Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Crawl 0.14 Tournament - Finished  (Read 20867 times)

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.14 Tournament - It has begun (still welcoming players!)
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2014, 12:43:56 pm »

4 piles of gold, scroll of amnesia, arrows, stones, regular ring, leather armor, randart mace (have one of speed already though), boots of jumping a halb anda  book

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2014, 04:57:32 pm »

Cool win Un67! No abyssal rune despite being an AK?

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2014, 05:13:00 pm »

Eh, I already had three runes, so I decided not to stir the pot. Probably could have gotten it without any real difficulty, but by that point I just wanted to get it over with.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2014, 05:31:50 pm »

So, my DsBe has cleared the Dungeon, cleared the Lair, and cleared the Orc mines. The Lair branches are Snake and Shoals, and I'm not sure which one to tackle first. I don't think I want to go messing in the Snake Pits without rPois, but I'm wary of taking my virtually EVless axe-wielding maniac into the Shoals. He does have evocable flight which will help, but I dunno. Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe I can find a rPois leather armour forgotten up on D:7 or something...
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2014, 05:51:16 pm »

Hold on. I thought I was supposed to be a part of Bay12 Miners, but apparently it's full?

Edit: Oops, was viewing the 0.13 clanlist for some reason.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2014, 06:20:13 pm »

Hey still working to set up the Bay12 Nobles: sorry for the delay, figuring out how to manipulate and find the elusive rc_file.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 13, 2014, 06:29:27 pm »

All data gets applied to teams retroactively if necessary, so no loss.

Also sent a PM to help you out.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2014, 06:47:10 pm »

Ok edited my rc file to read as follows:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope all goes well and good luck!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Aelig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2014, 07:12:57 pm »

So, my DsBe has cleared the Dungeon, cleared the Lair, and cleared the Orc mines. The Lair branches are Snake and Shoals, and I'm not sure which one to tackle first. I don't think I want to go messing in the Snake Pits without rPois, but I'm wary of taking my virtually EVless axe-wielding maniac into the Shoals. He does have evocable flight which will help, but I dunno. Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe I can find a rPois leather armour forgotten up on D:7 or something...

You are right, don't do snake without rpois, there is just no way. But if you can get it and your ds is AC oriented it's really easy. Shoals is not as bad as one may think monster wise, and if you have fly you may be ok. Read about mesmerize from mermaid and fear uniques more than anywhere else and you should be fine. (I once ran into Mennas with a Ds or Yred right in front of shoals rune vault, but that's the worst case scenario).

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 13, 2014, 08:07:26 pm »

My XL7 OgWz just found an altar of Nemelex. I was thinking about going with Vehumet and doing a conjurer type char as an ogre. But I've never tried Nemelex and I'm wondering if I should try him out.

How well does Nemelex roll with caster types?

IMO, not super well. Don't get me wrong, he can pull his weight with the decks of defense giving you escape options and decks of summoning taking the attention off of you, but you'll probably find that the decks of destruction are pretty redundant with the conjurations you already have, and in my experience caster types have enough experience sinkholes to fill without adding Evocations on top of it.

That said, I'm hardly an expert, and I've never played an Ogre Wizard (well, never played one long enough to reach Temple, anyway.) I also haven't played with him now that he works a little differently in regards to what he gifts you (it used to be I would get loaded with Destruction and Summoning decks since corpses and weapons are by far the most prevalent item in the dungeon, but now I think it's just random so you should get more variety.) He's certainly a fun god, and if the flexibility sounds good then go for it.

N.B I would have posted this last night, but the forum derped on me- fortunately I have Lazarus, assuming the advice is even relevant anymore :P

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 13, 2014, 08:15:58 pm »

Advice is always relevant. Though our poor intrepid OgWz got slinged to death by a conveniently poison resistant Joseph.

Right now I have a TeCj on the firing line but he's only reached D3. We'll see what wild manner of beast slays him come tomorrow.

Aelig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2014, 03:19:43 am »

I'm not sure snake was made harder, they did remove Lamia who was the main reason snake was scarry, also poison seems nerfed when you have rpois. But Nagas are so hard to play and they sure did make the game harder as a whole.

EDIT : I checked my morgue file to see if I was exagerating before when talking about a hard Lair and Swamp on my last succesfull char, and it appears I killed 27 hydras in that game, and they were some more in Swamp 5 when I left. I find this a bit extreme.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:32:34 am by Aelig »

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2014, 09:03:29 am »

I just finished the vaults. Shattered the welcoming party in Vault:8, while Servitor 1-shot everything else.

My XL7 OgWz just found an altar of Nemelex. I was thinking about going with Vehumet and doing a conjurer type char as an ogre. But I've never tried Nemelex and I'm wondering if I should try him out.

How well does Nemelex roll with caster types?

IMO, not super well. Don't get me wrong, he can pull his weight with the decks of defense giving you escape options and decks of summoning taking the attention off of you, but you'll probably find that the decks of destruction are pretty redundant with the conjurations you already have, and in my experience caster types have enough experience sinkholes to fill without adding Evocations on top of it.

That said, I'm hardly an expert, and I've never played an Ogre Wizard (well, never played one long enough to reach Temple, anyway.) I also haven't played with him now that he works a little differently in regards to what he gifts you (it used to be I would get loaded with Destruction and Summoning decks since corpses and weapons are by far the most prevalent item in the dungeon, but now I think it's just random so you should get more variety.) He's certainly a fun god, and if the flexibility sounds good then go for it.

N.B I would have posted this last night, but the forum derped on me- fortunately I have Lazarus, assuming the advice is even relevant anymore :P

Nemelex is a bit redundant for casters. He's still okay, because you don't have to spend mana to use decks. And high-powered card effects are better than spells. He got nerfed recently. Deck gifts are fixed now: destruction (40%), wonders (10%), etc. Dungeons got removed.

Edit: I'd choose Sif for a summoner and Vehumet for a conjurer. I'd pick Nemelex for fighters, hybrids and stabbers. I did an OgWz run a long time ago, but it was practically a summoner.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:24:21 am by Dr Feelgood »

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2014, 02:18:15 pm »

What do you guys do when the game steadfastly refuses to drop decent equipment? I've cleared through floor 14 of the Dungeon (and dipped into 15), I've cleared Orc, and I've cleared Lair. (Vine Stalker Assassin)

So far, the only equipment even vaguely worth note is a +5/+4 Dagger of Venom, and a +6/+5 Cutlass of Protection (equipt). As-is, I had to purchase and enchant Swamp Dragon Armor for my Poison Res before tackling the Spiders Nest, and everything else bog-standard might-as-well-have-found-it-on-D1 equipment...

I'm generally able to handle most things, but that's largely because, between my natural regen, stabbing, and Dith's aura, stuff doesn't really hit me.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Aelig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2014, 02:59:55 pm »

What do you guys do when the game steadfastly refuses to drop decent equipment? I've cleared through floor 14 of the Dungeon (and dipped into 15), I've cleared Orc, and I've cleared Lair. (Vine Stalker Assassin)

So far, the only equipment even vaguely worth note is a +5/+4 Dagger of Venom, and a +6/+5 Cutlass of Protection (equipt). As-is, I had to purchase and enchant Swamp Dragon Armor for my Poison Res before tackling the Spiders Nest, and everything else bog-standard might-as-well-have-found-it-on-D1 equipment...

I'm generally able to handle most things, but that's largely because, between my natural regen, stabbing, and Dith's aura, stuff doesn't really hit me.

You seem to be in a pretty normal situation given your advancement, nothing alarming here. Just in case, look for branded weapon (stuff like fire or elec) by ctrl+f your weapon type, same for armor. If your other Lair branch is the shoals it should be doable (maybe get flying first) and Swamp is easy if you have see invis for vapour.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 03:02:58 pm by Aelig »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18