Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Crawl 0.14 Tournament - Finished  (Read 20846 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.14 Tournament - Bay12 looking for players (starts April 11th)
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 06:52:54 pm »

I'm pretty incompetent at Crawl (never even reached Lair). Sign me up for Beginner, please.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 07:57:16 pm »

I've been running some Felid Transmuters the last couple days, and I usually take the first Dith or Nemelex altar I find. Dith makes you better at escaping and the darkness aura is pretty nifty from the little I've used it (haven't had a cat live long enough to comment on the later abilities,) while Nemelex lets you get some mileage out of all the neat loot you can't use via sacrificing it, and the decks give you much more flexibility in dealing with threats.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 04:37:14 am »

Also, Nemelex is getting patched in 0.14, right ?
The whole thing about deck chances being fixed and not giving the player a deck of wonders as his first in it this version, I think.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 05:11:44 am »

Best of luck.
I've only won 3 times (one 3 Rune and two 15 rune) on killdudes characters (one with a twist), I've yet to get good with other classes.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 09:09:29 am »

33 wins. Playing as DrFeelgood, not Demos.

Also, Nemelex is getting patched in 0.14, right ?
The whole thing about deck chances being fixed and not giving the player a deck of wonders as his first in it this version, I think.

You have a fixed 10% chance of getting a deck of wonders now. You're more likely to get decks of destruction or summoning. They removed decks of dungeons for some reason.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 07:00:54 am »

Hey there folks... gaaa, I am not sure I technically have enough time to play Crawl right now. I have not managed a win on trunk since the Depths were added, and haven't played at all in some time, but will certainly try to send a few sad sacks to their death for the tourney.  Maybe if there was a spare space, I could be put in the advanced or intermediate teams, and hopefully I will find time to pick up a few Lair runes? Add me to any team last though, I really don't actually have time :-(
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 08:10:25 am »

Oh well, sign me up.
Apparently I'm an expert (yeah right).

I'll leave the metagaming strategies too you guys, since the scoring system is 2deep4me.
Not sure if the server we plan to play on matters, but I'll be using http://crawl.lantea.net:8080 since it's the European one and therefore the least laggy.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 03:35:54 pm »

It doesn't matter which server you play on. All's good.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 04:32:46 pm »

I think I played on Lantea, for the last tournament. Pretty good ping from Europe (or at least from France, I think it's in Germany).
And as far as meta-gaming goes, having fun may be the best way to score points that matter ? :p

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 05:53:09 pm »

I don't see "+50 points for having fun"  :P

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 06:28:32 pm »

I didn't even look at the tournament score things before it was all over last time. Didn't effect my play at all. Might give them a go this time, could be fun.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 06:35:16 pm »

Given how annoying it was scumming a Zot trap until I got banished [...]
Elven Halls hand out free banish to every visitor.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 07:28:23 pm »

Anyone have any guesses what the 'banner award' thing you get extra points for is gonna be this tournament?

To clarify; last tournament, I got an extra (25/50?) points for doing the Vow of Courage III banner award, which was getting 4 runes before moving past D:13. So, you had to get the runes from Snake/Spider, Slime, Swamp/Shoals, and the Abyss.

Given how annoying it was scumming a Zot trap until I got banished, I'm hoping that this time they pick something a little more relaxed. Say, Harvest.

Congratulations, Vow of Courage III is now six runes before the Depths! So Snake/Spider, Slime, Swamp/Shoals, the Abyss, Vaults, and... frig what other runes are even before the Vaults? Oh Tomb, that's it. But yeah the cutoff is now Depths.

There's also a new banner based around abandoning gods and surviving their wrath, so that's neat.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2014, 07:31:55 pm »

Doesn't sound too bad.
I mean a character than can handle vaults, should be able to handle Abyss:3 (that the minimum amount of depts for rune spawns, right?).
As long as you have rMut that is.

I mean I've seen people do Tomb as their 4th rune.
Absolutely insane.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 02:27:32 am »

By the way, tehre are some banners that seem fun to try and get :

- LORD OF DARKNESS III : "Win a game without having entered the Temple, the Orcish Mines, the Lair, or the Vaults (+50 tournament points)". We need 3 runes without the Lair's nor the Vault's ones. So the neded ones will come from Abyss to go in Depths, then Tomb and/or Tomb to get to 3 runes. I think an Abyssal knight may be good for this one, as he may have less difficulties in Abyss than other characters, and have both an emergency-button and an escape door when in Pan.

- HERETIC III: "Abandon nine non-good gods before reaching XL 14, and win without rejoining them (+25 tournament points)". That will be a challenge, as you'll need to abandon a first god early, as the wrath time is now indexed on XP gained, iirc. Also, keeping a "easy" god to worship (like Trog) to stay alive should be a good idea.

- SPEED DEMONS II & III: Reach the last level (or find a rune for 3) of a Lair's branch in 27 minutes. I think a stealthy character of Dith may be a good character to do this one (skipping most enemies), but that'll be a nice challenge, too :D

and yeah, Vow of courage will be harder, now :/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18