Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 146824 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Kamani makes a dungeon - The Trial of Lusuria
« Reply #1095 on: July 30, 2018, 01:32:36 pm »

I've added an animation event.  You can run an animation inside a cutscene or technique, and this can be given parameters like how long you want the animation to last, how long each frame should last and whether or not it should loop.  This gives you more control over animated objects which should be nice for cutscenes, assuming you happen to find a sprite with emotes or something of the sort (the player's _attack, _roll, and _down animations might see some use).  I'll do tileset animations next I guess, but that will need a new editor.  Should be nice when it's done though.

Due to the way BW places hitboxes (rotating them based on the object's actual direction, which may not be the same as the apparent direction of their sprite) getting big sprites like that dragon to work nicely as an enemy may prove to be rather difficult, so be warned (I tried giving it a bite and flame attack but was unable to get it to look right).  I may have to make some new code options specifically to handle sprites like that.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 30, 2018, 04:23:15 pm »

Neat. I don’t really end up using all that many animations (since most easy to access sprites have directions and walk and that’s it), but it’ll come in handy if I do.

I think I could workaround that pretty easily by just setting the firing angle to straight lines. I think I’ll be able to figure it out. Or I’ll just do the boss a different way. Not yet sure.

Edit: Possibly loading issues? Was attempting to look at your worlds (saw the edit dates had all changed), had the refusing to load issue, got into temple of worlds teleport hall, wandered around, but some wolds didn't really seem to load. The screen just went dark and the loading text appeared, and then it stayed that way for like 30 seconds (which is unusual). Also, I'm having worlds on the world selection menu refuse to load again.

After some more testing, the Library of Sepharia usually seems to work (although there is no actual indication that a map is loading when you are in the world selection screen, and since the Library of Sepharia is usually taking 10-20 seconds to load, this was a bit easy to miss), but Harlequin Epicycle fight is failing (although it could just be taking a weirdly huge amount of time, because of aforementioned lack of indication, it has been at least 5 minutes, and the map has not loaded, and it really shouldn't be taking this long).

Edit: The castle mega pack looks nice. Now I just wish I was making Batelier's Trial so I could use it. Don't think there are going to be any castles in the desert Trial. Well, c'est la vie I guess. I'll be using it eventually.

Edit: It's... Enemy Creation Time! Wooh. Need to think up a new set of enemies for this Trial (because repetition could make things boring). Even if I reuse some of the same gimmicks (which will be inevitable at a certain point), they at least shouldn't LOOK the same, and I should reuse gimmicks as little as possible.

Edit: A tag exclude option for searches would be convenient.

Edit: Okay, how do I actually use the _distance_to variables? I tried _distance_to_target, and it returned 0 every time, and _distance_to._target, and it returned undefined and caused a weird glitchy state. So I'm kind of at a loss on this one. Also, you might want to try that, because that glitch state thingy was weird.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:42:01 am by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 31, 2018, 03:36:39 am »

_distance_to(_target)  (it's a function, like the tile getter)  I'll check out the glitch state.  It should just use 0 if it is inputted incorrectly.

The loading issues are probably just caused by loading a lot of data on a slow connection (the library is its own world, but most of my other areas are part of a single world).  I have to find some way of testing.  A loading bar would probably be a good idea if I could figure out how to make one work.

Tag exclude option? You mean like a search for everything that does not include a particular tag?  Well, I'll see what I can do.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: July 31, 2018, 03:50:47 am »

Okay. I’ll take a look at the tile getter and see how I used that. When I used _distance_to_target set to test variable, it came out 0, so I probably messed up something else. I made a workaround for this instance (one that, in retrospect, was easier), but I’ll probably need it in the future.

Okay. I figured that, even in the larger Elemin loading case, 5 minutes would be enough, but my connection isn’t great, so...
Yeah, a loading bar would be appreciable, assuming it would be reasonably possible (I wouldn’t know, so...).

Yeah, that’s exactly it. It would make searching for not-tilesets much easier (plus, it should be fairly useful when there is a larger amount of uploaded content). Thanks for taking the time to see what you can do (I guess? I’m not entirely sure how to phrase that thanks...).

Edit: Hmm, need to remember to make this set a bit easier for enemies than the last. Also, things that would be helpful: Skills that only get used if enemies are in a line from the player (with an area on the line), and a decent way to make enemies try to move to use said skills.
This would be really useful for making a LOT of enemies with 4-way art (the previously mentioned dragon for example, and the Floating Eye enemy I was working on. Which may be on hold now).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 02:13:41 pm by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: An API for infinite possibilities!
« Reply #1099 on: July 31, 2018, 02:50:49 pm »

I've added a few new options:

First, dialogue boxes now have text inputs!  Just check the "Enable text reply" option under Replies to add a custom textbox.  The value in the textbox is saved as the reference variable.

Now, that's pretty pointless for the most part (unless you want to include, say, passwords or something) BUT it opens up new possibilities with what is probably the single biggest update to BoundWorlds, and can very well revolutionize what BoundWorlds is.  It's time to introduce the API event!

The API event simply makes a call to an external website.  Most free APIs are pretty pointless for BoundWorld's purposes, but it opens up many new doors of possibility for players who have their own websites.  Any data you can store externally, can be loaded in BoundWorlds through the API.  The API is intended to use JSON responses and will automatically convert JSON into generic data objects which can be read through the standard BW coding.

Some major applications I can see with this are making your own personal feed show up in your BoundWorlds creation, offering rewards in BoundWorlds to players who are also members of your own website, and even multiplayer!

Given the potential power of this event (and the fact that its overuse could eat up a significant amount of bandwidth), there is a high probability that the API will only be usable by premium users.  But for now feel free to play around with it.  I will probably make a couple of packaged objects that make use of it.

Edit: Hmm, need to remember to make this set a bit easier for enemies than the last. Also, things that would be helpful: Skills that only get used if enemies are in a line from the player (with an area on the line), and a decent way to make enemies try to move to use said skills.
This would be really useful for making a LOT of enemies with 4-way art (the previously mentioned dragon for example, and the Floating Eye enemy I was working on. Which may be on hold now).

I do have a plan to make more "geometric" type motion at some point (probably by setting Turn Speed to 90).  And also better pathfinding AI.  But for the most part I'd like to try and streamline the overall behaviors of BoundWorlds and get it settled into a specific look and feel, while trying to minimize unnecessary bloat that is available as far as basic sprite parameters are concerned (kind of too late for that, eh?), leaving more unique gimmicks for scripters to work out.

You can do some of the scripting yourself if you have specific ideas of how these particular objects are supposed to work, using things like XY comparisons, _face comparison and setting and Walk events.  Not a whole lot of options for complex maze navigation though.

I did make a public Floating Eye, you can use or modify that if you want to.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: July 31, 2018, 03:00:59 pm »

Text inputs! Those should come in handy, now that they are actually enabled. Don't need them right now, but eventually should be useful when I use a password for something.

Well, that should probably be pretty useful for people.

I don't think I'll be really using it, since I don't have a website, but still, seems neat.

Yeah, that should be real neat.

Makes sense.

Fair enough. I'll do some messing around and try to figure it out.

Eh, the floating eye you used is neat, but it isn't quite what I am going for.

Edit: Has the dragging frames around techniques glitch been fixed? I remember that it used to break stuff, but I don't recall if that was ever fixed.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:29:49 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: July 31, 2018, 03:36:39 pm »

Ah, no, still doesn't work right.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: July 31, 2018, 03:45:11 pm »

Okay. Glad I just copied over everything instead then.

Also, I made my Flying Eye's skills. They also paralyze, but instead of using a paralyze, they change color, and, if you are in a line with them, you get hit for 10% of max life + 5 damage and get stunned (with a color reverse because it looks nice). Now I just have to figure out how to make them actually walk into a line with the player reliably.
The main reason I want my flying eye to work like this rather than your version is because I'm hoping that with the damage inflicted this way, it should be a bit more interesting with groups. Could be totally off base, but it's worth a shot.

Edit: On a second though, I don't think the Flying Eye really fits the dungeon. Maybe one of the other dungeons, but not in the desert/cave.
I think I'll go with a golem (although they'll be a different color in the second half), snake, dragon, in the second half, and a sand-slime, plus one more in the first half I still can't decide on.

Edit: Today's loading issue: I can get everything to load as normal from the world selection menu except the new Throne Room map, which won't load (even if I make a gate to it in one of my worlds). So I guess that world just won't load for me for some reason.

Edit: Oh, and the Floaty Metal World is messed up. Only the red circle tiles are fall tiles now, and empty tiles are just floor tiles. I don't know if Shook is around, but if they are, they may want to fix that.

Edit: If you have a rotating free-rotation projectile (_face + (number) in update, for example) with damage and knockback, the knockback will trigger in any direction. Which is, admittedly, rather fun, but doesn't really make any sense for a thrown rock. I mean, I guess I could just make it no-rotate, but it looks nice this way, so I'd rather not. Any way for me to make the attack knockback work in either a line based on movement or make it work with a radial force vector (like for hitboxes. Would be goofy if you managed to run into the back of the projectile, but would otherwise work well, and kb for running into the back of a projectile can be goofy)?

Edit: I think the new golem (labeled StoneGolem so as not to mess up if used with the other golem). They disguise as rocks, then attack once the player reaches within 150. They have one general rush attack and one attack where they throw a rock. The only thing about them that is at of interest is that the color of the rock they can be disguised as can be changed, and both the golem and the rock they throw will be set to be the same color. But they should be okay enemies. Hopefully.

Edit: Also did the snake enemy, although I even less of an idea how they turned out. They have an ability that makes an egg that turns into a mini snake after 10 seconds, a poison bite, and a regular damaging bite. Pretty standard. Hopefully okay.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 01:33:19 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: August 01, 2018, 02:27:56 am »

I added an option for basic melee attacks to use radial hitboxes, although it will still likely be a bit of a mess for fast-moving projectiles due to the likelihood of contacting the projectile at a weird angle.  One option is to use an invisible, non-rotating projectile, and make the rotating rock a graphical status effect applied to the actual projectile.  (You can use _host_dir to set a relative direction for a status effect.)

As for the snake, you might want to add a short-range aimed lunge to the bite attacks to make them look better.  You might also want to experiment a bit with hitlag.

The throne room issue seems to have been a weird error due to the uploaded script.  I fixed it so it should work now.  (It's basically just a demo for text inputs - but it will probably be the center for a quest in the future.)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 01, 2018, 02:33:56 am »

Oh, the invisible projectile graphical effect is a good idea. Thanks. Also, thanks for the radial hitboxes for melee. It should still come in handy for explosion sprites and the like.

... Yeah, that would be a really good idea. Thanks. Feel kind of silly for having failed to think of it now. I’ll try out hitlag too. I just don’t know how well it’ll work for multiple enemies at once. I’ll try it out though.

Oh, okay. I’ll take a look when I am able.
Edit: Still isn't working for me. Is there another issue, or were the fixes not published? Bright side: Other worlds are loading pretty well.

Edit: If multiple packages are loaded with objects that have the same ID, will things get messed up? If so, that could lead into issues quite easily (projectiles named fireball or whatever could end up present en mass).

Edit: Messing around with Composite Operations, I tried out exclude. With a blank white circle, it makes a circle of reverse color. Very neat, possibly useful. Not really useful to me now, but I think I'll be using that eventually.

Edit: Wow, having a 672*672 image on an object makes the menu look really goofy. And the image isn't even that detailed. Possibly I should have made it smaller and just scaled it up...? That may have been a better idea.

Edit: Any good way to make an entire room change color until it is undone? I tried setting the room's color (using the... debug menu for world editing, I guess?), and nothing happens, and I don't see a way to make a flash effect have infinite duration, so I am at a loss here.

Edit: Severe glitch I guess? Suddenly every room has turned into a black and white thing in edit mode, and when I go into test mode, it's just black. The objects and tiles still seem to be normal (and I didn't save just in case), but this makes doing really anything impossible.
Edit: Happens to non-edit mode worlds too?
Edit: Rebooted BoundWorlds. Now it works. Feel silly to have taken that long to think of that, but... Still weird.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 12:47:56 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 02, 2018, 12:49:54 am »

Functions that search for a class (or item) follow a set of hierarchal rules starting with the objects in their own package.  Also, using a packaged object automatically stores its package ID.  So duplicate IDs from objects in different packages should be fine, though it is possible for minor bugs to occur.  If you package an object after using it somewhere (in an object that does not share the same package, or placed directly in a room), and there is a different package loaded with an object that has the same ID, it is possible that the wrong object will be used.

I haven't done much experimenting with composite operations outside of flashes, but my understanding is that it should be possible to make stuff like a "light circle" in a dark room by creating a black foreground layer, making a sprite that looks like a "fuzzy light ball" in that layer, and setting the light sprite to use a particular composite operation.  I'm not sure which one though.

You can change a layer's color (I did this recently in a dark dungeon area).  Might not work for an entire room, I'll check it out.

As for that last glitch, it seems to be related to switching rooms (or possibly opening the editor) while a flash effect is running.  I'm working on fixing it.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 02, 2018, 12:52:53 am »

Okay. Good to know. Thanks

I think Xor should be the right one. Thanks, hadn't thought of that. That should work much better.
Edit: Wait, no, that won't work for what I am doing. Unless I make an extra invisible layer of solid black and change it's visibility all of the time. Plus it wouldn't be easily packaged.
Edit: This should work as longs as people don't go significantly offscreen, and there is nothing I can do about that.
Edit: Hmm, seems to cause some lag (probably because a huge sprite using the player as a host, and thus probably jumping to them every frame). That isn't great. Can't think of any great way to manage this one. Might have to think of something else. Any good ways to avoid this?

Oh, okay. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:14:49 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 02, 2018, 01:50:07 am »

So here's how to make the effect you're trying to do:

1. Add a foreground layer.
2. Give the foreground layer a black square as a background.  (If you like, you can use the image bounds to select a small portion of an existing image.)
3. Create a "light ball" sprite, and set its composite operation to xor or destination-out.  (Not sure exactly what the difference is.)  You'll see some flickering while the object is selected in the editor but it will settle when not selected.  You can have multiple light balls in the layer.

You can't use this as a status effect (because it has its own layer), but you can set its _x and _y to the player's position each frame.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: August 02, 2018, 01:53:28 am »

I’d do that, but I want this to be packagable, and I can’t package a layer, so that doesn’t really work for me. Otherwise, that would work perfectly for me, but I do really like making my stuff easy to move around and package.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 02, 2018, 02:15:56 am »

Hm.

Well, I guess special effects will require more advanced graphical effects, and these will need to be flexible, so it might make sense to make a "create layer" event.  Then effects like this will be usable in packaged objects.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 90