Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 298005 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! FEF1PDF proper beta released!
« Reply #2745 on: January 23, 2016, 04:40:23 pm »

Oh, I'm more debating with Twin than you :P
Thisis me being fatigued x-x i need sleep and hugs.
Thanks for the debating :P

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: January 27, 2016, 11:21:33 am »

So, much to my chagrin, I have been informed (and provided logs of) yet another argument on the IRC channel as of late. I don't like this at all, especially because I like all you guys and I don't want to take sides.

It seems that with real-time conversation some pretty cool peeps from around here can go crazy with insults and such on a moment's notice only to defend themselves with snark and whatever.

I will have to re-consider if official FEFgames IRC channel should still be maintained or if we should go back to individual OOC topics. I remember that in the latter arguments were less frequent and less severe.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: January 27, 2016, 12:21:51 pm »

Unorthodox actions like people being creative when they see something by visual design, and working around with it under bounds of reason. This can be talked about in the OOC anyway if uncertain, but I would like to make things...reward creativity. :P (ie You see shallow water nearby. You are a fire-caster. You spend that 1 QL of your weapon and your full turn, to make that pool of water into fog, creating a 2-tile wide fog of war which may block enemy sight and ranged weaponry!)
Hah, that's neat.

I'm gonna drop this here.
IO, You inspire me a lot by how you work with communication. It is very inspiring and something to look up on, on how your wording gives a very clear-cut meaning (with silly humor). Thankies much :D
Dawww, no problem. :3

> Is there some kind of template for class-making? How did Haspen make his Alchemist? Or that Tactician?
Not that I know of, and no idea. When in doubt, copying and then modifying whatever class is closest to what you're going for is a good bet.

> I'm unsure what's a situational ability and what generally isn't D: Are there any general parameters for one to consider?
It's just a matter of how often and how obviously it comes up, and how well it fits into someone's mental image of the character. Though come to think of it, I guess you'll be the one needing to remember rather than the players... but then, if they forget they have an ability then it's hard to take advantage of it.

For instance, bonus defense on forest tiles is situational, but forest tiles are fairly common and standing on them to be tougher is fairly common, so it's probably easy for everyone to remember. The player will most likely be thinking "Okay, where's some forest tiles? It's really good to get on forest tiles where possible." The GM will most likely be thinking "Okay, his turn. Right, he's on forest tiles again, so he gets the bonus." It becomes a part of his character, especially if it matches really well thematically.

On the other hand, consider a bonus to attacking priests on forest tiles. Well... it's still situational, but it's also rare. You're probably not gonna fight too many priests, and the priests you do fight probably aren't going to be on forest tiles a lot, and there's only so much you can do to encourage that to happen... so the player will most likely not be stalking the map, thinking to themselves "Okay, I'm good at attacking priests on forest tiles. Time to find the priests on forest tiles." The GM will likewise probably not be thinking "Okay, his turn. Ah yes, is he attacking a priest on a forest tile?" It's not really a part of his character, especially if it doesn't fit all that well thematically.

So there aren't any hard and fast rules, but you should consider how often a trait is likely to come up, how often players can influence when it comes up, and how thematically it's going to fit their characters. If sand is a really common terrain type and the players are all Arabian themed, Sandwalking is likely to be an easy to remember ability. If sand is fairly rare and the characters are all European-looking, it's likely to be the kind of thing you forget about except in rare circumstances.

The world map thing sounds interesting. Good luck refining everything out.

> @Neat Tricks: Probably as a balance to the Cohort system//additional stuffs I plan to implement. It's more like 'my thoughts are messy-they made sense before and...err. Let me gather them again @_@' wherein it seems to make "a bit more sense" when you begin to expand other details of the battlefield. (and probably help those who are just 'moving along'//are too slow, so they can at least be partly more useful :P )
Ah. Well, careful that you don't end up trying to solve complexity with more complexity. :P

It's a bad idea because it's almost impossible to balance it, plus characters tend to be overpowered enough as it is by the end. As has already been pointed out, just the difference in the two that you've already suggested are huge. And then some are very map specific (ignoring desert tiles) vs some that are always around (disarm is a free skill/gets a 5% chance to disarm) so either you need to work *very* hard to balance things or you need to reduce the amount of bonuses because it's going to be unbalanced.
Everything in here is always true. It's not like FEF is super balanced, it just works because it's good enough and interesting. Endgame characters being really overpowered isn't going to be made much worse by a few free statups. There's no point avoiding something interesting just because "it might be unbalanced" or "it'll take work to make balanced." You don't get an actual game like that, and you certainly don't get FEF.

Really, the issue is that while +2 HP is one possible stat in 2 levels, +15 starting stats is like three good levels. And two of those stat points can be put into HP. Really, +2 HP can't be compared at all. The closest bonus would be an extra +2 to spend in a addition to the +4 everyone gets under the same restrictions. And even then, the fact that you can choose which stat or stats it goes into makes it so that there's literally no reason to pick the +2 HP over the other one.
Oh. ._. I didn't consider any of that. There goes my narrative hook.
What about +5 HP? :P
...Maybe I should run a test-FEF to iron out the creases?

edoot:
You might want to try and run a short unedited game first to get a better understanding of the effort required and a better understanding of the balance of the game. There's some stuff you can really get a better understanding of when you run a game.
Yaaaaaay :D
Testing is good. Testing is also time-consuming. Absolutely do it if you think it'll give you good data, but don't let it turn into a substitute or obstacle to planning or running your actual game.

So, much to my chagrin, I have been informed (and provided logs of) yet another argument on the IRC channel as of late. I don't like this at all, especially because I like all you guys and I don't want to take sides.

It seems that with real-time conversation some pretty cool peeps from around here can go crazy with insults and such on a moment's notice only to defend themselves with snark and whatever.

I will have to re-consider if official FEFgames IRC channel should still be maintained or if we should go back to individual OOC topics. I remember that in the latter arguments were less frequent and less severe.
I don't really go in there, but this makes me sad.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: February 10, 2016, 06:31:11 am »

My laptop seems to be dying so I might not be around much for a little bit.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: February 10, 2016, 07:13:03 am »

My laptop seems to be dying so I might not be around much for a little bit.

...do you want to send all your FEF stuff to me via email for safekeeping? :P
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: February 19, 2016, 07:47:01 pm »

I was bored and made the cast of FEF1 in XCOM2.

I did the best I could to keep it mod free for easy sharing, but I wound up using this one for the wizard hats.

Edit: Gah forgot that I had attached a placeholder last name to Riven. Will fix that as soon as I figure out what to replace it with.

EDITEDIT: Fixed a couple errors I made.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:20:17 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: March 08, 2016, 07:54:51 am »

(13:51:08) prettyprettynun: hatkitty i had a dream about you last night
(13:51:20) prettyprettynun: you were making a new fef
(13:51:31) prettyprettynun: where all the characters were reverse centaurs
(13:51:36) prettyprettynun: body of a man, head of a horse
(13:52:18) prettyprettynun: neigh emblem on forums
SigFlags!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: March 08, 2016, 11:31:04 am »

So...? When can we expect Neigh Emblem on Forums, Haspen?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: March 08, 2016, 12:01:59 pm »

Sometime after Easter.
SigFlags!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: March 13, 2016, 05:50:18 pm »

I don't know if anyone's been paying attention, but FEF5 now has an open character slot.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: March 15, 2016, 02:43:36 pm »

Posting so I have this recorded something for later when I need a(nother) post-apo FEF:

(20:37:26) Hatkitty: http://i.imgur.com/XGrBJuX.png "In the year 199X, on the post-apocalyptic Earth... *heavy metal chord*"
(20:39:05) Gigla: the skeleton war had begun?
(20:40:03) Hatkitty: great now I imagine skeletons riding dinosaurs blasting each other with laser rifles amongst ruins of Detroit while thunder rolls over the red-clouded sky
(20:40:57) Hatkitty: all while in the post-nuclear swamplands a tribe of mutant frogmen hold a council about invading the skeletal realm
(20:41:37) Gigla: Oh yeah! it's an old school dinosaur laser fight!
(20:41:48) Gigla: hatkitty: now we know the setting for next fef? :P
(20:41:54) Gigla: but yeah, that sounds pretty awesome
(20:43:55) Hatkitty: velociraptor riders as speedy mounted units (pegasi)
(20:43:59) Hatkitty: t-rexes for wyverns
(20:44:10) Hatkitty: magos being users of pre-war nano-pads
(20:44:13) Hatkitty: aka books of doom
(20:44:18) Hatkitty: and warriors being warriors, duh
(20:44:23) Hatkitty: this can actually work
SigFlags!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: March 15, 2016, 02:54:24 pm »

So you would completely remove flying units from the game?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: March 15, 2016, 03:02:30 pm »

Well, with dinosaurs straight out of the lost world, the stage is already set for ray guns and jetpacks...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: March 15, 2016, 03:02:53 pm »

Maybe they could ride pterodactyls?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 300