Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 297969 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums Balance and Ideas Thread
« Reply #660 on: April 17, 2014, 07:13:34 pm »

"relying on magic"

Because having 'only' an A-rank in swords and resistance to magic means you have to use it. >.>

I'm voting no, because I think it's silly to have a promoted class have such wildly different skills just based on what it promotes from.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 17, 2014, 07:33:57 pm »

I just think it's somewhat unfair to make it so Fencers get a third promo and everyone else doesn't just for the sake of 'WE HATES DA MAGICKS'. >.>
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 17, 2014, 07:37:38 pm »

Just because one gets magic, doesn't mean they have to use it. I imagine most would pick one more for their skills and abilities against mages than anything.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 17, 2014, 07:52:27 pm »

Sounds good to me. Trying to figure three for everyone sounds like too much hassle for what gain?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 17, 2014, 07:54:39 pm »

Hell, I'd be willing to try to figure out three on my own and present it to you guys every once in a while, see how you thought real quick.

I feel like maybe doing that sort of thing, where instead of everyone having to weigh in on everything all the time, we could put some people in charge of projects, they'd get back to the group, see what people thought, go back and make changes.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 17, 2014, 08:14:02 pm »

That would be a good idea if we were like, a game design company working on an original IP. But as we are, a loose conglomerate of gamers working on a system based on an established IP... Probably not the greatest plan in the world. There'd probably be people fighting over popular sections, while no one chooses to pick up others.

Sounds good to me. Trying to figure three for everyone sounds like too much hassle for what gain?

Yeah, I got caught up in balance after adding things that I forgot the KISS standard.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 17, 2014, 09:29:05 pm »

Change is addictive, trust me I know.

This quote is quite relevant there.

I'm of the opinion that if things aren't broke, why bother fixing them? No armored for knights was broke, call magic is broke, etc. Terrain dependent skills aren't broke, sure they aren't always useful but such is how it goes.

Anyway, I'll throw an idea out that I was planning on doing: in terrain and supports, all instances of bonus to DEF also applies to RES. Because magic is powerful enough, and its rather small.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:32:03 pm by Xanmyral »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 17, 2014, 10:12:27 pm »

Anyway, I'll throw an idea out that I was planning on doing: in terrain and supports, all instances of bonus to DEF also applies to RES. Because magic is powerful enough, and its rather small.

I thought that was implied. Why would supports and terrain reduce physical damage but not magical after all? It's worth stating it though in the new book.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 17, 2014, 10:42:25 pm »

I still don't think every first class needs to have three promotions available, especially if it means we need to come up with new classes to fit that. Let's look at the Fighter tree promotions as an example.

Berserker: I AM DOOD WITH AXE!!!
Warrior: I am dood with axe AND A BOW!
Forest Knight: I am dood with axe IN THE WOODS!
Swashbuckler: I am dood with axe ON THE OCEAN!
Mountain Fighter: I am dood with axe IN THE HILLS!

Making fighters able to promote into Heroes as well would add some versatility to the DOOD WITH AXE tree, but Pirates and Bandits are already similar enough that giving them an extra promotion option each would feel like trying too hard. Meanwhile, Fencers and their promotions exist for the sole purpose of giving the swordsman tree (i.e. the DOOD WITH SWORD tree) more promotions (likewise Spy for the thief tree).

"MOAR CLASSES :V :V :V" is not what we need; what we need is for the existing classes to have well-defined roles.

Hence the current discussion on Merc / Fighter / Hero / Warrior.

On that note: Fencers promote into Crusaders and Shadow Swords, both of which are "Magic Swordsman" classes. Should we give Fencers a different skill to reflect this? It seems odd (IMO) for the "I sneak around and stand on pillars" swordsmen to promote into "I have swords and magic" people.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 17, 2014, 11:08:19 pm »

I thought that was implied. Why would supports and terrain reduce physical damage but not magical after all? It's worth stating it though in the new book.

It wasn't, considering it was all quite specifically stated as DEF. We've been going by that for all the games we're in, as far as I remember.

@Shoruke: I think fencers are fine as is, both of their classes have skills that augment the pillar sneaking in useful ways.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:09:54 pm by Xanmyral »

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 18, 2014, 03:25:50 am »

Why are people sayig that every class has to get three promotions? It was only meant for a few ones...

Anyways if people don't want third promotions for anybody, we can do this:
Fighter can't promote to Hero
Warrior gets Rough and Tumble
Sages lose staves and get S/B rank anima
Fencers can't promote to Swashbucklers

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 18, 2014, 07:15:49 am »

Anyways if people don't want third promotions for anybody, we can do this:
Fighter can't promote to Hero
Warrior gets Rough and Tumble
Sages lose staves and get S/B rank anima
Fencers can't promote to Swashbucklers

Pretty much whats going on, it looks like.

Still don't like the fencer special though. If we extend it to forests as well, I'd like it better.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 18, 2014, 08:39:54 am »

I like this as it makes sense. Trees and pillars are pretty similar. :P Give Forest Knight the same thing to make it useful indoors as well and I'd consider both classes pretty well fixed.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 300