Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The King's Men [Sci-Fi SG]  (Read 4514 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: The King's Men [Sci-Fi SG]
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 06:14:31 am »

It breaks down to the advantage each unit type offers. Cannons and rams offer different kinds of approaches to a siege, and since we seem to be going for cannons, we're going for a more ranged siege. Since we're using cannons, melee units seem to serve the role of protection for the cannons, while archers are there to pick off enemy infantry and archers-- 8 should do for that. So it comes down go whether we want to prioritize offensive or defensive strength with our cannon-melee ratio.
I, personally, would like to prioritize offense and go with two cannons, especially because we can devastate more with the opening barrage.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 08:08:14 am »

You gather your team around you, in your side of the pitch. The cannons are being brought in from the carrier, specially modified by an Academy Sorcerer so that its blasts teleports those hit by its blast to the K.O area. The armor has also been modified so that as long as the Master Sorcerer is nearby they will be teleported away from dangers like rubble and shrapnel. The area has also been closed off and guarded by actual King's Men.

You name Anna and Patrik as your lieutenants and assign them all to their roles. Your cannons arrive and 12 of your men are instructed on how to fire and reload them. 8 are assigned archer armor and the rest are assigned melee armor. You call for mobile palisades to be built to defend your archers, and you order for ladders and hooks to scale the wall. You share your plan with your team, and you plan to scout their defenses at first. You send a few of your men up the hill, to see if you can launch an attack from there.

They tell you that while it isn't steep it's rocky. You cannot mount a turret there. It is also hard to maneuver through all the rocks. The enemy team will probably have a few guards back there, to make sure. Other scouts from the front show that they have stationed archers along the wall, further barricaded with walls with slits for aiming and shooting. They have melee troops on the ground behind the gate in case it falls. The flag is somewhere deep in the keep, protected.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 08:32:26 am »

Is there a time limit?

Regardless, engage with a healthy dose of cannon fire. Keep spread out and out of range, be wary of riposts. After a couple volleys, move archers forward with the palissades and fire at will.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:34:35 am by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 08:48:42 am »

There's no time limit, but if it crawls on too slowly I'll speed it up.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 09:54:13 am »

Right cannon siege it is then.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 10:45:36 am »

Keep the melee troops in range to easily defend the cannons,  otherwise I support kaian's plan.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 10:52:08 am »

Ptw

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 12:00:31 pm »

I PTW anything that seems interesting

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 02:10:08 pm »

Keep the melee troops in range to easily defend the cannons,  otherwise I support kaian's plan.
Is there a time limit?

Regardless, engage with a healthy dose of cannon fire. Keep spread out and out of range, be wary of riposts. After a couple volleys, move archers forward with the palissades and fire at will.
+1 to both

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 10:14:33 pm »

We should get Dmitri and Maxim to keep tabs on the enemy and try to spy on them as well as they can, without being caught. Which may be impossible, but we should get someone to at least try. At least make sure none of them sneak out.

Have our melee troops act as spotters for the cannons if the cannon's crew doesn't already include them. Make sure we don't hit any friendlies, and aim for gates, towers, and clusters of enemy archers.

Have archers out of range, but ready to fire on any enemies sallying out or trying to return fire. They are to aim for enemy archers first, and melee troops, who presumably have better armor, are to move palisades and keep archers protected. This being said, they should stay close enough to the cannons to protect them if need be.

We can be patient. Continue bombarding and keep archers safe unless enemy sallies or manages to reach us with a weapon of some kind.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 12:39:38 am »

Childs Play

You relay your plan to your men, and soon you prepare for the siege. You get Dmitri and Maxim to spy on the enemy, ducking behind the rocks while they spy on them from the hilltop. The back isn't as defended as you anticipated, guarded only by 6 men. The rest are on the walls, on the ground and some are manning the ballista mounted behind the gate, ready in case it falls. The enemy leader is stationed right in front of their flag, flanked by two other men. They say it's Kristof, the son of your neighbors. You've known him to be very proud, and always planning ahead.

You hear static and screams as you notice that Dmitri's icon on your screen disappears. They've been spotted! Maxim fares better, ducking behind the rocks, taking potshots at the enemy, downing two of them. He's a better shot than you thought. He calls for back up frantically, outnumbered and unable to run, fearing that he'll trip and roll down the rocky cliffside.

You call for the cannon to fire, prioritizing the gates, towers, and archers. You have your archers stay back, ready to move forward and fire when the enemy attempts to fire on the cannon. The melee infantry are responsible for moving the pallisades, raising their shields when they are fired upon. Your men wait for the order, and you yell loudly: "FIRE!"

Blasts boom through the air, shocking you with their loudness. The first shot hits its mark, the gate, unhinging it, but still standing. The second misses completely, flying through the air. The second cannon has been knocked back further than it should have by the recoil, and will take time to reposition.

The opposing archers take the opportunity to fire upon the cannoneers. The arrows sail pass them or hit their cover, but you've sustained no casualties yet. Your archers fire back at the now exposed enemy, firing a volley of arrows. They miss; they're slightly too far from good shots.
Dying of laughter?

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 06:38:07 am »

GODDAMNIT GUYS, what did I say about deploying the cannons out of range of their archers?

The archers have their wooden cover made, yes? Move up with it. Two men behind each, lift it, move forward a bit, put it down, rinse, repeat.
One group will move up to Maxim then retreat with him.

Don't shoot on the gate while they're doing so, there is a ballista behind.

have a few more volleys of cannon fire and archer fire on the walls, then we'll see.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 10:20:55 am »

Pull back our scouts is a strong definitely.

Keep our infantry back in case they want to come out of their walls.

Archers are to keep away from fire and reposition those cannons to aim for the archers. We'll blast the morale from their ears i say!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2014, 11:56:57 am »

Send Titus with 2 other melee troops and an archer to rescue Maxim; but be careful! We don't need additional casualties. And be fast about it; we don't want to give them an opening.

Reposition the cannons out of range of their archers, if possible, and fire on towers and the tops of walls, prioritizing where their archers are. The more shrapnel we can send up, the more likely they are to have more casualties.

If we spot Kristof, have our archers and/or cannons take potshots at him if it's possible to do so.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 12:30:51 pm »

Are the cannons direct fire or howitzers?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6