Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 298041 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums Balance and Ideas Thread. Current topic: Fighters!
« Reply #765 on: April 23, 2014, 08:32:11 pm »

-KUNG FU CUTMAN-
Yeah, archers need something to make them more useful. I liked someone's previous suggestion of letting them attack someone if they approached their attack range during the enemy turn.

Agreed.

I suggest the following be added to the Archer's Class Skills.

Called Shot: Activated Effect. The Archer can use their action to declare they are holding their fire. If an enemy unit enters a square within the archer's attack range, the Archer automatically attacks them. Only one attack can be initiated by Called Shot per phase.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 23, 2014, 10:41:29 pm »

How about this one:

Reaction shot (Activated skill): Use your action to activate this skill for this round. Anytime an enemy enters your attack range, make an attack against them immediately. You may not counterattack while this skill is in use, nor may you attack a given enemy more than once per round with this skill.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 23, 2014, 10:53:08 pm »

I don't care for it. Called Shot provides one attack in exchange for one attack. Reaction Shot costs an attack to make a pre-emptive strike against anything that enters your range for the entire enemy phase. Doesn't seem like an even trade-off to me.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 24, 2014, 12:13:39 am »

I don't care for it. Called Shot provides one attack in exchange for one attack. Reaction Shot costs an attack to make a pre-emptive strike against anything that enters your range for the entire enemy phase. Doesn't seem like an even trade-off to me.
Well, for a start, the entire purpose of giving archers another skill is to give them some advantage, any advantage, that they can lord over the Nomads. Attacking once in exchange for their ability to attack once does not provide that.

Reaction shot gives them something that they can use to change the flow of battle; a Fighter has a chance against a Knight in one-on-one combat, but he might think twice about walking nose-first into an arrow as well. It also makes archers the answer to pegasus- and wyvern-mounted rush tactics, because they'd have to take super-effective damage before they can attack. OTOH, it also has its weaknesses; while it's in use, archers aren't able to use their (presumably) high speed to double-attack, and anyone who can tank their Vantage'd shot (or was inside their attack range at the start of the enemy phase) gets to walk all over them as usual.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 24, 2014, 01:23:21 am »

It will allow for corridors of doom against the players, as a way to look at it. Granted, I may be one of the few (or only) ones to allow enemies (all of them) to retain class skills. I still have to figure out the realism vs game balance I want to go with, but you'd probably only see that in castles.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:27:01 am by Xanmyral »

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 24, 2014, 08:17:38 am »

Myah, I'll move on the poll cause unanimity. Next class is archers I presume?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 24, 2014, 08:27:44 am »

Seems that way Solymr.

@Shoruke: Called Shot will allow the archer to initiate an attack against an opponent during the enemy phase, which will be unique amongst all classes, and would allow the archer to receive an enemy charge without idling their turn away, unlike most classes. Plus, unlike Reaction Shot, it wouldn't mess with the flow of the game too much, since the attack would be made just like normal, wouldn't be made whenever an enemy entered range, and wouldn't deny the Archer any counters he would normally get.

It will allow for corridors of doom against the players, as a way to look at it. Granted, I may be one of the few (or only) ones to allow enemies (all of them) to retain class skills. I still have to figure out the realism vs game balance I want to go with, but you'd probably only see that in castles.

Not sure I'd suggest that. It's a lot more to keep track of, and it tilts the balance of power even further into enemy hands.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 24, 2014, 10:38:17 am »

I like Called Shot better. Even if I wanted it to be called Overwatch :P
I'm assuming the attack wouldn't get countered?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 24, 2014, 10:41:05 am »

I like Called Shot better. Even if I wanted it to be called Overwatch :P
I'm assuming the attack wouldn't get countered?

If the enemy has a weapon with the appropriate range, yes they would.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 24, 2014, 10:44:05 am »

And would that waste the enemy's attack or they just get 2 attacks in a row?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 24, 2014, 10:46:48 am »

And would that waste the enemy's attack or they just get 2 attacks in a row?

No, the enemy would be able to make their attack at the end of their move as normal. If they survive, of course.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 24, 2014, 10:49:34 am »

Welp I guess that's the archer's choice to activate it or not.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 24, 2014, 10:50:37 am »

Better than not getting a shot because the bad guys are too far away, I'd think.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 24, 2014, 10:51:16 am »

Better than not getting a shot because the bad guys are too far away, I'd think.
Defintelly better than not attacking at all.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 24, 2014, 11:33:42 am »

Not sure I'd suggest that. It's a lot more to keep track of, and it tilts the balance of power even further into enemy hands.

Some of the plans I have require it, and its not that hard to keep track of to keep track of really. Just a few piddly conditionals for the most of them.

As for your other statement, I prefer a more realistic bent on things. Enemies will carry different weapons, medicine, they'll know the weapon triangle, etc. They still won't have personal or character skills.

As for the archer skills, I prefer BMM's interpretation. I'd rather suggest one doesn't break the action economy, outside of very rare instances. I've never seen anyone manage it properly without a lot of thought into it and heavy restrictions or draw backs.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:36:05 am by Xanmyral »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 300