Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 146926 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #480 on: November 27, 2017, 04:14:35 pm »

Okay, that explains it. Thanks. Now I just have to figure out why my "bullets" (I disabled the bullet box (and ghostly)) aren't colliding and causing the poison _collision effect I made.

Okay, there are a few things going on here:

First, the potions don't have a vertical height, so they aren't going to collide with anything.  Maybe that shouldn't be an issue, but it is.
Second, hitboxes aren't made for functions, only techniques.  How did you get one there...?  Oh, I guess you copied and pasted.
Fortunately, you don't need a hitbox if you're using the _collision function.  This function already sets _other to the sprite being collided with, so if you run the venom function inside the _collision function it should work.
However, the _collision function will fire whenever the sprite collides with another object - including its creator.  "_touched" will fire only when colliding with the player.  Or, you can set a check to make sure that the object being collided with is not the creator; for example, {If _other != _this._creator}, or {If _other = @}.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 27, 2017, 04:24:53 pm »

Oh, okay. I’ll fix those. Thanks.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 27, 2017, 08:04:18 pm »

I think I've gotten a better handle on the combat changes (the standard dash-attack just makes you stay still if you're close enough to the targeted enemy now, and dashing without targeting only deals chip damage?), but the old ones still seem preferable to me.

I didn't want to make it too easy to ninja-slash back and forth through an enemy.  I've changed it so that colliding with an enemy during a non-targeted dash stops you but also deals the same damage as a targeted one.

What old ones are you referring to?

Combat mechanics, sorry. That definitely could've been clearer.

Not sure I fully understand what changes happened when, but the net result seems to be fine now. The thing I was experiencing before (untargeted attacks allowing ninja-dashing to happen, but causing little damage) was a little weird, but testing it now results in what you're describing, and that handles perfectly well.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 27, 2017, 09:46:22 pm »

Okay. I made the suggested changes, and the potions are colliding now, but the poison doesn't seem to be setting a target now. Any clue what could be wrong?
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 27, 2017, 11:48:14 pm »

The reference variable on the create event doesn't match the variable you're targeting.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 27, 2017, 11:49:04 pm »

Whoops. Thought I had fixed that. Thank you.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 28, 2017, 09:15:46 am »

Ooh, I see an item in the Monsters files. Spider Fang. Soon I should be able to adjust the issues with my original project.

Edit: Poison potion works, time to make the others and then the random tossing bit.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:30:24 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 28, 2017, 09:27:58 am »

Yeah, I'm working on the item system now.  You can get random drops from spiders, but they don't do anything.  Don't go messing with it just yet though, the system's still incomplete.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 28, 2017, 09:45:22 am »

Edit: Made a very silly projectile. It creates a doppleganger whenever it collides with anything. Very, very bad for player. Not planning on using it, but it was so silly.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:48:56 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 28, 2017, 09:51:33 am »

Actually the death explosion is going to have to be changed at some point, since it's stolen from an old game (but I do want to keep the same basic appearance with the face; your fireball enemies are a clever use of the graphic).  So better not to copy it.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 28, 2017, 09:53:02 am »

Okay. I decided against using it anyways, actually. Just isn't the way I want to go with potions. Too explody.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 10:22:08 am by Kamani »

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 28, 2017, 10:25:53 am »

This should be the last question for this project. I have finished all the potions (the stun potion logic is a little confusing, but it seems to work, testing still not totally finished), but I don't know how to set a variable in a range of numbers (say, between 1 and 10). This is definitely something I should know (and probably quite obvious), but due to my lack of coding experience, I don't.
Also, sorry about asking so many questions. I want to be able to do stuff in this, but I keep running into problems due to lack of knowledge.

Also, can an untransform player bit be added to functions at some point (or could you explain to me how to do this without that and without creating a new object)? I made it work by creating an invisible object that is spawns when my other invisible object's timer hits 60 and untransforms the player on touch, but this isn't really an optimal way to do this. It isn't a huge issue, just a minor thing that would be nice.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 28, 2017, 10:43:58 am »

_rand creates a random number between zero and one.  You can set another variable to this (to keep it from changing) and then test it using if/else if statements.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 28, 2017, 01:42:56 pm »

Thank you. I’ll do _rand times ten to make the if/else ifs a little easier. Once this is done, I will add it to the monster pack. It has poison, damage, fail (does nothing), heal (targeting its enemies), and stun (prevents activating all skills or moving for 60 frames (turns you into a doppelganger with no acceleration or skills and then untransforms you (which was a pain to work out))), so that should make the package more interesting. Stun only works on the player, and won’t affect other enemies, but the others should all work always.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 28, 2017, 03:36:06 pm »

Nicely done.  I added a function that if you use a transform event without setting a class, it will work as an untransform event instead.

I also made it possible to transform the sprite directly by changing their _class value; however the name of the class will not work for this, you need to store an actual class in a variable.  Set _class to _original_class should revert them to the original form.

That being said, you don't need to resort to transformations to get the stun to work - in fact, I'd advise against using transformations when possible.  Setting _speed to 0 will stop a sprite from moving.

To make status effects that modify a sprite's stats easier to work with, I added a bunch of read-only variables to the sprite class object.  This way, after changing a sprite's stats, you can easily change them back by setting them to the value in their class.  (For example, after setting a sprite's {_speed to 0}, you can return them to normal by setting {_speed to _class._speed}.

There will be proper stun and knockdown behaviors later on; the "poise" system will handle this but it's not quite done yet.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 90