Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Loanword Thread  (Read 5997 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The Loanword Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 11:04:47 am »

I'm going to use this opportunity to mention an actual loanword that has always baffled me: smorgasbord. It's swedish and literally means ''sandwich table''. I've jusr never understood why someone felt that english needed this word.

I feel similarly with "ombudsman". I mean, the word already existed I the language in the form of "representative" or "envoy".

Heh, I come upon these words I can't translate all the time when on the internet but now I can't think of a single one. Maybe later. One Swedish word I really like is "lagom", but it's almost covered with "just [the] right [amount]". In Swedish the word is a mix between "precisely the amount I want", "not too much, not too little" and "whatever you think is reasonable", and is used when somebody offers you something.

Funnily enough, in croatian, the buffet is reffered to as the "Swedish table".

Ha. Us Poles too have a "Swedish table" in here (szwedzki stół).

Are you treating them well? I would hate to have to interfere and... "defend" our citizens.

Ustedes (Spanish): polite plural of "you." Closest english equivalent is "ya'll" which is decidedly informal. This is a word I not infrequently in real life find it inconvenient that english lacks.

Are you saying English need a polite pronomen or just annoyed that it's the same in both singular or plural?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:29:17 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 11:24:49 am »

I always thought that mean a giant ass favor. Like, there's your normal favor and then there's a whole new level of favor with bears in the equation.
Now that's an idea I can get behind. "I'm going to do you one bear of a favour."
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 01:33:34 pm »

English still has a polite plural pronoun. It's 'you'.

What it actually DOESN'T technically have is singular. 'You' used to be only plural, with the singular being 'thou'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 01:49:27 pm »

Ustedes (Spanish): polite plural of "you." Closest english equivalent is "ya'll" which is decidedly informal. This is a word I not infrequently in real life find it inconvenient that english lacks.

Are you saying English need a polite pronomen or just annoyed that it's the same in both singular or plural?

I would argue that Southern US English already solved this problem. We have "y'all" and "all y'all". The former is ambiguously singular/plural depending on context, while the latter is decidedly plural.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 02:13:05 pm »

What it actually DOESN'T technically have is singular. 'You' used to be only plural, with the singular being 'thou'.
Err, are you certain you didn't mean formal all the way through?  I was under the impression that "you" was the formal second-person singular; "thou" was the informal second-personal singular; and if anything, "ye" the formal second-person plural (well, technically, actually the nominative case, but used in that way).  I'm pretty sure that "thou" and "you" never had a plural-singular distinction, being instead a T-V distinction. 

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 02:48:20 pm »

Yeah, I was going to argue that the English needed some informality, not more politeness, but then I reread Bucket's post and wondered if I'd misunderstood the point.

I would argue that Southern US English already solved this problem. We have "y'all" and "all y'all". The former is ambiguously singular/plural depending on context, while the latter is decidedly plural.

But what about "you y'all" and "all y'all all"?
Love, scriver~

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 03:09:08 pm »

Err, are you certain you didn't mean formal all the way through?  I was under the impression that "you" was the formal second-person singular; "thou" was the informal second-personal singular; and if anything, "ye" the formal second-person plural (well, technically, actually the nominative case, but used in that way).  I'm pretty sure that "thou" and "you" never had a plural-singular distinction, being instead a T-V distinction.

I checked. It's even weirder. It seems like 'you' is some sort of fusion between 'ye' and 'thou'. ENGLIIIIIIISH!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 03:14:19 pm »

Is there a word out there that means "Someone with a healthy care and respect for a product, community, or setting"?

Because at least for me, "Fan" had become to mean "Koolaid-drinking lunatic"

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 03:16:43 pm »

Is there a word out there that means "Someone with a healthy care and respect for a product, community, or setting"?

That word exists. It's 'myth'.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 03:27:15 pm »

Yeah, I was going to argue that the English needed some informality, not more politeness, but then I reread Bucket's post and wondered if I'd misunderstood the point.

Sounds redundant, especially the second one.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 03:45:58 pm »

Well, it is short for fanatic...
Love, scriver~

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 03:59:01 pm »

"Admirer" or "enthusiast" both come close to that.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2014, 04:13:05 pm »

I can confidently say that I've never heard anyone say those who wasn't suffering brain damage. I have heard (and said myself) "y'all there", as a means to distinguish a plural subgroup in a spatially seperate location.

Example:
"I'm gonna bring y'all some biscuits" -- implying the biscuits are for the entire group (but group identity is contextual here...in an office setting, might just mean a specific department or subgroup)
"I'm gonna bring all y'all some biscuits" -- implying that sufficient biscuits will be brought for the entire group (so, if it were an office, it implies that everyone in the office gets biscuits)
"I'm gonna bring y'all there some biscuits" -- narrows the focus to just the people in the immediate vicinity of the person/people being spoken to

Of course, there ain't much in the way of formal grammar rules for y'all (the word, not the people on this forum) so y'all's mileage might vary.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2014, 04:24:57 pm »

There's a similar concept in Polish: literally translated, 'bear's favor'. Something done in good faith that nonetheless and contrary to the person's intentions manages to be terribly inconvenient to you.

It's called karuteene here in Estonia.
And "Karhun palvelus" (lit. bear's favor) in Finland. What can be said, bear likes to help it's neighbours...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 04:38:59 pm »

There's a similar concept in Polish: literally translated, 'bear's favor'. Something done in good faith that nonetheless and contrary to the person's intentions manages to be terribly inconvenient to you.

It's called karuteene here in Estonia.
And "Karhun palvelus" (lit. bear's favor) in Finland. What can be said, bear likes to help it's neighbours...

No, see, the bear is a globalist plot! Notice how so many countries have the same expression!

...except England, for some reason? If the French fable origin is true, that could explain it :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7