Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 146913 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #435 on: November 22, 2017, 08:24:58 am »

I added more options for media managing.  You can now add titles, descriptions, and most importantly, credits to uploaded media files.

Each credit row can have a name, a website, and a text field for any other important information relating to their role in creating the file.  Credits are shown when you select a file and will also be used to generate automatic credits reels later.

This means you can legally use any media under a Creative Commons license.  OpenGameArt has a ton of resources with this licensing.  Make sure to check the license before grabbing them, as not all of its files fall under CC.

EDIT: Also touched up some updating issues in the function editor.  I also changed some of the physics in sidescroller to top-down boundaries to make them feel more natural, mainly it stops you from climbing up walls.  Shouldn't cause any major issues, but it does alter movement in some areas a bit.

Next on the agenda: Items.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 23, 2017, 01:28:35 am »

Ooh, Items should be helpful. Although they still can't achieve quite what I want with my treasure hunter characters, who I want to know you in any world I put them in if you have met them in any other, even if you quit, but that seems unlikely to occur.

Edit: So I tried _room variables, but they aren't working and I can't figure out why. I set them from the Batelier object, so I don't know what is wrong this time. I probably messed up something obvious again. Sorry about asking for help on this one thing like twelve times, by the way.

Edit: Side note: The no climb changes to walls make it impossible to have a sprite fly up on to a platform on a fall wall up from a topdown tile. Could be an issue?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:52:01 am by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 23, 2017, 03:22:11 am »

You've almost got it; the variable is "_this" (with an underscore - all hard-coded variables start with an underscore).

And items are indeed intended to do exactly what you're looking for.  As you might imagine this can get tricky, but basically each item will be a variable that can be saved between worlds and between sessions.  Some items are simply numeric but others can store more complex information.  You can share an item between worlds by including them in a package which may or may not be public, and can set various restrictions to make them viable as loot.

Items used for memory alone will be called "mementos" and can store multiple bits of information using a partitioning system that will be explained in detail later (basically by compressing the information into a string, similar to how old-school password saves used to work).  Mementos can be made "clingy" to prevent the player from tossing them away, but there will also be objects (which may be called trash bins or Pools of Oblivion) where you can throw away any item that is not used by a given world.

The connection between mementos and time also figures into the plot and lore; basically objective time does not exist between the worlds, gates normally connect to points in time as well as space, and you need keepsakes to return to a time you have left.  So for your treasure hunters, they can give the player a memento the first time you meet them and this can be used to save that information between sessions.

As for the climb issues...I'm still working on them, yeah.  Ah, you were trying to make it possible to fly to the top of the tower?  Hm... Well, I'll try to get something fixed up for that.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 23, 2017, 03:26:04 am »

I should be able to solve the flying issue for now (it will just look odd).

That explains the issue. Oops, thanks.

Oh, okay. I didn’t realize items would be between sessions, so that should be tremendously helpful. Thank you for the explanation.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 04:45:19 pm by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 23, 2017, 05:01:30 pm »

Okay! I finally got the switch working. I do have one question though. When I switch between one avatar to another, and they both use the same button for a skill, they will both use the skill (This messed me up for a while because both the Batelier and the main player sprite had the V key to switch avatars, so it just acted oddly). This can be sort of problematic.

Edit: Okay, here is an odd one. After the avatar is switched, the player, if they hit space, examines every interactable in the room. If they move, they can no longer do this. I don't know why this is happening, or if it is an issue with my project or otherwise, but it is really annoying.

Edit: Also, my player character keeps moving back to one spot if you aren't controlling them. Could be really annoying.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 05:56:28 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 23, 2017, 05:56:14 pm »

Ah, yeah, right now all available abilities activate every frame their button is pressed.  I'm going to have to put in an option for detecting key presses and releases.

I added an option for dragging and dropping keyframes in the technique editor (using the timebar), so you can change the frame timing easier.  You can also merge two keyframes, but there is no quick way to undo this.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 23, 2017, 05:59:42 pm »

Uh, added two more issues to the last one, probably since you started typing. I'll just add copy them to here. Sorry about the confusion with that.

Edit: Okay, here is an odd one. After the avatar is switched, the player, if they hit space, examines every interactable in the room. If they move, they can no longer do this. I don't know why this is happening, or if it is an issue with my project or otherwise, but it is really annoying.

Edit: Also, my player character keeps moving back to one spot if you aren't controlling them. Could be really annoying.

Thank you.

Edit: Also, leaving a world when in edit mode and with a switched avatar seems to not trigger the save message. Potentially quite bad.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 06:06:24 pm by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 24, 2017, 01:06:04 am »

I fixed the interacting with every object in the room bug - seems that newly created objects didn't have their facing direction set properly, which threw off the interaction code.

The reason the player keeps moving back to the same spot is because you adapted it from the doppelganger sprite, which was designed as an enemy and has some AI behaviors - specifically, the Wandering Radius (under AI Behaviors -> Roaming Behavior) is set to 0, which means it will always return to its origin point when idle.  If you set it to -1 (a placeholder for "infinity" for most variables) it won't try to return to its origin.  Alternately, you can set _origin equal to _pos when switching, which will cause it to try and remain near the switching point instead.

I couldn't find any difference in leaving the world when switched or not.  Are you sure you just didn't try to exit the world without editing it since the last save?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 24, 2017, 01:37:16 am »

Oops, probably left after saving. Thanks for the doppelganger explanation. Also thank you for the interacting fix.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:10:14 am by Kamani »

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 24, 2017, 02:10:47 am »

Made the batelier switch/MC thing into a package named batswitch and made some placing objects to make it more easy to use. Again, feel free to try it out. Might come in handy for someone. The bat in the package isn't named Batelier, so you don't get obscure language puns included. How to use it is described in the description, but I made it pretty easy if you want to do simple things. Complicated things are up to you. I will note this: If you use the default switch skill, _room.bat = 1 means you are in bat form, whereas _room.bat = 0. This could be useful for puzzles and other tricks. Tell me what you think.

Edit: Can you make visible false objects visible in the editor? It can be really hard to figure out where you put them sometimes.

Edit: Tilesets cannot be removed from your unused tileset list, even if they aren't public ones.

Edit: Something odd: I have my batelier and special MC avatars' teams set to 1, but enemies are still non-hostile and can't be targeted. Any ideas what could be the issue?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:37:35 am by Kamani »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 24, 2017, 02:53:24 am »

Pretty cool stuff.

By the way, you can make packages more user-friendly by selecting the "hidden" option (at the bottom of the class editor) for any objects that are not meant to be placed directly on the map.  (For example, the monster package includes hidden "poison" and "death" objects.)

It looks like you might be making things much more complicated than they need to be though.  You can use the _create function to run an event once when the object is created (i.e. when the room starts and it's placed on the map) - you don't need to make objects that create other objects when updating and then destroy or transform themselves.  I think you can do everything this package needs to do using just a BatPlayed object and a hidden Special_MC object; just make the BatPlayed set all of the relevant variables in its _create (or alternatively, _checked) function.

I'll check up on the other things you mentioned.

Invisible objects do show up if you select their class for editing.  Maybe I'll add an option to show all hidden objects.

You aren't supposed to remove tilesets from the "unused tileset" list itself.  Basically, this was a solution for allowing global and packaged tilesets to be used; the "unused tilesets" are all global and packaged tilesets that are not currently being used in the layer; you click on the green (+) icon to add them.  (I guess the "New" button's placement is confusing.  Really it should be below the second list.  I'll fix it up later.)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 24, 2017, 02:55:50 am »

Oh, wasn’t aware. Will change. Anything on the non-hostile enemies issue in the last post (edited it a bunch again).

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 24, 2017, 03:24:25 am »

The issue with targeting has a few points:

The reason why enemies cannot target you is because neither playable objects have Targetable Unit checked.

To target enemies, you must set an Aggro Radius to something other than 0.  You must also set Horizontal Spread and Vertical Spread under Targeting Vision.  The default is supposed to be -1 for both of these (which means the facing direction doesn't matter), but you have it set to 0 for some reason...

Oh, I guess you were trying to make the player not attack enemies when they aren't being controlled... Hm.  The AI system wasn't really made for objects that remain idle when you're not playing as them but can fight when you are.  Okay, I'll add another option.

EDIT: Okay, I made it possible for player-controlled sprites to target enemies within their Vision Distance (under AI Behaviors->Targeting Vision), but AI controlled sprites will not go into combat mode unless they are within Aggro Radius.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 24, 2017, 12:10:43 pm »

Thank you. That should be very helpful.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 25, 2017, 02:33:42 pm »

Various improvements made to the batswitch package (Easier to use and fixed targeting). Thank you.

Edit: Also, I somehow flew through a roof in testing in the starting room. Unsure why.

Edit: Still can't get my avatars to target with the most recent changes. Enemies target them, since I fixed the other issue, but this one remains unsolved for me. Probably missed something obvious, but not sure what.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 04:09:07 pm by Kamani »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 90