Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 146879 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Random encounters are a sign of lazy design
« Reply #975 on: June 19, 2018, 01:02:48 am »

Sort of major-ish cutscene issue. If you are holding the jump and move forward buttons when a cutscene with no physics becomes active, the character will fly off the screen entirely. Not so great. Not sure how this would be handled, since it is specifically a cutscene that disables physics, but it probably shouldn't do that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:09:26 am by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #976 on: June 19, 2018, 01:23:32 am »

Oh, I probably disabled gravity but forgot to disable vertical movement.  Will fix.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 19, 2018, 01:27:03 am »

Just ran into another full crash, but this time, I have noticed that it always happens when I am moving between rooms (either between edits or while testing).

Side Note: I am up to like 30 times of running into an issue (caused by me), spending like 6 minutes trying to figure it out, and then realizing I forgot to prefix something with an @. Woops.

Edit: The town of Lusuria is up! Hopefully, I solved all the various issues and got everything in order, but I can't be 100% sure. Now I just have to finish the two sections of the dungeon and both bosses, which I have to redo.
Edit: Oh, right. Please tell me if something inevitably goes wrong. Hopefully, any mistakes won't be too major, but I never know.

Edit: By the way, Vaults of Imperia is slightly broken, ever since the empty tiles/tileset changes. Might want to check that, since I believe the original creator is gone.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:39:53 am by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Lusuria, The City of Monsters
« Reply #978 on: June 19, 2018, 10:43:26 am »

Nice!  Got some pretty extensive dialogue going, which is a good change of pace from my usual fare.

I take it Arc and Thaum are the [spoiler] characters?  That works pretty well, actually.  I like the idea of mages being slightly associated with understanding the nature of their reality (thereby allowing them to bend it).  A little bit of void exposure creates mages, too much creates monsters.

Only one bug I can see; Wren and Jeremy don't save properly, probably forgot to prefix the item with @.

Well, there are other cutscene-related bugs, but those are my problem.

I'm moving general lore to the library instead of the Hall of Lore.  Every bookshelf can have 3 books on it, so there's a lot of space to fill up :)

EDIT: Also, perhaps you can add a Link Tag or two to the main entrance.  That way random gates can link to it logically (example: it can be turned into a town in another player's overworld.)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Update: Lusuria, The City of Civilized Monsters
« Reply #979 on: June 19, 2018, 02:17:31 pm »

Thanks. Glad it should provide a bit aid variety.

Well, Arc and Thaum definitely know, and they might make certain hints, but they won’t actually tell you. The character who does do the [spoiler] is an acolyte who takes the acolyte idea and goes their own way with it. I do like the mages knowing thing though. It seems to fit.
Although... making Arc and Thaum be the [spoiler] characters would give them something to do and it would fit well with who they are... Huh, I’ll have to consider how to do this.

Ugh, thought I had fixed that. Must of either missed another issue with it, or just have lost the fix in a crash. I’ll take a look as soon as I can.

Cutscene systems must be difficult to make I guess. There seems to be a lot of stuff that can go wrong.

Makes sense.

Oops! Forgot to do that. Thanks.

Edit: Fixed the Wren Jeremy glitch (There were TWO instances of missed @ signs, and I only noticed one), and added tags (town, monster, and kamani (I didn't make the kamani tag to my knowledge, but I figured since it was there, I probably should) all seemed to fit pretty well). In addition, I fixed some 1 opacity text backgrounds that should have been .75, and I fixed the doors that stood out slightly from their houses, thus making their collision odd. To my knowledge, that is all that was currently wrong with it, so tell me if I missed anything.

Also, I found another cutscene issue. If you are rolling from a dive when a cutscene activates, you get stuck in the roll and don't walk or anything until the cutscene ends. I suppose that should probably cancel on cutscene activation or something.

Edit: Platformer Dungeon by Whisperling is also glitched due to the changes in how tilesets work. If you fall in a pit, you just keep falling forever. I don't know if Whisperling is present as of lately, but if so, you may want to fix this, Whisperling.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:18:34 pm by Kamani »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 19, 2018, 11:16:02 pm »

Edit: Platformer Dungeon by Whisperling is also glitched due to the changes in how tilesets work. If you fall in a pit, you just keep falling forever. I don't know if Whisperling is present as of lately, but if so, you may want to fix this, Whisperling.

My current activity level is a solid "meh," but I've been poking around a bit.

Pretty sure the pits should be fixed now. Just give me a heads-up if you notice them getting broken again.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 19, 2018, 11:18:16 pm »

Makes sense.

Thanks.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 20, 2018, 01:25:45 pm »

I fixed up the issue with cutscenes and rolling, kind of - techniques are automatically cancelled if the user receives a movement command from an outside source.  This may not be 100% ideal in all circumstances, I'm going to have to go over it in other circumstances to be sure.

I've also fixed an issue with Each loops inside Each loops.  They should work as intended now.

Found another bug in Lusuria, seems that Jeremy only sets _room.jer if you haven't met them before, causing issues if you return later.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 20, 2018, 01:27:46 pm »

Glad about both bug fixes.

On Jeremy: Oops. Must have put the set _room.jer inside the conditional. Wonder why I messed up the most on that set of dialogues though.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 20, 2018, 04:30:25 pm »

Adding some new functionality all around:

_frozen and _stasis are now variables.  _frozen prevents all voluntary movement and abilities, but physics continues to work.  _stasis freezes all physics.  Mainly useful for status effects.

_distance_to and _direction_to are added as inline functions.  They return the distance or direction to either a sprite or a point.  You can set {_face = _direction_to(sprite)} to make a sprite face another sprite.

Timing on the player's attack hitboxes have been adjusted a bit to feel more "natural".

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 20, 2018, 07:10:15 pm »

_frozen and _stasis should come in handy, and _distance_to and _direction_to should make nice shortcuts (rather than having to say all the _x - _room.whatever_x.

I fixed the Jeremy name bug (since I got some time to sit down). Hope that should be the last issue with that dialogue in particular.

Edit: I can finally get back to my project, so that should start to continue again (my computer charger got messed up). Might be a few days behind, but beyond that, should be getting back to it.

Edit: It would be appreciable if stores could work off of trading/item currencies (I looked at the trading button, but it didn't seem to do anything, so I am guessing it is not finished?). The shop menu works better than just having a bunch of dialogue options and checks, so it would be nice. Not a huge important thing, but it would be nice.

Edit: Ugh, just realized I lost my returning fireballs. Those were a pain to make. Guess I'll just have to remake them. Wish them and the Spids boss hadn't been lost. Shame I didn't package Spidsboss and Spidsguards I suppose. C'est la vie I guess.

Edit: Was working on some boss skills for Shadowmage. Forgot to set the line skill cooldown. That was interesting.

Edit: Based on my brief messup above, my current final phase is an rapid rush of the shadow line attacks. But since the battle only lasts for 75 hp, it isn't too nasty. Might change it. Shadowmage has three phases (opposed to Spids's 2), but they each only have a few attacks (the final has only 1, the other two have 3 or 4) and low life, so it isn't all that tough. Decided to try something different for this, although I don't know how well it will work.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:16:34 am by Kamani »

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 22, 2018, 10:40:55 pm »

Okay, the list from my last post got a bit long, so I decided to repost just the bugs (in order of significance (starting at greatest)) so it could be read easily.

- The full crashes are getting really annoying. I was starting testing some more boss skills, and crash. Thankfully, I
  save out of habit every like 10 seconds, but this if you don't do so, you could really run into problems.

- Loop issue I think? Look at the function labeled firebreath on the object shadowmagedragon. Even though the loop
  has a wait 2 frames, it fires all 20 flames at once. If I move the set timer to timer+1 to the second spot, it instead
  never stops shooting flames (but does wait properly). I don't know WHY, but it seems to skip the second unless the
  second is the fire command.
  Edit: I had this temporarily working with some workaround, but a crash scrapped that. Still wasn't quite on either.
  Not sure why.

- My mushghast monster's projectile spore attack suddenly stopped working. The jump is not functioning, so the
  spore just sits on the ground. Any clue what changes could have been made that would affect this?

- If you use a URL, you can use files that aren't set to public. Probably doesn't matter, since what are you going to
  actually DO with it, but still figured it was worth mentioning. This also apparently includes files that were deleted.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:30:57 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 23, 2018, 01:20:59 pm »

It looks like something I updated recently may have caused some rather big issues with functions.  (I recently made some changes in how functions work in order to make items that run cutscene-type attacks work better.  Added an item that when used causes you to grab a nearby enemy, jump up into the air and slam it down with an explosion.)  Buuut it looks like there were some issues in other areas.  All your code seems fine as far as I can tell.  So don't worry about it, I'll get it fixed up as soon as I find what went wrong.

Stores that use items as currency are planned.  Haven't gotten around to it yet.

The URL working with non-public files is...well, semi-intentional at least.  You can actually use it to link to external image files from other websites, though doing so sort of bypasses the credits system (though I guess I can add any sites linked directly in the credits as well), and some sites have policies against this.  I might have to think it over a bit.

I'm going to see if I can work out exactly what causes the crashes.  They do seem to have increased recently.

Sorry about all the bugs, I'll get them worked out as soon as possible.

That said, the Shadow Mage looks neat so far.  I couldn't figure out how you even made the beam attacks at first, pretty clever solution there.

EDIT: Oh, as for the returning fireballs - they were way more complicated than they had to be.  You only need a single class; just fire them as projectiles in different relative directions (like what you did with the enemy that shoots 3 fireballs), then after a timer, set them to jump (slowly, and with zero height) back to their origin point.  Actually, I should probably add a function for applying a directional force on an object, but it's not necessary for them.

In general, if you find yourself making multiple very similar copies of a class, you're probably overcomplicating things.  Well, either that, or I need to add something to remove the necessity to do so.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 23, 2018, 01:35:39 pm »

Okay. No worries. I guess I’ll just work on room design and maybe some music for now.

Okay. I just realized it would be nicer than using the golem venders from the first version of the dungeon.

Makes sense. Nearly impossible to exploit usefully anyways, since you would need to know the URL for the file you wanted, but the external site policy thing could be an issue.

K. I’ll tell you if I notice any patterns with them (besides often occurring when switching between editing/not-editing and rooms).

No worries. I run into bugs in everything for some reason, and you fix them at a pretty fast rate, so it is pretty good, all in all.

Thanks. I wanted to do something interesting with them, so I figured this would work better than a teleporty mage who shoots fireballs and clones everything. Plus, I thought going with a shadow themed boss would be more interesting than a mage boss for the idea of Shadowmage.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 23, 2018, 03:26:25 pm »

Figured out the problem - a quirk in the projectile code was causing any "fire projectile" event to skip the next event in the function.

I've also changed something in the room loading code that was eating up a lot of memory, which should hopefully make crashes less frequent, though there's still the intrinsic issue with running a program that can load arbitrarily large amounts of data in Chrome.  I wonder if other browsers have the same issue?
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 90