Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 146924 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #465 on: November 26, 2017, 11:57:48 pm »

Yep, just confirmed--it's a safari thing!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 26, 2017, 11:58:42 pm »

Okay. Glad it works for you in Chrome.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 27, 2017, 12:08:10 am »

Ya, I think BoundWorlds is such a good idea for a game/project/universe/tool/experience. It could be something really special!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #468 on: November 27, 2017, 09:58:18 am »

I'm continuing to make some fixes for physics.  As such, I would advise against making worlds that rely on tricky jumps and precise maneuvers for the time being, as these are likely to break in the future.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 27, 2017, 10:14:50 am »

Okay. Thank you for the warning. Unfortunately, that cancels my current project until that changes, so I'll have to start a different one. Well, whatever. One block gaps will always be jumpable pretty easily in top down, right? Even if tricky stuff changes, I might want to include some basic stuff.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 27, 2017, 10:22:28 am »

Had to delete and recreate the object to get the existing copies to disappear, but the problem seems to be fixed now. Thanks for the help.

I am noticing some weird stuff with ladders and attack targeting, but it seems to be intentional. To be honest, I'm not sure I love the attack stuff (it's mostly just forcing me to use shift), but I assume you're not done tweaking.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 27, 2017, 11:28:59 am »

Yeah, I'm still tweaking it.  Feel free to offer suggestions.

Almost everything is possible, and thanks to transformations you can build your world around whatever physics you want.  That being said, I want the default avatar to be flexible and able to function in a wide variety of worlds, since the majority of builders probably are going to build their world around their abilities.

The main goals I am going for in building the default avatar are:

Some reward for skill, but generally unfriendly to world designs that require precision and pixel-perfect timing.  The game should be accessible to casual players so I want to discourage building worlds that are impassible without perfect skill.  Maximum jump distance should be as such so that a pit is either clearly jumpable or clearly not jumpable at all.

Running around should feel good.  Possibly some timing tricks could be used to move a bit faster so that wandering down corridors isn't so boring (sort of like rolling in Zelda, but less stupid).  At the same time, they should be more of an exploring character than a platformer.  They should not be able to jump too high or too far.  (Though there will likely be a common transformation with more Jumpman-friendly physics.)

Fighting abilities should be flexible enough that encountering different enemies will lead to different playstyles depending on the enemy's stats.  Some may require you to dodge around and hit them at the right moment, others are basically walls that you need to gauge your stamina to maximize damage without taking hits.

Concerning pit distance, my original plan was to just make one-tile pits the maximum, but I think this makes world designs too inflexible.  The current mobility is good, I think - two tiles horizontally, one tile vertically, or one tile up and horizontally (for "ascending stepping stones").  That's just flexible enough to offer variety to world builders, without encouraging excessively tricky jumps.  I'm not certain what this means for jumping down though; and as Kamani's first dungeon uses a lot of long downward jumps some of them might not work right.

I recently changed ladders (making it only possibly to climb when you are completely on the ladder tile) which looks and feels more realistic, but will likely break a few things.

Not yet 100% certain on ledge behaviors.  Right now there's no "ledge gravity" so you can walk right over the edge of a ledge and still kind of stand there, which looks weird.  I might change this too.

Like I said, feel free to offer any suggestions - the combat system is very flexible to the point where you can replicate almost any video game protagonist.  (I might test this theory by making a few).  I built the current combat around a dash move since this can be used both defensively and offensively, while also giving an ability for motion and crossing pits, but perhaps the execution could be improved.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 27, 2017, 02:31:41 pm »

Well, if jump length is changing, I’ll wait to do anything with jumps and work on my combat stuff. Did someone say teleporting fireball Mage time?

Additionally: can ghostly bullets be made to still hit the protagonist with melee? Assuming I didn’t miss the obvious and/or that wasn’t changed, that hasn’t worked for me.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 27, 2017, 02:55:24 pm »

There shouldn't be any difference between a ghostly and a non-ghostly object aside from its ability to pass through walls.  Bullet attacks are a bit odd though; objects with a melee attack power or knockback value but no cooldown or lunging values have a unique collision-based melee attack.  They should attack when colliding with a target, but not hit again until they leave the target's hitbox; this is intended for things like bullets.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 27, 2017, 03:00:10 pm »

The ladder change doesn't seem to have messed up too much, although adding an extra tile on top of the ones in some existing worlds would definitely ease up mobility. I haven't gotten a chance to look through the treasure dungeon yet, but the only other ones that leap to mind are the first ladder and the one-tile ladder in the testing tower.

I think I've gotten a better handle on the combat changes (the standard dash-attack just makes you stay still if you're close enough to the targeted enemy now, and dashing without targeting only deals chip damage?), but the old ones still seem preferable to me.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 27, 2017, 03:06:50 pm »

Treasure Dungeon might need some fixes, I'll check.

Okay, ghostly bullets seem to work sometimes, but not 100% of the time. You may want to try it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 27, 2017, 03:08:04 pm »

I think I've gotten a better handle on the combat changes (the standard dash-attack just makes you stay still if you're close enough to the targeted enemy now, and dashing without targeting only deals chip damage?), but the old ones still seem preferable to me.

I didn't want to make it too easy to ninja-slash back and forth through an enemy.  I've changed it so that colliding with an enemy during a non-targeted dash stops you but also deals the same damage as a targeted one.

What old ones are you referring to?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 27, 2017, 03:11:55 pm »

Other thing: I was looking at the potion effect, and it says If target != 0. What does target ! mean? I want to make some similar effects, so I was examining it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 27, 2017, 03:20:03 pm »

Other thing: I was looking at the potion effect, and it says If target != 0. What does target ! mean? I want to make some similar effects, so I was examining it.

The poison you mean?

Unset values equal 0.  "!=" means not equal.  So If target != 0 means if there is a target.
The poison effect has three parts to it.  First, the Bite technique's hitbox runs the Venom function.  This function creates a poison object, and then sets the poison's "target" variable to the object hit by the hitbox.  The poison itself runs a function on the target object when it updates.  The "If target != 0" is mainly there to catch possible errors.

There may be built-in status effects later, but for the time being this system can create many possible effects.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 27, 2017, 03:27:14 pm »

Okay, that explains it. Thanks. Now I just have to figure out why my "bullets" (I disabled the bullet box (and ghostly)) aren't colliding and causing the poison _collision effect I made.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 90