Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 299177 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub!
« Reply #2430 on: March 25, 2015, 07:46:20 am »

I feel that arbitrary blocking performances like that doesn't address the real problem. Namely that refreshing other players is really powerful, whereas the instruments/dances are kinda wimpy and not worth spending a turn on. Buffing them and somehow lowering the power of performances would be a better idea, but I have absolutely no idea how to implement that in a fair/fun way.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: March 25, 2015, 07:53:19 am »

Healers don't give people extra turns. And I think reducing performance power still won't mean that the only thing performers are gonna do is perform.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: March 25, 2015, 08:04:04 am »

That's ignoring my point, Soly. Supposedly, the reason you gave for nerfing performances is to make performers use 'weapon's (that they rarely ever get because, let's face it, they're universally worthless) more often. Staff users generally ignore buff and ailment staffs because, while worth more than instruments/dances/lyrics, they're still not as immediately useful as a heal staff is. Making them unable to use one every turn so they have to fall back on less-useful staffs is an arbitrary restriction - and so is the same thing being suggested for performers.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: March 25, 2015, 08:19:06 am »

Haspen and I had this same conversation on IRC and it's why he decided to simply nerf performance amounts. Yes, limiting dancers to 1 performed person per turn may make them less popular. But all they'd be doing is choosing between taking action themselves and giving their action to someone else. This seems reasonable, especially late-game where performers get cool powers.

It's definitely a better solution than arbitrarily keeping them from performing every other turn.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: March 25, 2015, 08:33:20 am »

And what about bards? 2 actions is still better than 1.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: March 25, 2015, 08:41:54 am »

2 actions is better than 1 in specific situations, especially since they have to be right next to the bard. I would say 4 adjacent actions is better than 1 in literally every situation.

I proposed a bunch of bard nerfs a while back during FEF2XP's development but they were all knocked down in favor of limiting the number of performances. So good luck trying to come up with a worthwhile nerf that isn't an arbitrary restriction like the sort you were proposing.

It may end up that dancers become a mix of offense/defense and performances while bards become pure performers.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:52:44 am by freeformschooler »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: March 25, 2015, 09:19:56 am »

Can I add that to my draft?
I somewhat edited it so archers would have Sidearms (literally) instead of the tiny-bows, and that bards/support classes have minor weapons instead (ie Performers = The 'Archer' Sidearms [as in any weapon like a minor aspect of a troubadour's weapon ability]).

Haspen and I had this same conversation on IRC and it's why he decided to simply nerf performance amounts. Yes, limiting dancers to 1 performed person per turn may make them less popular. But all they'd be doing is choosing between taking action themselves and giving their action to someone else. This seems reasonable, especially late-game where performers get cool powers.

It's definitely a better solution than arbitrarily keeping them from performing every other turn.
Yes to this.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: March 25, 2015, 09:20:57 am »

Maybe the problem is that some weapons are only used in specific situation and others are more for general use but performances are only for specific situations because the general use skill is free.

So my idea is: instead of performing being a free skill, revamp the whole performance items so that the cheapest ones give the refresh effect and higher level ones improve on the range or number of persons affected or giving an additional buff... I think it would give more freedom to performers to do different things other than perform all the time and we can fine tune its power better than just cutting their power in half.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: March 25, 2015, 09:30:13 am »

Tiruin suggested giving dancers canto, since they've moving with their dances and all. I think it's a good idea, so does Haspen.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: March 25, 2015, 09:31:23 am »

I'd prefer to give them sidearms at E, but I suppose Dance Canto isn't too bad.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: March 25, 2015, 09:31:45 am »

-snip-

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: March 25, 2015, 09:41:24 am »

Dance Canto is a good idea.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: March 25, 2015, 11:19:14 am »

Mook Maker v.02 is here. All it does it generate the stats for a mook at the moment. Poke around with it if you want. Just unpack and run the .exe.
I'm going to work a bit on the PC leveller, which will have a little different structure for the sheets. So the next version of Mook Maker might be a little different.

To add:
Time consuming:
Weapons and generating the stats the enemies have with them
The non-rng enemy progression
Trivial:
Saving generated enemies
Loading user made text files

Disclaimer
I'm not responsible if it kills your computer, though how it could is beyond me.
It contained no malware at the moment of upload and shouldn't get any from the hosting site, so if you AV flags it it's a false alarm.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

abyssgullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Pretender Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: March 27, 2015, 08:19:39 pm »

Hi everyone! I've decided to finally stop lurking. I'd love to play FEF, but no games are in signups. I'll watch the thread anyway just in case owo
Not who you think.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: April 01, 2015, 11:26:56 pm »

Okay so I had an idea related to an idea I had previously.

Before, I had the idea of two different Blossom Variants that are a bit more suited to the game than rerolling whenever a stat is missed at level up and less cumbersome than leveling up slower in exchange.

Variant 1 (or Aptitude): Free: After stat allocation is completed normally, 5% is added to the progression rate of all stats. A stat may exceed the normal progression limit in this manner.

Variant 2 ('True' Blossom): Free: The character with this skill has 3 preferred stats, instead of one. When leveling up, the character gains from preferred stats if they roll under 3 stats gained, rather than 2.

And this got me thinking- Well, does the player select a third preferred stat? Seems like it could wind up rather arbitrary, and, even if we want that, kind of a hassle.

So the following idea: Give each class three preferred stats, rather than just two. At character creation/class up, characters would select two to be their preferred stats, and would go as normal, but characters with 'True' Blossom would get all three. As for how selection would go otherwise, I had two major ideas.

1: Pick em all. Characters pick any two preferred stats from the selection.

2. Pick One. The first listed Preferred Stat would always be selected. This makes the preferred stat of a given class a little more concrete, and gives the player a little less to agonize over while still giving them some freedom with the preferred stat system.

Thoughts?
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 300