Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Tabletop Roleplaying Games  (Read 19330 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Roleplaying Games
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2014, 12:29:30 pm »

This is why I sometimes wonder if we need a tabletop sub-board. It seems like there isn't much discussion going on in these types of threads, but that might just be because no one can ever find the threads again when they want to talk about things (there's certainly enough derails in General Discussion to make me think this might be the case).

Anyway, Feng Shui sounds cool, but what does it do that other systems don't/what does the new edition do to improve upon the original?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2014, 12:36:24 pm »

This is why I sometimes wonder if we need a tabletop sub-board. It seems like there isn't much discussion going on in these types of threads, but that might just be because no one can ever find the threads again when they want to talk about things (there's certainly enough derails in General Discussion to make me think this might be the case).

Anyway, Feng Shui sounds cool, but what does it do that other systems don't/what does the new edition do to improve upon the original?

Frankly the kickstarter seems to have been made for people who already know and are fans of the older system.

I watched the kickstarter video hoping for something, such as a bit of play, and got nothing.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2014, 12:48:43 pm »

Frankly the kickstarter seems to have been made for people who already know and are fans of the older system.

Basically this. From what I've read, it's going to be pretty easy to convert between the older system and the upcoming version. If you can find a video for the original Feng Shui, it should mostly hold true.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2014, 01:57:45 pm »

Ho ho ho ho!

This thread looks like a good place to field questions. First off and formost, I am a fledgling GM; but I've been somewhat inspired to want to run a game of Pokémon Tabletop United on this forum; then using a very handy systems called Maptools for the actual gameplay area for when characters get into large bits of combat.

Here's the problem. I'm not too keen on where to actually find maps. My campaign idea is set on a populated tropical region based on Hawaii in a more present tense. But I don't have a whole lot of map making knowledge, which is where my problems mostly lie. Is there anything a more experienced GM can recommend when it comes to maps?
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2014, 02:03:44 pm »

I'm not much more experienced as a GM, but it's probably because of that that I come with this advice. I recently discovered with my gaming group that there are certain people who excel with map based combat, and most of my group are not those people, so it becomes bland and bogged down. So my recommendation is that you get more/better RP from you and your players minus the map, unless you are all experienced in said system.

My second thought is that, when/if I do return to maps, I'm going to use vague marker outlines. This forces the players and you to use your imaginations, which will turn the map in to something much better than a well designed map would. Does that all make sense? I may just be crazy too.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2014, 02:08:38 pm »

When I started as a GM, I made hideously complex maps, with marked out encounter areas, patrols, the whole nine yards.  Now that I've been doing it for over two decades, I make a map only for very specific purposes, and if I had the ability, I'd just draw a picture of the room and its contents.  If you like extremely crunchy numbers-based combat, then maps will help you fill that TBS itch, but if your focus is on driving story and development, ditch the map and stick to descriptive combat, pay attention to what the various characters are doing, not where they are.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2014, 05:01:37 pm »

Well... Maps may help, especially in large combat. In this case in particular, Maptools will let the players and I to move the pieces in real time, usually do to combat as opposed to RPing. Rping is something that can be taken care of in thread, but combat can and will drag if done just over the forums. This is do the fact that with PTU, players are manipulating quite a few different variables due to having essentially at least two characters on the field; the PC and their Pokémon. As such, I fear things will get a bit long and confusing if I don't have something in place to keep track of combat and "hurry it a along". But I think there are some very good take aways from this from both of your advice.

Don't design extremely complicated maps with nooks and crannies galore. Simplicity is king. Open spaces with breathing room will usually be enough to suffice if I absolutely must keep track of things. Ground details can be minimal and still effective. Water and walls are a thing, but they shouldn't be too hard to draw in. The hard part comes if I ever have to draw a boat of some kind. Which... It's probably going to happen at some point. Perhaps I should stick to rafts... Simple but they get the job done.

Even things such as gyms shouldn't be too hard with how I've been thinking them out. Mountains, trees, or areas with adverse elevation is a different matter... With trees I may have to get over the fact that players are "on top of trees" but hills and cliffs that are impassable... What would be a good way to do those to give a top down map some depth?
BIRDS.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 06, 2014, 07:35:35 pm »

Most of my gaming is done without maps. Until a year or two ago, we didn't use battle mats either with the exception of the one-shot that I ran. It heavily depends on your group.

If you really want realistic-looking maps, take a section of Earth that looks close to what you want then rotate and mirror it. Unless it's something extremely identifiable like the entire African continent or Hawaii, that should be close enough for government work.

GobbieMarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 06, 2014, 08:08:25 pm »

Don't prepare anything you're not willing to never use, and learn to make things up as you go. If you spend an hour making rooms the players never enter, you'll just burn out, but taking 15 seconds to scrawl something out in MS Paint is fine with your players as long as they recognize what they're looking at.

For a world map, just use a map of the Orange Islands and say the game takes place ten years after the events of the anime/manga if anyone asks.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2014, 10:40:45 pm »

Don't prepare anything you're not willing to never use, and learn to make things up as you go. If you spend an hour making rooms the players never enter, you'll just burn out, but taking 15 seconds to scrawl something out in MS Paint is fine with your players as long as they recognize what they're looking at.

For a world map, just use a map of the Orange Islands and say the game takes place ten years after the events of the anime/manga if anyone asks.

Hehehe! See; that's where I have the advantage. The majority of the RPing is going to be done on forum. The actual Maptools setup only exists as a foil for battle. I'll know exactly where and when they are fighting and I can make maps to suit that location at my "relative" leisure, since everyone isn't going to be able to get together on a whim. I can set up scenarios off-screen, which is a massive boon for someone like myself who is getting used to the system.

As for the actual map, I've got that 'kind of' taken care of.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Most of the islands need to be actually designed, but I have a basis to work with as far as the actual island chain. I may take a gander at Google Maps though. I plan to have my maps still be pretty simple; but looking at actual above ground work can help with a few different areas.
BIRDS.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2014, 05:47:52 pm »

So, I'm going to be making a New World of Darkness thing. A short chronicle, probably will be wrapped up in a story. It is primarily to see if I can run something to the end without either A. abandoning it or B. having it be a one-session deal. I was meaning to ask: how much planning should I do? I know too much planning will probably end up hurting it as the players will just do something else, but I find too little planning causes a lack of direction. I was planning on organizing it in scenes where something interesting happens and the players react to it along with around three possible routes the story could go, all of which are quite general. Any recommendations for planning short plot-based campaigns?

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2014, 08:37:56 pm »

In regards to battlemats I agree with the general sentiment of using them sparingly, but if you choose to use them you might want to look into using tilesets from old RPGs with Tiled to quickly whip them up.

So, I'm going to be making a New World of Darkness thing. A short chronicle, probably will be wrapped up in a story. It is primarily to see if I can run something to the end without either A. abandoning it or B. having it be a one-session deal. I was meaning to ask: how much planning should I do? I know too much planning will probably end up hurting it as the players will just do something else, but I find too little planning causes a lack of direction. I was planning on organizing it in scenes where something interesting happens and the players react to it along with around three possible routes the story could go, all of which are quite general. Any recommendations for planning short plot-based campaigns?
Do I still have priority to be a player? :3

In regards to planning I find Dungeon World's front system to give a pretty nice way to think about it all and keep it organized, might be worth reading through to see if it suits your fancy. http://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/fronts
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2014, 08:41:31 pm »

Do I still have priority to be a player? :3

In regards to planning I find Dungeon World's front system to give a pretty nice way to think about it all and keep it organized, might be worth reading through to see if it suits your fancy. http://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/fronts
My new chronicle: the Heist 2. Now with 256.2 percent less fairies. I'll have a look at dungeon world, thanks!

GobbieMarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2014, 11:38:58 pm »

If you can, make sure your player's characters are all personally invested in the plot somehow, so you're less likely to have the old "I made a spooky mansion for them to explore and they didn't go/burned it down right away."

Make sure they know it's plot-based, short, and try to give them a rough idea of what kind of challenges they'll be facing. The latter two are so no one makes a useless character, and the former because, as long as your players know you have a plot pre-baked and their characters have a reason to follow along, you can actually lead them along by their nose pretty reliably, and thus plan in safety.

While I'm at it, I may as well link the best GMing advice on the internet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2014, 11:44:10 pm »

While I'm at it, I may as well link the best GMing advice on the internet.

No, the best advice is to find your voice. Not to follow any tenants.

Your job isn't always to be bossed around by your players and to give up your game to any twat who goes "you know what? I'd rather do anything else but contribute to this story and world you constructed"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14