human cultist that was beating him with spiritual hammer. I had just stolen the lime green potion from a chest earlier in the same stronghold and somehow got it in my mind it was likely poison. It was a polymorph potion. So instead of a evil human cultist beating me, I had an evil firbolg cultist beating me to death.

Now right after my death when the fight had finished up. The party was amazed when they looted my body and tripled the amount of money each of them had. As well as a collection of interesting objects I had and did not bother to tell anyone what they did before my death.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14