Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: You own a gladiator school!- The first few steps!  (Read 5159 times)

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You own a gladiator school!- The first few steps!
« on: March 30, 2014, 05:17:09 am »

This will be a suggestion game situated in a  late medieval fantasy fictional world. You will have control over a Gladiator school. Will you lead it to glory or shall if fall into ashes? That is up to bay12.

The Eldar Empire is at its prime. Even with their strange magic the barbaric tribes in the south and west are no match against our technologically superior armies equipped with both gunpowder and steel.  Easthall flourish and everyday new exotic items, slaves and creatures are imported from the frontlines.
Your father, Appius, recently passed away peacefully, and his holdings were divided among your brothers and you. Your sister Decima are already betrothed with Cato Livius, a rather powerful noble with much to say in the senate. Their marriage is due in the next few months. Your elder brother, Primus,  inherited most of your fathers holdings, his political office and the family mansion, your widowed mother lives here as well. Roumor has it that he is already planning his first grand feast inviting every youngster with any kind of influence whatsoever. Your younger brother, always the ambitious one, got a position i the army and is already making a name of himself at the western front. He promises that “Tertius" will be a named to be feared and honoured in every corner of the Eldar empire.

And you, stuck with your fathers failed pet project. His abandoned Gladiator-school. He commanded you to restore it “to its former glory”, even though you are quite sure it never had very much glory to begin with. That's what you get for years of lojal service to your family. You are determined to make the most of what you have. Successful Gladiator-schools are highly regarded in the empire, there are grand tournaments in the capitol several times a year, and if your school manage win a few of them you will have the chance to win fame, fortune and political power.
But you have a long road to walk.

There is a lot to decide.
First and foremost you need a first name and a surname.

Your character is of noble birth,, you know how to ride, read, write  and have basic knowledge in most academic subjects. During your  education you showed showed much promise in two of the following areas:
Martial arts: The ability to use sword and hand cannons in combat. This gives you the ability to better assess the combat ability for humans and monsters as well.
Rhetoric: The ability to speak publicly
Gunpowder Knowledge: You have extensive knowledge about gunpowder, and have the ability create both cannons bombs.
Academic knowledge: You have studied a specific subject at the academy where you excel most scholars. Decide for yourself.
Negotiator: You are a great barter and have a knack for estimating the value of goods.
Arcane knowledge: You have studied the strange barbarian magic. And you might even know a trick or two.

Where is your gladiator school located?
1. In the centre of Narsis, your hometown and the second largest city in the empire. You will have shorter distances to trade, tournaments and the political intrigue of the city. But it will make it much more expansive to expand your school, and it will also cause trouble if you decide to commit some less that legal actions.
2. In the  poorer outskirts of Narsis, your hometown and the second largest city in the empire. Its cheaper to expand and its not to far to the centre of the town. But there will be a lot of shady people in your area, and other schools will have an easier time striking against you without the risk of facing legal repercussions.     
3. On the the countryside outside of Narsis, your hometown and the second largest city in the empire. You will have a lot of chances to expand and build a great school and mansion alike. But it takes quite a long time to travel to Narsis. Which might hamper your trade and it will require more planning when your joining a tournament.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:01:44 pm by Evil Marahadja »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: You own a gladiator school!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 06:15:13 am »

Lars Silverveins
Arcane Knowledge
Gunpowder Knowledge
((Does anyone else think that we will inevitably use our gladiators against the barbarians in a ridiculous battle to stop a daemon summoner or whatever? Just me?))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:35:13 am »

Marius Stonejawed Secundus ? ? (triple name, as suggested by Avis-Mergulus)

Martial arts Negotiator & Gunpowder knowledge
2, definetely

((Yeah, and our students would be on the very edge of every attack))

EDIT: My opinion slightly changed with discussion.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:57:29 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:40:54 am »

Secundus Icilius Speratus

Negotiator, Arcane Knowledge

And yes, certainly 2.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 08:43:25 am »

Darius Cummanis Destritus
Martial Arts
Negotiator

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 12:28:47 pm »

Hexeris Magnus

Martial Arts, Arcane Knowledge.

2, for school warfare goodies.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 04:21:19 pm »

Lars Silverveins
Arcane Knowledge
Gunpowder Knowledge
((Does anyone else think that we will inevitably use our gladiators against the barbarians in a ridiculous battle to stop a daemon summoner or whatever? Just me?))

Time for a street war...guns and magic  >:(

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 04:24:12 pm »

Power the magitech bombs, my pretties.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 02:21:52 am »

Lars Silverveins
Arcane Knowledge
Gunpowder Knowledge

Should I count those as votes for something? If not, Martial arts and Arcane Knowledge have the lead.
Update later today guys!

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 02:28:06 am »

I'm a postin' to be a watchin'.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 02:38:40 am »

Secundus Icilius Speratus

Negotiator, Arcane Knowledge

And yes, certainly 2.
+1
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 04:21:39 am »

I dunno, I think we'll be sitting here for pretty long if everybody just suggests their own character, so I'll explain the motivation behind my choice to garner support or something.

Name: Roman men had three-part names, consisting of a praenomen(given name), nomen(clan name), and something-nomen(family name). I called him Secundus because it's stated that he is the second son of his family, and Romans had no imagination. I have no objections to anybody changing the "Icilius Speratus" bit to sound cooler.

Skills: I think it would be fun to play a businessman-scholar type guy who just suddenly gets a gladiator school dumped onto his lap and decides to exercise his superior business skills on it.

“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 04:45:59 am »

I agree with you on Secundus and three-part name, but that's all.

Bureucracy is fine and everything, but what has Arcane knowledge to do with it? In my view, it's better to become sligtly out-of-world inventor with Gunpowder tendencies. Training battle engeneers, anyone? Also, think about taking few tons of dynamite to the Coliseum  :D
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 04:52:15 am »

I agree with you on Secundus and three-part name, but that's all.

Bureucracy is fine and everything, but what has Arcane knowledge to do with it? In my view, it's better to become sligtly out-of-world inventor with Gunpowder tendencies. Training battle engeneers, anyone? Also, think about taking few tons of dynamite to the Coliseum  :D
I concede to the gunpowder thing. For me it's important that he has no actual combat skills and has to train gladiators, or find trainers for gladiators, whatever. Gunpowder is okay.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 09:53:08 am »

Lars Silverveins
Arcane Knowledge
Gunpowder Knowledge

Should I count those as votes for something? If not, Martial arts and Arcane Knowledge have the lead.
Update later today guys!
Yeah probably. These people have yet to submit their own sheets and seem to support mine so I would count those as plus ones unless they submit their own sheet in the future.
Pages: [1] 2 3