Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Crawl 0.14 Tournament - Finished  (Read 20871 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.14 Tournament - Bay12 looking for players (starts April 11th)
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2014, 02:55:51 pm »

I think it would be easiest to just put thegoatgod to Xgamer4's team. I won't update the OP without his approval but that would be my plan.

Aelig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2014, 05:41:50 pm »

You may not want to play on CDO anyway if you used to play on CSZO and CDO is hosted in Germany (so is CLAN), the other US server is CAO. I personnaly played on CLAN in the last tournament and it was fine even with the largely increased number of player.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2014, 03:54:22 am »

I definitely want to play on CDO - I am a European, I live in Europe, I always play on CDO. Its my favourite server thingy ever  :-*
I just logged on to CSZO so I could join the team in advance, thus reassuring my captain and team mates of my intended participation. I seem to recall CDO was the last server to get .13 as well, just a day or so before the tourney began, presumably you know, for reasons.

I can be patient for .14 now, cos my name is up there in lights, with the rest of my Blacksmith brethen.

Code: [Select]
Clan: Bay12 Blacksmiths - deltacharlie (captain), karlito, un67, vogonpoet
Not that I will have time to kill off my current trunk character before the tourney begins, but never mind, at least it served to get me back into Crawl - I gave Dith a try out with a SpEn, and he seems like a pretty cool god - being able to ensorcelly hibernate really dangerous folks from maximum distance and then shadow step stab them is awesome. I always hate sending big melee brutes or crystal spearers to sleep, or tiptoeing towards an already sleeping Mennas, only to have them wake up just as you get near.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Aelig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2014, 04:22:56 am »

There is no unique I avoid more than Mennas, that guy is just too dangerous (well I tend to play stuff like demonspawn of Yred but still).

As the tournament is starting pretty soon and people will get absorbed by the game once it's on, I may ask : What are you guys planning to play? What are you going for?

Personally I really want to play an octopode for some reason, even though I've never played one before.
I also need to learn what to do in the endgame. In the last tournament I lost one guy during the ascension run because I simply did not know about it and was not prepared (I had a ring or regen in my stack and plenty of food, ended up almost starving and killed on D5 by a weak demon, I guess DeltaFoxtrot was watching and must have had a good laugh ^^). And a second in zot because I swapped god to try tomb and had to run for my life in the first level of crypt.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:04:40 am by Aelig »

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2014, 04:57:22 am »

Well I will definitely be trying to get some Octopods of Ash off the ground - probably ice elementalists, wizards.

In general at tourneys, I alternate playing throw-away characters for banner collection, serious dudes I have won before to actually try and win, and serious dudes I can't believe I haven't won yet.

I am not good at Crawl, so actually trying to win means playing MiGl of Okie, DEFE of Veh and SpEn of Ash/Dith/Mak.
I will be looking at my scoreboard (which is taking ages to open right now, the server must be struggling) for the third category - looking at the most shameful glaring holes in my pitiful Crawl CV: my best beserker died at level 23 with I can't remember, maybe 2 runes, I have never won an ice elementalist (I have killed one in extended though), never got a Centaur past level 10, or a DDwarf past 16 (holy crap, look at that, my best EarthE didn't get past level 18, seriously, that's awful).

So there you go, my desire to play always goes up a lot during the tourneys, and I will use that desire to attempt to bank a win for the team, to improve my pitiful DDEE record, to play lots of Octopodes of Ash (ha, I seem to have killed an L27 octopus at somepoint, yay me), and to dive random stuff to the D14 or lair, hoping for speed demon, etc.

Edit: haha, I will be doing my best to avoid extended, 3 runes only for me, I have lost the following at L27: DSFE, DSIE, HECj, OpWz. Horrible.

Edit Edit: Octopode of Ash pro tip: Wizards start off wearing a hat.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:06:21 am by vogonpoet »

Aelig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2014, 05:15:06 am »

Wizards get a hat but IE can use the transmutation/ice thingy to get tougher, plus I'm planning to go for Kiku with that guy, keeping Ash for a fighter type demonspawn (I usually go with Makhleb with those but he is kind of redundant with good ds mutations).

At some point I'll also need to learn to play stealthy types, I tried a lot of SpEn and just end up doing random things after Lair and Orc. Maybe I'll play a guy with Yred too, for some reason he's not popular but I think he's the most newbie friendly god there is and will carry you to Zot 1 in a breeze (then all your entourage will die to draconians and you might be under leveled due to your minions stealing too many kills if you are not paying attention). Beogh is in the same vein yet boring as hell.

Regarding tournament rules and bonus score from specie/background : does it matter to win the popular combo first or will your bonus be the same as those who ascended after you by the end of the tournament?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:17:03 am by Aelig »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2014, 05:31:54 am »

I definitely want to play on CDO - I am a European, I live in Europe, I always play on CDO. Its my favourite server thingy ever  :-*
CLAN is located in Falkenstein/Chemnitz, Germany, Europe.
I play on it from France, and have no lag. URL : http://crawl.lantea.net:8080/#lobby

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2014, 05:50:31 am »

As a European I've played on CLAN to GREAT SATISFACTION!

err, yeah. Clan is nice. Very little lag the last time I played (jinxed it).

edit:

I'll probably do my usual with failing at caster types (DsIE) and doing slightly better with various less than stellar melees (HOAK).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:58:50 am by Delta Foxtrot »

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2014, 06:12:03 am »

Hmm, well CLAN seems to be lagging a fair bit more than CDO right now, here in Serbia. They are in the same place though, so I don't know why... I shall continue to hope for CDO to update sooner than later.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:13:46 am by vogonpoet »

ggurman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2014, 01:26:11 pm »

I'd like to join, I'm definitely beginner

ggurman webtiles name

Am I in nobles?

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2014, 01:39:31 pm »

I would say so yes.
Buy the way, 1h20 before the tournament begins and games bagein to count :D

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2014, 01:43:35 pm »

^ Yup! Really excited, just got out for spring break so I'll have the better part of the next week. Think I'll play a Centaur ranged character first (CeHu or CeAM) to ease myself back in to the game.

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2014, 02:13:54 pm »

ggurman webtiles name

Am I in nobles?

Is everyone in teams I don't see his on the list

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2014, 02:49:14 pm »

ggurman webtiles name

Am I in nobles?

Is everyone in teams I don't see his on the list

Delta hasn't updated the lists yet. I'm going to make a team-captain-level executive decision and let ggurman take lastplaneout's spot - at least this way the team experience levels remain roughly how they should.

ggurman:
You're actually part of the Miners. Please place:
Code: [Select]
# TEAMCAPTAIN Xgamer4

in your RC File when able.

This also goes for Imofexious, gigaraptor487, and Elephant Parade. Let me know if you need any help or instructions.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2014, 02:51:44 pm »

Ah,what the hell might as well try this year too. Antur was the username but now i need to retrieve my password somehow..

Or just make new account : AnturK playing on CLAN

So what team still has open spots ? Got two wins behind my belt with easy classes but didn't nab one last year. And didn't play 0.14 yet.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:01:08 pm by Antur »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18