Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 298071 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums Balance and Ideas Thread. Current topic: Fighters!
« Reply #795 on: April 25, 2014, 06:39:31 pm »

Because the game falls under the assumption that once proficiencies are set, you can't change them. Thus you choose them at creation.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 25, 2014, 06:40:14 pm »

Bask in my generosity of auto-upping them, then! V:

* Haspen throws confetti.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 25, 2014, 06:41:44 pm »

What Xan said, exactly. Every mounted ability revolves around being mounted; without it, you might as well just be a high-stat Soldier Trainee.

@DP: If you want to gimp yourself, no concern of mine. :P

@Hasp: I agree with that assessment. Seems kind of stupid to be like 'I'm decent with swords, including thrusting swords' instead of 'I'm decent with swords, but I'm good with thrusting swords' kind of thing. :|
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 25, 2014, 06:45:32 pm »

I did mention it's up to GM opinion, pretty much this whole thread is to be honest. I'll probably be doing the 'proficiencies are set' path except for certain circumstances, because I understand people being unaware of what they were actually wanting to go for due to inexperience and poor/odd level up rolls.

@SC: The stats for the classes actually fell under a point system if I recall, so the high-stat depends on what you're comparing things to.

As for the way its set up, the only way it makes sense (and with the wording in the prestige classes of 'your selected weapon') is if proficiencies were to be set. It was done to balance people having two weapon trees and others having one weapon tree.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 25, 2014, 06:49:11 pm »

If you're a total level 45 Wyvern Hunter and you dismount... as far as abilities are concerned, then you're just a Soldier Trainee with high stats. :P See what I mean, Xan?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 25, 2014, 06:55:44 pm »

I agree. I fear there was some misunderstanding here, my first statement was aimed at Haspen, I forgot to add a directional marker. Apologies.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 25, 2014, 06:56:42 pm »

No, I wasn't addressing anything except this:

@SC: The stats for the classes actually fell under a point system if I recall, so the high-stat depends on what you're comparing things to.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 25, 2014, 07:08:08 pm »

Ah, then I had the misunderstanding. I figured it was an allusion to mounted units having higher stats than a soldier, I didn't catch the trainee part.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 25, 2014, 07:13:52 pm »

No worries but let's go ahead and end this minor derail before it gets out of hand, eh? :P

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 25, 2014, 09:04:35 pm »

Mounted Class Skills that don't explicitly state they don't function when dismounted, nor are rendered non-functional by not being mounted:

Cloud Walking
Reliable Attack
Dragon Scales
Momentum
Charge
Medicine Man
Plains Walk
Triangle Attack(!)
Scatter

So there's actually about three mounted class skills that are invalidated by dismounting: Nullify (since dismounting removes horseback, which is the only Effective damage Paladins can receive), Hit and Run (since foot units can't move after attacking), and Strong Vs. Airborne, which specifically states that it doesn't work while on foot.

I've bolded the skills in the list that I think should be specified as working only while mounted, but Scatter isn't one because that shit needs replacement. It's the single most broken skill in the game, surpassing even Call Magic in ability to give the GM the finger.

That said, I have some ideas for new skills for both Wyvern Promotions, but that discussion is for another time.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 25, 2014, 09:45:40 pm »

Back up.

Cloud Walking is usable when on foot?  ???
Yeah, agreed that those bolded skills should be mounted-only.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 25, 2014, 10:08:10 pm »

It doesn't say it doesn't work when the character is Dismounted. So yeah, pegasus riders always tell weather to piss off, apparently.

Also, real quick, I have a proposal for changing Charge, since the subject is up anyhow.

Quote from: V. 1.20 Charge
Charge
Activated Effect
After a full exchange of blows, the character with this skill has a (Speed)% Chance of making the
battle go for another full exchange of blows. For example, if the character scored two hits on their
opponent to the enemy's one, and if this skill activates, the character goes for another two attacks, while
the enemy is allowed their one attack in between. This skill does not activate if the character has less
Health than their opponent.

This skill is unreliable, and its activation is capable of putting the user in further danger, and the HP restriction is tough for Valkyries, since pegs and troubs tend toward lower HP on average.

Quote from: Proposed Replacement Charge
Charge
Activated Effect
Once per turn, a Character with this skill can activate this effect at the beginning of a battle they initiate. Once a full exchange of blows has taken place, another full exchange of blows takes place. For example, if the character is allowed two hits on their opponent to the enemy's one, the character goes for another two attacks, while the enemy is allowed their one attack in between.

It allows the Falco-Knight to commit to a second attack against an enemy, increasing their potential damage. It's somewhat less powerful potentially than the old Charge, but it more than makes up for it in reliability, and further balanced by the Falco-Knight having to make the decision to make the second attack blind. And the HP restriction is gone.

Just some food for thought, we obviously shouldn't vote on it one way or the other right now.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 25, 2014, 10:31:06 pm »

I'm sorry, but how is an assured ability to enter two events of combat every turn weaker than the random chance of the prior? I see no draw back, no restrictions, nor limited uses. It's just the old ability, except you can arbitrate when you use it and there's no restrictions in place.

I'm mostly just thinking that its a step too far, really. It needs to be reeled back a bit.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:36:21 pm by Xanmyral »

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 25, 2014, 11:00:35 pm »

1. Old Charge can theoretically activate continuously so long as both participants are alive and the Falcoknight has more HP. New Charge can only go once per turn.

2. New Charge requires the Falcoknight to commit before the attack is made, so if they get wrecked by the first counter, they may get killed on the second.

Also, the objective wasn't necessarily to make Charge weaker, but more attractive to more players. And GMs, since this doesn't mean the GM has to make an extra roll to see if charge activates all the time.

Further, a fair majority of class skills that effect battle boost the character's capabilities in battle somehow, be it increased crit, damage, def, what have you. This does not do so directly, just lets them fight more. And the enemy gets to make their attack also, so it's not as if it's a free attack.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 25, 2014, 11:15:41 pm »

I'm just (and always) leery of stuff that messes with the action economy, and this is a pretty big messing with. I cannot stress how much of a boon being able to commit two combat phases is.

The second point would only really come up on a possible crit, which can happen, but by and far people are going to know how much damage they'll most likely take during a fight. If you get fortune, then you just have to make sure you can survive two hits, which is easy.

While it isn't directly free attacks, it could easily be turned into free attacks with minimal planning. A javelin would do the trick, really, which is something they have easy access to. As a rule of thumb, a weak but manual skill is always more useful than a strong but random skill, I've always seen this validated in practice. You can plan around a manual skill, bring it out to its full strength, maybe beyond.

I do agree that the skill has excessive rolling, I think this is simply too strong. If it was limited to, say, once per enemy, then it wouldn't be as crazy powerful as it is now, but really that's still pretty dang strong.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:19:53 pm by Xanmyral »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 300