Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 298031 times)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! FEF1PDF proper beta released!
« Reply #2730 on: January 23, 2016, 03:46:44 pm »

...Don't try to have vampire characters in games that don't have vampires.
i was more thinking an albino really i was just saying they could defintly be a vampire if wanted i have no intention of playing a vampire.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: January 23, 2016, 03:48:34 pm »

Err albinos usually have pale blue eyes, not red. It's just they tend to have red eyes in photographs more.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: January 23, 2016, 03:49:46 pm »

Err albinos usually have pale blue eyes, not red. It's just they tend to have red eyes in photographs more.
Really i never knew that?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: January 23, 2016, 04:07:18 pm »

I think even the eyes that are actually pink are just, well, sorta pink, rather than endless-pools-of-blood red.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: January 23, 2016, 04:08:43 pm »

I think even the eyes that are actually pink are just, well, sorta pink, rather than endless-pools-of-blood red.
Then she shall have pink eyes!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: January 23, 2016, 04:14:12 pm »

Unless someone makes them, no, she shall not :P
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: January 23, 2016, 04:18:46 pm »

Unless someone makes them, no, she shall not :P
Correct but it's always better to imagine it will happen or it never will.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: January 23, 2016, 04:19:43 pm »

I don't think it's an issue as long as you don't see in happen in-game. The midquel does seem interesting...
I think it's an issue in that people are directly feeling the perceived problem, but their wording goes along the 'most oriented idea', which may not match that specificity :O
Where I see it--the lore just needs a bit of refining. You can NOT base a race or societal culture fully along a deviant ethic alone, because that makes such a society become a 'flat "character"'. While it does make it a good prop for worldbuilding, it heavily discounts the space for character and behavioral building, unless the perspective is deconstructed. :P
But yeah. Making it revolve around deviant ethics as if that makes them stand is...a wide-scale no.

Also what swordstar said .-. That wording Hasp. I know you meant more, but...the wording and the responses shown here poke at it.
Hat: I think one part about FEFs that I have extremely enjoyed so far is that there has not been anything involving rape*. Which is what sex slavery is. And that's a huge issue for me.

*as far as I know. There was one backstory that had to be modified because of it and one backstory that wasn't allowed because of it but besides that, yeah.

Uhh, tl;dr: Central point of narrative focus + wording = audience response.

And now that I'm back from my 6 day leave...
==+=+==
+==+==+
==+=+==
Everything I've not mentioned, I assume are mutually ok and acknowledged :O (If anything you remember was of need of mention, please poke! I'm very fatigued at the moment/these past few days, and will most likely miss things!)
1) That didn't really answer - will there be a pegasus equivalent in classes? Will ordinary horse be replaced too, then?
[...]
4) Define "unorthodox actions".
I now notice my unspecifity in reality, compared to my specificity in my thoughts. I am enlightened by your constructive criticism! :))
The idea of those bird-creatures replace the Pegasus and the Wyvern--horses are alright, since the former 2 seem more context dependent given the FE universe. Otherwise, all roles are generally the same and just up for lore-modifications (you can think of it as 'renamed classes + different sprites, also ostrich-like mounts' in short), along with minor shifts to their stats...but that goes with me learning on class making. :-\
Unorthodox actions like people being creative when they see something by visual design, and working around with it under bounds of reason. This can be talked about in the OOC anyway if uncertain, but I would like to make things...reward creativity. :P (ie You see shallow water nearby. You are a fire-caster. You spend that 1 QL of your weapon and your full turn, to make that pool of water into fog, creating a 2-tile wide fog of war which may block enemy sight and ranged weaponry!)

Spoiler: Classes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Campaign (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Regions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neat Tricks (click to show/hide)
I'm gonna drop this here.
IO, You inspire me a lot by how you work with communication. It is very inspiring and something to look up on, on how your wording gives a very clear-cut meaning (with silly humor). Thankies much :D
> Is there some kind of template for class-making? How did Haspen make his Alchemist? Or that Tactician?
> On the bird-thing, it's an in-lore change from Pegasi and probably Wyverns. It's more aesthetic and such than that, and possibly more variant, given the wide utility...in my offline notes...about them x_x
Meaning that I'm not technically removing pegasus riders. Those riders are just riding not-winged-horses! The niche still exists, it's under a different name.
-- I also agree on the long-ish campaign. On deep reflection on myself, I either need: support from friends, or GM-ing confidence, because my anxiety cuts deep given...the state of this response, and...affecting me meeting deadlines for a game review I promised a very good friend.  :-\
> I'm unsure what's a situational ability and what generally isn't D: Are there any general parameters for one to consider?
-- You're a genius and I am eureka'd. That kind of reframing was what I was exactly looking for! I was uncomfortable with how I wrote that and- ohhh thanks a ton.
> Gonna change Battle mechanics by talking with others :)
> @Neat Tricks: Probably as a balance to the Cohort system//additional stuffs I plan to implement. It's more like 'my thoughts are messy-they made sense before and...err. Let me gather them again @_@' wherein it seems to make "a bit more sense" when you begin to expand other details of the battlefield. (and probably help those who are just 'moving along'//are too slow, so they can at least be partly more useful :P )
> @Headpats: Yeaaaah this is why you inspire me. :'( It's even worded very cutely!

...I'm just going to note that +15 starting stats seems incredibly overpowered compared to +2 HP.
How's about +10 to starting stats; cannot be placed in stat potentials over 50%, or in stat potentials below 30%, and cannot exceed a threshold limit of 5 points from the bonus amount in total. {May be messy worded! I'm tired D:}
> Is +2 HP ok though? That's a relative equivalent of 2 successful levels of HP :D

Spoiler: Thoughts (click to show/hide)
Aww. Bad idea D: I was aiming for the theme of 'these dudes seem to be better because of training so...' so there'd be a tiny bit of a shift, but one that isn't *TOO* significant as to really skew the tides of battle. Since...the general idea of the campaign is crossing nations in the end. :P I'll be gathering insight along the way, thanks! :D {Could I ask more details on why it's a bad idea?}
> Most reasons on terrain swappity's is...because I'm ambitious? .-.  I should talk with Xanmy over it x_x
> It was more on the half-baked side as well as the cohorts until I began re-gathering my notes :'( It sounds good on paper though!

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: January 23, 2016, 04:25:56 pm »

Really, the issue is that while +2 HP is one possible stat in 2 levels, +15 starting stats is like three good levels. And two of those stat points can be put into HP. Really, +2 HP can't be compared at all. The closest bonus would be an extra +2 to spend in a addition to the +4 everyone gets under the same restrictions. And even then, the fact that you can choose which stat or stats it goes into makes it so that there's literally no reason to pick the +2 HP over the other one.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: January 23, 2016, 04:26:57 pm »

It's a bad idea because it's almost impossible to balance it, plus characters tend to be overpowered enough as it is by the end. As has already been pointed out, just the difference in the two that you've already suggested are huge. And then some are very map specific (ignoring desert tiles) vs some that are always around (disarm is a free skill/gets a 5% chance to disarm) so either you need to work *very* hard to balance things or you need to reduce the amount of bonuses because it's going to be unbalanced.

Battle formation sounds like another thing that might work in theory but would require a lot of time and playtesting to balance correctly.

You might want to try and run a short unedited game first to get a better understanding of the effort required and a better understanding of the balance of the game. There's some stuff you can really get a better understanding of when you run a game.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: January 23, 2016, 04:28:20 pm »

Really, the issue is that while +2 HP is one possible stat in 2 levels, +15 starting stats is like three good levels. And two of those stat points can be put into HP. Really, +2 HP can't be compared at all. The closest bonus would be an extra +2 to spend in a addition to the +4 everyone gets under the same restrictions. And even then, the fact that you can choose which stat or stats it goes into makes it so that there's literally no reason to pick the +2 HP over the other one.
Oh. ._. I didn't consider any of that. There goes my narrative hook.
What about +5 HP? :P
...Maybe I should run a test-FEF to iron out the creases?

edoot:
You might want to try and run a short unedited game first to get a better understanding of the effort required and a better understanding of the balance of the game. There's some stuff you can really get a better understanding of when you run a game.
Yaaaaaay :D

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: January 23, 2016, 04:30:16 pm »

-snip-
Again, any kind of +HP versus +Starting stats is no comparison because of the fact you can put starting stats into HP. Maybe +5 HP versus +2 starting stats.

Also, if you run a test FEF, I'll join it.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: January 23, 2016, 04:32:12 pm »

Even that is unbalanced. That's the issue. That's why what I did (+2/-2 starting stats) is simple but a smart way of handling it. It's easily balanced and you don't need to debate "Hey, is 5 HP better than 2 SPD?" Balancing maaaaajor changes like Tir wants is hard and for sure not something that should be done for first ever game.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: January 23, 2016, 04:34:33 pm »

Eep .-. I hope I wasn't sounding like I was debating. In my eyes I was more pushing out ideas for friendly critique :O
Thanks for all that! c:

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: January 23, 2016, 04:35:50 pm »

Oh, I'm more debating with Twin than you :P
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 300