Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 297430 times)

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! Looking For Players!
« Reply #3720 on: July 11, 2017, 05:18:10 am »

I can give it a try. I also have another idea for a beginner fef so there's that.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: July 11, 2017, 08:51:19 am »

I am looking for someone who is a FEoF host or wants to be one. Someone capable of making maps and hosting battles. This can be a beginner FEoF or more.

The project will be cohosted with me for a short time, if we both like it it can grow into more. This project is a hybrid of FireEmblem and Majesty.

Details, good sir, details.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: July 11, 2017, 04:17:42 pm »

On a semirelated note I'm gonna start looking for 6 newbs for a beginner FEF. Will last 5-6 chapters and be somewhat streamlined, those who are interested post here.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3723 on: July 11, 2017, 04:20:01 pm »

I am looking for someone who is a FEoF host or wants to be one. Someone capable of making maps and hosting battles. This can be a beginner FEoF or more.

The project will be cohosted with me for a short time, if we both like it it can grow into more. This project is a hybrid of FireEmblem and Majesty.

Details, good sir, details.
^^This.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: July 11, 2017, 04:25:47 pm »

On a semirelated note I'm gonna start looking for 6 newbs for a beginner FEF. Will last 5-6 chapters and be somewhat streamlined, those who are interested post here.

Good luck Soly. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
  • loveless power is abusive powerless love is anemic
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! FEF2 HAS FINISHED!
« Reply #3725 on: July 11, 2017, 04:28:27 pm »

fef is dead

i come back and it's just

dead

where are all the ships and supports and fun times

how can we revive it

new blood is needed but where

Well, I sort of told them so. FEF is about tactics and roleplay, and neither is very entertaining if it's just torturously (as in ... ... ... *BUMP* ... ... "Muh exams." ... ... ... *BUMP* ... "12-5." ... ... ... ... ... "Guys, I'm sorry but I don't have time to run this anymore.") going through the motions. Predictability is not fun, unless you're a very small child or an imbecile.

So what if someone dies? They can come back later on because they weren't really dead, or they were resurrected. Or just suck it up and make a new, better character.

So what if you're losing a battle? If you really enjoy the game, then you can always find a way forward. You might be given the option to surrender. The cavalry might arrive. Or something. It's not the end of the world, unless you're making it so.

Noob or vet, we gamers thrive in an environment where creativity and initiative is allowed to flow freely. Let people try unusual things. Let the "wrong" thing happen. Keep things rolling, even if some parts get shaken loose along the way. Then FEF might be fun and feel alive again. I hope that it does, because it has been great before, and it still has great potential.

I mean, why not give it a try? What do you have to lose? Run a "free for all, jump right in, do your thing" FEF instead of a "beginner's for dummies" FEF. Fast and furious FEF can't be any harder to run or play than by-the-book FEF. Once upon a time, there was no book and no veterans, but there was plenty of good times.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: July 11, 2017, 04:34:08 pm »

Beginner FEF is exactly that, no veterans to make plans, just noobs making moves. That's what FEF1 was.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: July 11, 2017, 05:25:52 pm »

Sounds good. I understood it as a tutorial-mode, point A to point B, five easy steps, idiot-proof, absolutely no surprises kind of thing. If it isn't, then go for it!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: July 11, 2017, 05:37:58 pm »

So what if someone dies? They can come back later on because they weren't really dead, or they were resurrected.

I personally would advocate against either of these methods. Character death should have weight and meaning, especially in a game emulating a series where permanent death is a major bullet point.

Or just suck it up and make a new, better character.

If your character does die, this is the way to address it, I feel.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: July 11, 2017, 06:06:29 pm »

I would like to participate in a beginner game.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: July 11, 2017, 08:00:41 pm »

fef is dead

i come back and it's just

dead

where are all the ships and supports and fun times

how can we revive it

new blood is needed but where

Well, I sort of told them so. FEF is about tactics and roleplay, and neither is very entertaining if it's just torturously (as in ... ... ... *BUMP* ... ... "Muh exams." ... ... ... *BUMP* ... "12-5." ... ... ... ... ... "Guys, I'm sorry but I don't have time to run this anymore.") going through the motions. Predictability is not fun, unless you're a very small child or an imbecile.

So what if someone dies? They can come back later on because they weren't really dead, or they were resurrected. Or just suck it up and make a new, better character.

So what if you're losing a battle? If you really enjoy the game, then you can always find a way forward. You might be given the option to surrender. The cavalry might arrive. Or something. It's not the end of the world, unless you're making it so.

Noob or vet, we gamers thrive in an environment where creativity and initiative is allowed to flow freely. Let people try unusual things. Let the "wrong" thing happen. Keep things rolling, even if some parts get shaken loose along the way. Then FEF might be fun and feel alive again. I hope that it does, because it has been great before, and it still has great potential.

I mean, why not give it a try? What do you have to lose? Run a "free for all, jump right in, do your thing" FEF instead of a "beginner's for dummies" FEF. Fast and furious FEF can't be any harder to run or play than by-the-book FEF. Once upon a time, there was no book and no veterans, but there was plenty of good times.

You're demonstrating a staggering ignorance of how FEFs work. You're coming in here and saying I told you so after you quit a game because other people played it differently than you did. You're implying we're all imbeciles or children when you left a game because you didn't get your way and that apparently made the game unfun.

People dying is part of the game. There have been exactly 0 games in the FEF series where characters died and were allowed back in *or* where characters died and their players were allowed to create new characters (except for one where the death was planned from the beginning and that prolly shouldn't have happened I say as one of the people involved in it).

Losing a battle can in fact be the end of the game. Not always but it can be. And more importantly, people like to win. We'll accept losing a battle if we absolutely have to, but at the end of the day, we're going to try as hard as we can to win. The difficulty setting of FEF is high, and it's win or lose 99% of the time. Games have adapted to lost battles. But that doesn't mean that it's the optimal ending or that there wasn't a better way to handle it.

People are allowed to try new things and do stuff. The problem comes when your "trying new things" affects people other than your character. No one wants to die because someone else made a stupid decision. There needs to be give and take with this creativity that you want.

If you want a game like that, you run it. You're coming in here telling us why we're wrong and how it could be so much better. So prove it. Go run it. Show us why your ideas are better than ours instead of sitting back and saying "Ah yes, I was right, see?" Because right now you're being a bit of an asshole and that's not going to make anyone want to listen to you.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: July 12, 2017, 02:39:15 pm »

Well good news is there's someone interested in beginning in FEF, we need more. Not long ago some people were interested in one so I'm poking them here: Wolfhunter107 and Felissan, still interested?

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: July 12, 2017, 02:41:00 pm »

Well good news is there's someone interested in beginning in FEF, we need more. Not long ago some people were interested in one so I'm poking them here: Wolfhunter107 and Felissan, still interested?

Yeah, I'm definitely still interested.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! Looking For Beginner Players!
« Reply #3733 on: July 12, 2017, 03:00:49 pm »

Sure, why not.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Mopsy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: July 12, 2017, 03:15:50 pm »

People dying is part of the game. There have been exactly 0 games in the FEF series where characters died and were allowed back in *or* where characters died and their players were allowed to create new characters (except for one where the death was planned from the beginning and that prolly shouldn't have happened I say as one of the people involved in it).
Perhaps there should be. There's nothing stopping people from doing it. My point was really that one shouldn't feel obliged to keep a game on narrow rails just to keep all the characters alive, because there are less restrictive ways to mitigate the PC permadeath issue.

Losing a battle can in fact be the end of the game. Not always but it can be. And more importantly, people like to win. We'll accept losing a battle if we absolutely have to, but at the end of the day, we're going to try as hard as we can to win. The difficulty setting of FEF is high, and it's win or lose 99% of the time. Games have adapted to lost battles. But that doesn't mean that it's the optimal ending or that there wasn't a better way to handle it.
I'm going to have to disagree with you about the supreme importance of winning. It's better to lose in an eventful, character-rich game than to win in one that is pure grinding ennui. And again, nothing is stopping you from lowering the difficulty, if that's the limiting factor. It's just a knob for the GM to turn.

People are allowed to try new things and do stuff. The problem comes when your "trying new things" affects people other than your character. No one wants to die because someone else made a stupid decision. There needs to be give and take with this creativity that you want.
Of course it will affect other people. Interacting with each other and the GM's world, doing things we can't do in reality, that's the whole point of role-playing games. Do you get pissed when you die because the GM made the "stupid decision" to let the big monster attack your character, too?

Players should be free to play their characters as they see fit, short of willfully sabotaging the game. For example, Adrien's behavior in FEF 1 strayed somewhat close to sabotage, but even that was successfully integrated into the story, leading to unique events and promoting character interaction (because here was something that was hard to ignore, sides to take, etc.).

If you want a game like that, you run it. You're coming in here telling us why we're wrong and how it could be so much better. So prove it. Go run it. Show us why your ideas are better than ours instead of sitting back and saying "Ah yes, I was right, see?" Because right now you're being a bit of an asshole and that's not going to make anyone want to listen to you.
Yeah, you have a point there. While there's nothing wrong with making a suggestion, it's better to actually do something yourself. But muh exams job!
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 300