Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Crawl 0.14 Tournament - Finished  (Read 20829 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crawl 0.14 Tournament - Finished
« on: March 28, 2014, 06:02:26 pm »

So, it's a thing again.

In case you don't know what this is about, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is having another one of it's online tournaments. The way it works is you play on one of their online servers, either solo or as a team and at the end of the tourney we get to see cool leaderboards based on how well you and us did.

Bay12 Crawl thread is here.
Official Crawl site is here.
The old 0.13 tournament thread is here.

There can only be six players in a team, so there's usually been a few Bay12 teams named in a dwarven fashion.

So if you're interested post here and tell us how experienced you are. We try to group people to roughly match their skill level, but it's not too specific. Last time we used this specific criteria:
Expert: Win or multiple runes.
Advanced: A rune or close to one.
Intermediate: Reached the Lair
Beginner: Wants to join the Tournament

Note that I haven't been playing much since the last tourney so do tell me guys if Lair is no longer the staple go-to place it once was.

Here's a guide to playing online:
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/howto
Link to the knowledgebot:
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/bots
Helpful if you want to check some new items/critters you come across

Players so far:
name/crawl name - skill level

Bay12 Champions
Dr Feelgood/DrFeelgood - expert - Team Captain
Graven/Gravenous - expert
monk12 - expert
tegga21/tegga21 - expert
Covenant - expert/advanced
Aelig - expert/advanced

Bay12 Blacksmiths
Delta Foxtrot/DeltaCharlie - advanced/intermediate - Team Captain
Jiokuy - advanced
tompliss - advanced
Un67 - advanced
Karlito - advanced/intermediate
vogonpoet - advanced/intermediate

Bay12 Miners
Xgamer4 - advanced/intermediate - Team Captain
Ygdrad - beginner
gigaraptor487 - beginner
Elephant Parade - beginner
bulborbish
ggurman - beginner

Bay12 Nobles
thegoatgodpan - expert - Team Captain
AnturK
Thornet

---

My only win is from 0.12 and I haven't played much since the 0.13 tourney, in which I may have underperformed somewhat, so I'd probably be best placed in Advanced or Intermediate tier. I can once again be a team captain.
What about teamnames? Do we go with the 0.13 ones or make up some new ones. Suggestions will be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:40:03 pm by Delta Foxtrot »

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl 0.14 Tournament - Bay12 looking for players (starts April 11th)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:18:43 pm »

I'm up for the expert team since I've won in both previous tourneys I've played in, 15-runing a Gargoyle Zinnite in the last.

About the teamnames... I don't mind either way [mostly because I am bad at names and can't make a clever and/or funny one to save my life ._.]
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:37:48 pm »

Sign me up! I did manage a win in the waning moments of the last tourney so I suppose you can put me in the Expert team, though if the DCSS wizards come out of the woodwork feel free to bump me down to Advanced since I know I'm not very good, and haven't played very much at all in the past few months.

I don't care too much about team names, the ones from last time worked fine as far as I could tell.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:43:39 pm »

Yeah yeah, sign me up. I've gotten to the realm of Zot once, so the advanced/moderate-skill team is probably best for me.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:47:25 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

lastplaneout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 10:11:58 am »

I'd also be interested in doing this again. I think that I got one rune last tournament for the Bay12 team- so intermediate might be the best place to put me.

Aelig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 11:17:19 am »

You can sign me up aswell, got a win in the last tournament but I'm not sure I'll be able to play as much this time around so expert/advanced for me, depending on how many people apply for expert.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:20:34 am by Aelig »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 12:17:46 pm »

I would like to enter too.
but I think there should be a team above the "Expert" one : I won a game or two, but only with really easy combat (Gr^TSO, DDBe), and only had the 5 easiest runes on my most successful character. So I could enter the "Expert" team, but when I see Graven or Covenant in the DCSS thread, I feel like I'm the noob :p

Aelig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 02:03:02 pm »

I agree with tompliss here, some of us might get a win, but guys like graven or covenant are going for 15 runer or multiple wins. Then again, the time you can sink in the tournament is a big factor.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 02:39:16 pm »

I don't think there's a need to fuss over it too much. If we have enough players to fill one team with 15 runers and one team with 3-5 runers, then we can all push the panic button. Before then I wouldn't fret about it.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 02:42:01 pm »

I'm up for another tourney.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 03:07:28 pm »

Would completely nub be any help at all ?

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 03:45:15 pm »

The pertinent question is : do you believe you'll have fun?

Because that's what the Crawl tourneys are about - having a ton of fun playing, sharing strategies, discussing things, hating on the RNG, getting banners and cursing every further step you take into extended.

If you're completely new, never forget - MiBe GrGl http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/bots for every single new thing you happen upon.

Also people who have not played any 0.14 version - you might want to take a trip through Trunk if you're not familiar with the new dungeon arrangement - 15 floors Dungeon, 5 floor Depths, ... not sure, since I also haven't played the latest version - tiles trunk is sort of old.

I'm wondering about the characters I should play. Do I go for a Gargoyle Gladiator first, before the game starts taking points off for them? Zin won't be a very popular god, since you have to start with him for it to count, and I'll definitely be going Zin on a Gargoyle. On the other hand Gargoyles I give 2 days at most before there are 50+ wins, so that needs to get over with soon. I want to get a Tengu Warper/Death Knight win - it's no more difficult than any other Tengu start, so I might as well go for an obscure class. HOAKs are also great... hmm. I probably won't have the most time either - I expect a bit more than last tourney since I'll play on the European server.

Oh yeah almost forgot - name's actually Gravenous on the Crawl servers.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 04:19:46 pm »

Graven nailed it. As long as you like playing Crawl you can join. This is a very relaxed non-competitive tournament overall. At least for someone of my skills (potential 3-runer, usually dying before Zot) and less.
And good point about everyone needing to post their names on the crawl servers. I guess you guy don't need to respam this thread if your forum nick and crawl nick are the same. Otherwise, let me know what your crawl nick is so I can add that into the OP.

Speaking of which I need to go and check if I still remember my nick/password on CLAN.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 04:44:23 pm »

I would have fun throwing my hat in for B12. I've won 3 15-Rune games since .13, but I'm a little bit out of practice with .14. Also I'm a bit slow for tourney. I'm ok with the wacky builds like OgWz though. Chalk me up as advanced.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 06:30:33 pm »

I am up for It, although I am a beginner.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18