Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Tabletop Roleplaying Games  (Read 19340 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Roleplaying Games
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2014, 09:15:16 pm »

Cthulhu does the calling, not the answering.

That's what his profile on Adult Friend Finder says, anyway.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2014, 10:16:14 am »

I have an urge to run some Call of Cthulhu.

Hey, when you try to call Cthulhu, do you get a busy signal?
Yes. Cthulhu does the calling, not the answering.

That's what I said.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2014, 04:44:24 am »

Thinking of running an M&M campaign.
Should I go with 2nd Edition or 3rd Edition?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2014, 07:36:53 am »

So, I'm running a campaign for my friends via Roll20. My next session is tomorrow and I want to creep up one encounter. Does anyone know a good, free program to add effects to your voice for live streaming, we're playing via skype voice chat if that matters. I want to make my voice all ghostly for one encounter.

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2014, 08:33:09 pm »

PTW

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2014, 06:58:37 am »

AHA, I knew this thread was here somewhere. RISE, RISE FROM THE GRAVE!

So, I want to run a spooky Halloween one off for some friends. Was thinking of using the World of Darkness system, since I own it. The only problem is I've never actually run a game with it, and only played a few times. Do you think it's realistic to think that, even though I'm new to running it, that we can get a conclusion in one or two sessions? Also, does anyone know any good pre-made adventures or whatever they're called for WoD that fit the Halloween theme?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2014, 07:14:10 am »

WoD combat, from my meager experience, can either be very fast or very slow. Depends on how many guns you have. Everyone generally has low health and people can die very fast if they aren't careful. Hence the extremely variable speed. I myself don't play with modules, so if you want a fast way to make a short Roleplay... Keep them in an enclosed location and try to think of three reactions to that. If you look up gamer archetypes it can help more: if a Real Man needed to escape from a haunted house, what would they do and how would that be different from a Loonie's plan?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2014, 07:14:48 am »

WoD is quite crunchy. I'd advise you to use some light system where you can just roll 2D6 and 7+ succeeds or something, but use WoD for fluff and possible scenario content.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2014, 07:38:00 am »

Which game in WoD?  New or old?

I've never played WoD except for, well, the computer game, but anecdotes and storytimes of WoD have impressed on me that it's not really as spooky when your PCs are the monsters.  Like, I've heard Vampire tends to either be getting manipulated and dicked over by the Big vamps and SUPER POLITICAL shit, OR it turns into night-time Vampire Grand Theft Auto.  Fun stuff, but presumably not what you'd want.  The other games all have their own little flavors, I guess.  Maybe a Hunter game would be the best?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2014, 08:05:08 am »

Mortals is also good. Hunter can occasionally dip into the SCP Foundation at it's coolest. Mortals is good for Twin Peaksy kind of games.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2014, 08:07:42 am »

I believe it's new WoD? Being like, 5 or 6 years old at this point. Also, is WoD really that crunchy? going off memory everything is essentially "roll however many dice as you have dots in Attribute+Skill. 8-9-10 is success, get x successes to succeed". Which strikes me as really simple to deal with. Keep in mind I'm sticking with base WoD, mortals etc.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2014, 08:14:13 am »

It's more crunchy then you'd think. I'd recommend running a test game first to see how well you can do it. By yourself, maybe. Then again, I emigrated from a system that was a hair away from diceless (You only ever had to roll one die, with modifiers you decided yourself). If you are emigrating from DnD, say, it might be a relief.

GobbieMarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2014, 08:21:43 am »

New World would probably work the best, because all the books are compatible, which means you can very easily take a demon from Hunter and slap it into a changeling game to throw your players for a loop. If memory serves Hunter also has a guide for making monsters, which is useful for any game.

Personally, though, I'd do Sin Eater, because you can either run it as a campy Ghostbusters thing, or you can drop them in the Underworld with a Kerberoi out for their blood.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2014, 08:36:01 am »

Thanks for bumping. I was looking for this but couldn't find it.

Unrelated to horror gaming, there's a Kickstarter for Feng Shui 2. Backers get access to a playtest pdf, which is a pretty good read so far. It's pretty heavily influenced by Asian action movies and the story is all in China from what I've read. Despite that, I don't see why you couldn't use other settings. One of the actions you can do in the "Two words: Im possible" difficulty class is "run up a stream of bullets and punch the shooter," just to give an idea of what type of action we're talking about.

It's being written by Robin D. Laws. He's already finished the Hillfolk Kickstarter (which raised multiples of its goal, just like Feng Shui 2 is currently doing), which went on to win the Diana Jones award for 2014.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 06, 2014, 08:56:41 am »

Tis the season for Necromancy!

Hmm, an Action movie RPG does sound glorious, but I live in permenant skepticism of kickstarters, so will probably wait for it to actually release.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably stick with nWoD since I actually own the book. I just need to actually figure out a theme/story for it. I'm thinking more spooky less combat oriented. Probably ghosts or some such. Where can you find modules for WoD anyways? I don't mind paying a few bucks for a pdf.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14