Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Crawl 0.14 Tournament - Finished  (Read 20860 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.14 Tournament - It has begun (still welcoming players!)
« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2014, 10:58:36 pm »

I'll be giving it a try, although I never played a roguelike through ssh, I'm sure a bit of googling will help me get the game running online.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2014, 11:12:17 pm »

I'll be giving it a try, although I never played a roguelike through ssh, I'm sure a bit of googling will help me get the game running online.

If you're lazy and don't want to bother figuring ssh out, there's also the webtiles version:
http://crawl.akrasiac.org:8080/#lobby
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2014, 11:15:16 pm »

Well I managed to set up ssh for it, it asks me for a username, i enter 'joshua' and then it asks me for a password, but typing stops working at this point o.O

Using putty for SSH at the moment, or at least trying to.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:18:18 pm by Ygdrad »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2014, 11:18:51 pm »

Have you still tried typing the password and press enter? I seem to recall that it worked liked that (haven't ssh'd for this tourney).

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2014, 11:21:39 pm »

Have you still tried typing the password and press enter? I seem to recall that it worked liked that (haven't ssh'd for this tourney).
Yeah seems to work. I've added '# TEAMCAPTAIN Xgamer4' as the very first line in the option file too. My username is Ygdrad

Important question though, will my bumbling around learning the game hurt the team? Can I drag the team down/make it lose points or can I only have a positive effect(albeit small)?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:30:03 pm by Ygdrad »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2014, 12:08:06 am »

Yeah seems to work. I've added '# TEAMCAPTAIN Xgamer4' as the very first line in the option file too. My username is Ygdrad

Important question though, will my bumbling around learning the game hurt the team? Can I drag the team down/make it lose points or can I only have a positive effect(albeit small)?

You can't actually make the team worse, no; the things you do to increase your score (killing uniques, entering branches of the dungeon, snagging runes, etc) also increase the clan's score. Incidentally, one of the neat things about playing in the tournament is that there are things called banners you can try to grab, which are basically just neat little goals to give you a sense of achievement even if you don't win. They aren't worth points, but they're fun. I'm hoping to get the first Gelatinous Body again (well, that and a win would be nice :P)

Speaking of, managed to murder that promising DEFE. Took an emergency stair up (because it seemed like a good idea at the time?) and it dumped me in the tiny vault entrance to Slime Pits with two Azure Jellies who promptly murdered my shit. YASD

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2014, 12:18:22 am »

I've updated my file, so you should appear in the clan next update. And you can only have a positive effect, so don't worry about that. Just have fun.

For Delta's record, I swapped Imofexius with Ygdrad.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.14 Tournament - It has begun
« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2014, 03:15:21 am »

Congratulations, Dr Feelgood! Must be feeling good  :D Oh man, the humour, I'm so good at it even I can't believe it.

Still a pretty great run, I am yet to take an Axe to extended, all that cleaving has to... feel good... ok I'm stopping now.

Also Ygdrad, you may as well use the webtiles - Crawl's tiles convey a lot of information that you would need to examine a monster to see - like the weapon type they are using, is it glowing, are they buffed, are they summoned.

And the most important advise you'll get : run away, and check every single new thing in one of the following:

http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/bots
https://loom.shalott.org/learndb.html

The bots are somewhat broken, but you should still use the hell out of them.

edit : ugh. Icicle, I am disappointed. Three misses in a row. Minotaur was hitting me harder than I could quaff heal wounds. Drinked a potion of rage hoping to bring him down with my glorious slaying. No go.

I'll never find another PDA now  :(
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:48:37 am by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2014, 01:05:24 pm »

And Ygdrad made it on the clan. Welcome to the team!

Don't worry about points. Just have fun. The Champions are the serious team, not us.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2014, 03:16:33 pm »

So uh, after killing a few [tens of] characters, I get the following on my HeIE:

the +9,+9 trident "Wuevus" {elec, +Blink rF++ Str-2 Dex+2}
a scroll of acquirement

High Elves are at a -2 aptitude for Polearms, but I need only 14 skill and god damn, I've gotten through Depths on melee characters with worse weapons. Also on a caster the free rF++ is going to be awesome. Oh man.

Also not sure what to acquire. Reasonable choice would be staves or armour, but armour will probably give me stupid bullshit, and Staves will give me wizardry again. I don't really want to go Vehumet, but he just makes things so much easier... I could go Fedhas, get max piety and instantly abandon him - I have an amulet of Faith, I can do it in a few floors. What's Fedhas wrath like?

I could acquire a book. Somehow I feel I'll just get my 11th tome of Various High-level Fire Conjurations Haha Screw You Nerd, though.

edit : Dead.

Wow, I just realised I'm playing horribly what is wrong with me
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:15:01 pm by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2014, 06:36:27 am »

I ask because I have no clue what to acquire on my SpMo.
If you've not any magic skill, you can ask for a staff : you'll have 75% chances to get a rod ;)
But it drops to zero as soon as you have even 1 XP put in spellcasting or any magic school :s

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2014, 06:56:23 pm »

Acquired armour, got a shield I never used. I tend to acquire armour or weapons if I have a decent skill and haven't found anything/am not worshipping Trog/Oka. Jewellery is a nice choice the later you use it - I got the below amulet of rMut/Slaying from jewellery acquirement.

After losing a ton of random stuff, I've gotten a rune on a DrCK. I've very rarely played Draconians, and never played Xom. He does seem to have great gifting - dude gave me a Cloak of Preservation, a Shield of Reflection and nine royal jellies, but he has a nasty habit of animating my main weapon, throwing Inner Fire on enemies and taking me on tele-trains.

I've gotten pretty awesome equip - randart amulet of Slaying/rMut, Gauntlets of War. No armour since apparently Draconians can't wear anything at all now since ...wings?... and I keep having to use the Spear of Chaos since Xom gets bored. I've read up a bit on Xom, and ... not sure what to do. I generally play normally then when Xom gets bored out comes the Spear of Chaos and Wand of Random Effects and wackiness ensues. The wackiness mostly involves berserking/hasting/invisibility-ing every single thing I even glance at.

All in all, I miss my GrGl of Zin.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2014, 06:57:00 pm »

Damn, not even a rune this tournament. Maybe I should play crawl more than once a year.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2014, 06:59:54 pm »

My plan is to reach the temple this tourney. After all I must make Bay12's secondmost elite Crawl team proud :P

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2014, 09:49:00 pm »

I'm currently playing a GhWr. I'm not sure why I picked a ghoul for my streak attempt. I've never won with one before.

After losing a ton of random stuff, I've gotten a rune on a DrCK. I've very rarely played Draconians, and never played Xom. He does seem to have great gifting - dude gave me a Cloak of Preservation, a Shield of Reflection and nine royal jellies, but he has a nasty habit of animating my main weapon, throwing Inner Fire on enemies and taking me on tele-trains.

I've gotten pretty awesome equip - randart amulet of Slaying/rMut, Gauntlets of War. No armour since apparently Draconians can't wear anything at all now since ...wings?... and I keep having to use the Spear of Chaos since Xom gets bored. I've read up a bit on Xom, and ... not sure what to do. I generally play normally then when Xom gets bored out comes the Spear of Chaos and Wand of Random Effects and wackiness ensues. The wackiness mostly involves berserking/hasting/invisibility-ing every single thing I even glance at.

Being fast trivializes most of his tricks. Controlled Blink is especially nice for dealing with his nastier surprises. Once I was capable of surviving his antics I mostly ignored him.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18