Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I Make a Full Werebeast Fort?

Yes.
No.
AND ADD VAMPIRES TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Baby is Killing my Fort  (Read 5752 times)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Re: Baby is Killing my Fort
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 01:44:37 pm »

I think that I'm going to install Overseer so that I can keep track of how the cathedral looks as I build it.

Is grey stone lava proof? Because I plan on having water spouts that will drop lava in case of a siege.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 02:01:10 pm »

I think that I'm going to install Overseer so that I can keep track of how the cathedral looks as I build it.

Is grey stone lava proof? Because I plan on having water spouts that will drop lava in case of a siege.

Anything constructed will be, otherwise if memory serves it depends on the stone.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 02:05:26 pm »

Alright, that will work seeing as how the cathedral will be above ground.

Thanks for the information.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 09:07:12 pm »

The sewers are beginning to be constructed, I'm using channels as areas to fill the center tiles of the hallways to make it seem more sewer like, and I'e begun producing the steel grates that will be used to keep water creatures from getting into the fort.

This is going to be so awesome.

GENERATION 29:

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2014, 12:58:36 am »

The eternal baby! A small and cute little dwarfling that will never grow up.

I have never seen a were-beast infected dwarf die of old age. Doesn't mean it can't happen just that I haven't observed it. But if a were-beast infected baby never grows up then the cursed are immortal.
From what I've heard the original werebeast (from world gen) is immortal but all others die of old age.

So, judging by the poll the general consensus is to have a werebeast plus vampire fort with no mortals.

Considering that they will all be werecrocodiles I'm planning a little mega project. All the werecrocodiles will live in a great sewer complex that will be flooded via a river that flows through my map, whilst the vampires will live in a great gothic cathedral made entirely of obsidion.

Any thoughts on this mega project?
The vampires will come in handy if you need levers pulled (and not destroyed) during the full moon. Unfortunately, the vampires won't be much use for anything where speed is required due to eventual booze withdrawal. Try not to make too many.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2014, 05:29:54 am »

The eternal baby! A small and cute little dwarfling that will never grow up.

I have never seen a were-beast infected dwarf die of old age. Doesn't mean it can't happen just that I haven't observed it. But if a were-beast infected baby never grows up then the cursed are immortal.
From what I've heard the original werebeast (from world gen) is immortal but all others die of old age.

So, judging by the poll the general consensus is to have a werebeast plus vampire fort with no mortals.

Considering that they will all be werecrocodiles I'm planning a little mega project. All the werecrocodiles will live in a great sewer complex that will be flooded via a river that flows through my map, whilst the vampires will live in a great gothic cathedral made entirely of obsidion.

Any thoughts on this mega project?
The vampires will come in handy if you need levers pulled (and not destroyed) during the full moon. Unfortunately, the vampires won't be much use for anything where speed is required due to eventual booze withdrawal. Try not to make too many.

Well, if he's making vampires out of children, that'll mean those children will never drink (do vampires still eat food?), won't need bedrooms, and presumably never age either. Seeing as they're children, they really aren't useful for anything than adding creepyness to the fort, but at least their upkeep is much less work. Do children pull levers (they do deconstruct constructions and harvest, if you allow the latter)?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2014, 05:55:46 am »

The best solution would obviously filling your fortress with pure Dwarves, but build slums above ground where migrants live only to get attacked and transformed by werebeasts.

You'll no longer need to worry about sieges either.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2014, 01:22:02 pm »

I've got ten new vampires in the form of adults, and the baby has grown into a child. That baby will be in the military. Anyways, the framework for the cathedral is almost finished, and the sewers are being expanded to house a huge wave of migrants that popped up.

The sewer dwarves like living down there. I wasn't expecting that. Apparently the falling water creates mists that they like, and the middle ramps downwards gives them a place to bathe.

The infection rate is growing, but the amount of bodies and subsequent number of caskets are rising due to failure to turn.

GENERATION 29:

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2014, 08:14:11 pm »

Well, if he's making vampires out of children, that'll mean those children will never drink (do vampires still eat food?), won't need bedrooms, and presumably never age either. Seeing as they're children, they really aren't useful for anything than adding creepyness to the fort, but at least their upkeep is much less work. Do children pull levers (they do deconstruct constructions and harvest, if you allow the latter)?
All vampires neither eat nor drink anything but blood (and you can get away without that, as well.) Wiki doesn't say about levers either way, but a quick Google search says anybody can.

Do children require clothing? You can't exactly armor them like adults.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2014, 12:36:05 am »

Well, a seige came in and I locked up. Waiting for full moon so that I can unleash the werecrocs on them.

GENERATION 29:

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2014, 03:24:23 am »

Well, a seige came in and I locked up. Waiting for full moon so that I can unleash the werecrocs on them.
Make sure you release the crocs immediately. You'll have about 30 seconds real-time (depending on your FPS) to wipe out the siege, or they'll all transform into naked, confused dwarves.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2014, 08:23:19 am »

Well, six of the kinder have been turned into vampires. About twelve more to make it seem more normal, and then I'll start attempting to turn the adults.

In other news, the baby is in a cage and she transformed into a werecroc again. Thankfully, she was able to be used to bite three more dwarves for a grand total of seven werecrocs.

Nice! My record for a werebeast fort is 4 werebeast citizens. Although I had were-elephants. They're kind of hard to stop killing citizens before biting them.
One problem: Even though the werebeasts can swim, nothing you can control in fortress mode paths through water. So the cathedral will lead to job cancellation spam.

I recommend you train all your werebeasts into legendary dodgers/wrestlers (somehow; they'll keep transforming mid-training session or danger room. So SoE?) so that when they turn normal again they don't instantly get killed by a kobold ambush or something along those lines. An army of naked dwarves who occasionally turn into crocodiles is also hilarious.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2014, 05:54:57 am »

Well, my fortress is a good fifty some years old, and almost all of the dwarves that are infected are masters at something.

Anyways, I've got twenty vampires and they are staying in the partially completed cathedral. I'll be completing the roof and the windows soon.

The sewers are being expanded again, another migrant wave. Any suggestions on how to help spread the werebeast curse? It's really slow at this rate.

GENERATION 29:

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2014, 11:24:52 am »

The sewers are being expanded again, another migrant wave. Any suggestions on how to help spread the werebeast curse? It's really slow at this rate.
Keep one werebeast with really awful skills, and lock it in a room full of migrants. Listen to the benny hill theme while they run around bleeding I guess.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2014, 03:20:48 am »

Hangon, how did you get the baby into a cage? Also, I didn't know dwarfs would feed other dwarfs who are trapped in cages.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5