Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 299040 times)

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub!
« Reply #2235 on: December 06, 2014, 02:34:56 pm »

I'm aware you do, but I'm going by what the rule book says and also why I'm asking everyone else, including Cecil since I'd like to know his thoughts on it. Also I feel like giving mixed characters more growth when they have access to said mixed weapon type would be nice because it's a fairly balanced way of making up for that "need" to split growths.

(yes I'm aware you don't need to but it helps if you want to be split and also useful)

CecilHoshino

• Bay Watcher
  • Guidebook Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: December 08, 2014, 05:44:45 pm »

Like I said, option 3 was the nuke, the drastic "if nothing else works" measure.

On the idea of the Mixed Character growth support, just throwing the idea out there, how about treating it like a Cost Skill? Start with 300 instead of 330 Growth Points to start with 20% in Strength and Magic. With a Cost Skill as well, that makes it a 270 start, but, since you'd want at least, like, 40-45 in both STR and MAG, that works out to a +10 bonus.

Having said that, you get into murky territory about what constitutes a "mixed class." Some are obvious: Scavenger, Troubadour. And some face a promotion prospect where they're going mixed either way, so it definitely wouldn't hurt: Fencer -> Crusader/Shadow Sword. But some are rather grey area. Archer can promote to Battle Mage, so they'd really like that mixed class bonus, but they could also promote to Sniper, which is all Bows. This also goes for Mercenary -> Commander, Pegasus Knight -> Valkyrie, Nomad -> Nomad Healer, and Thief -> Bounty Hunter.

I think it could still work, though, provided the player commits to their path, going from (Trainee to) First Class to that specific Promotion. And it sounds like it balances out to when you consider other classes (like, say, Brigand or Hero) can focus entirely on Strength, anyway, if they so choose. And if they want to make use of Magic Weapons and skills like Imbue, they can tool their kit specifically to that.

So, when it comes to the Supply Line, right now it's at 4 spaces out. I'm hearing that it's generally as effective at 3, although in some cases that 4-5 was a godsend? :P

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: December 08, 2014, 05:55:05 pm »

Well ok, you missed one of my things:

Being able to put 0% in STR or MAG, how is that handled? Can, say, an archer put 0% in mag and str if they only plan on using crossbows?

Second, that's... no offense, kinda an icky way of handling it. You really only get 10% more growth which isn't a ton when you think about it. My thought was maybe at the time that you promote into something that has a rank in both magic and physical items, give them a bonus 20 or 30% It's not a ton, but it might help to make up for the discrepancy that comes from being mixed. It also allows the person to not say "Oh, my archer could promote into Battle Mage, I should get the extra growth" and then instead promote into Sniper

CecilHoshino

• Bay Watcher
  • Guidebook Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: December 08, 2014, 07:13:57 pm »

Right, sorry about what I missed.

The 0% thing. You also missed the other rule: Every other stat HAS to have 10% in it, at least; you're only allowed to put 0% in your off-stat of Magic or Strength. So, in the case of the Archer with the Crossbow exclusivity, no, they can't just put 0% in STR, they have to have 10% at least. But they can leave it at 10% to go up to 70% in several other stats if they so choose, since 70% is the maximum growth rate for all stats at the start (except for HP, that can go to 100%). Given the mixed classes later, I suppose I could designate which classes need at least 10% STR and which need 10% MAG (and, in the case of Scavenger and Troubadour, 10% in both), but it should be fairly straight forward.

Again, it was just throwing it out there, first thing that popped into my head. What does everyone else think about the bonus growth on promotion to a mixed class?

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: December 08, 2014, 07:22:01 pm »

Ok, that's what I thought it was, just checking. What about someone like a priest trainee that goes into troub? Cause they could have 0% in STR even though they'll eventually get a physical weapon.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: December 08, 2014, 07:28:27 pm »

I'm not sure about giving extra progression to mixed classes. In my mind, the main draw of such classes is the greater flexibility in tactical options at the expense of not being quite as powerful as someone dedicated to either physical or magical weapons. We already see this with weapon ranks, so why not stats as well?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: December 08, 2014, 08:13:36 pm »

Because you could say similar things about people who get multiple physical or magical weapon ranks. They still have that disadvantage of not being able to use higher ranked weapons, but don't have the disadvantage of losing stats essentially. Like... I get what you're saying, yeah, but it still seems unfair that either you basically sack a stat, or you're almost guaranteed to not be as powerful when the advantage you gain is... eh.

CecilHoshino

• Bay Watcher
  • Guidebook Amateur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: December 08, 2014, 08:40:41 pm »

It's the classic Red Mage/Jack problem. While you can say having a 5 in one stat and 5 in another can give you a claim to versatility, when standing next to someone who has a 10/0 and another who has a 0/10, you definitely feel underpowered standing next to them, even if, technically, you're about as strong as them on average, or have more "options" in the fight. A Hero with 25 STR and a Silver Sword is going to be more attractive and much stronger than a Commander with 10 MAG, even if they had Arcfire. So the ideal is to bump up those Jacks to a 7/7 instead of a 5/5, to give them more of an identity and impact next to their 10/0 and 0/10 counterparts.

The issue with giving them that 20-30% boost on promotion, though, is that, if the stat's been neglected for the entire Trainee and First Class, that MAG stat is still going to look fairly sad without some investment from the start. Which, true, is the tradeoff those who want to make the class work take, but the promotion boost...I'm not sure it's as effective as to address it. Plus, it feeds into the "Free Stats" problem, doesn't it?

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: December 09, 2014, 10:24:57 am »

I'm posting what mastah said in the test thread cause that's dead and this is good grounds for discussion.

Well, I'm suprised nobody's talked about it here.
So Haspen made a custom alchemist class for FEF, and Xanmy was talking about making one for something, so I'm posting my lame ideas for classes here, since it seems like the most fitting place.

Mastahcheese's lame class ideas

First Classes:
Spoiler: Sorcerer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skald (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dervish (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notes on First Classes (click to show/hide)

Promoted Classes:
Spoiler: Snake Charmer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Oracle (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Huntsman (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harper (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dragon Dancer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harlequin (click to show/hide)

Note that I don't have access to the books, so exact stats (and everything else, probably) still need to be figured out, but they're rough concepts.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: December 09, 2014, 11:18:17 am »

Oh, I figured it was better over there, but if that's dead, then thanks, Soly.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: December 12, 2014, 01:52:27 am »

So, if anyone wants them, I have a copy each of Nuclear Dawn and Star Ruler off the latest Weekly Bundle. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: December 12, 2014, 10:57:10 am »

I'd take either, but I guess Nuclear Dawn sounds more like my kind of thing.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: December 12, 2014, 11:28:59 am »

Ah, that reminds me.  During the Fall sale, I picked up a copy of The Witcher 2 and The Gamers from GOG, and I've mostly just been sitting on them.  If anyone missed that giveaway, I can send redemption codes for either or both.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: December 12, 2014, 11:34:19 am »

Cecil, I dunno if anyone else has pointed this out, but wyvern knights are vulnerable to about a third of all available weapons last time I did a count. This leads to every person who plays a wyvern class taking Nullify as a matter of necessity.

I think what might be a good idea is to remove their vulnerability to wind, and keep the vulnerability to thunder, based on the justification that wyverns have metallic and highly conductive scales, but are heavy enough that winds don't buffet them around as easily as they would a pegasus.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: December 12, 2014, 02:05:51 pm »

I think what might be a good idea is to remove their vulnerability to wind, and keep the vulnerability to thunder, based on the justification that wyverns have metallic and highly conductive scales, but are heavy enough that winds don't buffet them around as easily as they would a pegasus.

* Haspen gives the seal of catproval.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 300