Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1, Turn 4: Within the Walls.  (Read 17635 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1, Turn 2: Not 'Go' Yet? Oops.
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2014, 05:43:19 pm »

Fire rockets at the turrets to the south, try to aim them so they blow a hole in the wall.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1, Turn 3: Go.
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2014, 09:00:57 pm »

Mission 1, Turn 3: Go.

Throw my smoke, away from where I or anyone else is hiding, then start sniping, prioritising the gunners.
[4+1] You throw a smoke grenade towards the far east end of the south wall, past any of your comrades, where it explodes in a dull burst of grey smoke closely followed by a steady stream of smoke outwards, creating a large smokescreen where nobody's hiding. [4+4] [5v2] [3+3] [1v4] As the more easterly guard opens up with a long burst on the position, you take a shot at the closer target first, who's searching the forest around you for targets. Your shots tears through his helmet and out the other side, the blood spraying as he falls. The closer target eliminated, you move to clear out the farther target, who, though he didn't hear your shot, shifts at just the wrong instant, causing your bullet to dig a furrow through the top-back of his helmet, staggering him but causing him no real harm.

((It's not really about pulling this off - we can, no problem. But tactics! Fucking tactics! We could have at least tried :-\))

"..."
Deidra slaps her palm onto visor with a sign as bullets go wild.
"Georgia? Thank you sincerely for messing up."
Well, there is no time for curses now.
"I'll take out those near corner."

Action: snipe guars from the nearest (or farthest, if someone tries to take my targets) machine gun and make sure that those close to them have their share of fun too.
[3+4] [1v5] [1+3] [1v1] You take not one, but two shots at the guards at the wall corner. Unfortunately, while both hit, the AP rounds chew through armor alone, and while the second shot does knock down your second opponent, you don't actually take out any guards.

(( The tactics were you all try to walk up to the wall covered in heavy machineguns manned by people with IR goggles. They'd have seen you before you got close given that to them your going to literally glow like neon signs. ))

Target the people on machineguns that are pointing in the direction of the team first then work my way along the wall, use explosive rounds for the extra shock value. Priority is to protect Nunzillor.

(( What happened to my suppressor lol? ))
[3+4] [4v3] [1+3] [2v2] Seeing as how Jack is down to the south, you take two shots- one at the southwest corner, and one at the south of the western wall (the D1 guard). While the first shot has the rather... distinctive result of punching a hole through the man's shoulder, the force of the shot sending the man's right arm flying off into the air and leaving a messy crater on the right side of the man's body.

Predictably, he topples screaming to the ground, just as you second shot goes off and hits your second target in the upper back as he leans over, peering down the barrel of his mounted gun. Your shot, while not penetrating his body, shoots right across his back and sends him toppling over the side of the wall to the ground, [3] where he lands with a crunch, out but not dead.

(I had you fire using AP rounds because it takes a turn to switch due to gun tech. I figured you wanted to fire this turn.)

((AAR is rockets, right? Also, whats my range on them?))
"Right, who shot and why? I mean really. Do you WANT to get us all killed?
Fucking hell. Now what are we gonna do? I bet there are already gunships inbound..."

Chuck a frag at a turret is in range, otherwise load the rocket clip and get ready to hit some MG positions.
Magazines switched, weapon adapting. You'll be ready to fire next turn. For the time being, you take careful aim at that lovely MG position nearby. +1 to hit on next shot.

((PewdsRocks... What the hell, dude? If you're gonna fuck up, at least don't put your teammates at risk. We should try to work together on this, not go lone wolf. Right now you're more of a liability to us than really helping. Coordinating the assault could've taken out more guards than one dumbass sniper trying to play Rambo.))

"Son of'a fuck! Who opened fire?!? If I live through this their ass is mine! At least their a diversion... Screw it, let's go!"

open fire on the machine on the wall, to provide suppressive fire. Have our demo guy get up close to blow a hole once the MG is taken out.

((We have a demo guy... Right? Someone picked big explosive stuff?))
[4+2] [5v5] [5+1] [2v5] Your suppressive fire does exactly that to the guards on the west wall- suppress them with close calls.

"Surprise is gone, opening up."

Shoot the guards on my section of wall.
[5+2] [5v6] [6+1] [3v1] You open up on the two guards that your teammates are after, the northern one simply taking your bullet in his chestplate while the closer, guard in the middle of the wall takes a bullet very similarly, except that a bullet that goes through armor and lands in the gut is generally more painful than a bullet that stops in the armor. As such, he's not feeling very good at the moment.

((Did I miss you last turn? :( Sorry if I did.))
((Nah, I just didn't post an action for the first turn.))
Try to find some cover and determine how many enemies there are nearest to me.
Take cover should I find it and wait up for the rest of my team to catch up, if they're not there already. Fire on my opponents with my regular bullets should they start shooting.

[6v3] [2v3] [3v2] [6v2] You take two shots at the guards on the wall, starting with the closer guard as he ducks for cover, holding his gut in pain. You land a solid hit, but the angle proves bad and the bullet lodges in the now-cracked helmet. The guard further up the wall, while already in cover, pokes his head up to see if he can get a shot off at your team, but you put paid to him with a solid headshot, the bullet entering one side of the helmet but not exiting through the other. Rather, it tears a path through the man's brain before reflecting off the helmet and bouncing back to tear a second path of destruction.

Get along the wall and take out anyone who throws a funny look towards me. Report contacts and visuals along the way, and don't be stupid with my maneuvers. Prefer cover over firing.

((That's about as tactical as I'll get for now, I won't really throw out any radio comms unless someone addresses me so.))
With all the guards on the western side of the wall either dead of incapacitated, you receive no resistance.

Fire rockets at the turrets to the south, try to aim them so they blow a hole in the wall.
[5] [4]You send two rockets streaming towards the southwestern wall corner right behind each other, the impacts throwing a huge wave of sound and dust into the air. As the dust clears, you see the desired result- The ten foot high wall is now perforated by a giant gap in the wall, the machinegun post nonexistent and rubble littering the ground inside the perimeter in huge, rebar-studded chunks.

((Well, we don't really have a demo guy I think, but we have a couple people with rockets that might be able to punch a hole in the wall.  I suggest they target the middle of the south wall for the breach, as the middle is where two machine guns are, and the corners only have one.  We can still do the plan, but the guards are highly disciplined (or not enough time has passed since the shots?) and are not changing position to focus on the north or check on their wounded/dead.  Since they cant be distracted into changing position, can we refocus sniping on the southern corners?  Machine guns sound bad.  Also... fuck.))

---

Jack jumps in surprise as he hears the shots and subsequent sounds of alarms from inside the battery.  Huh... looks like they jumped the gun, so to speak.  Jack eyed the machine gunners through the thin line of trees.  "I feel that this doesn't have to change much," Jack relayed through the radio.  "Let's refocus all efforts on the south, since the enemies are not changing position in response to northern fire.  Still waiting on that breach, guys.  Snipers: see any entrances into the underground facility?"

Edit: "Get rid of southern fire, poke a hole in the southern wall, stroll in through the hole, focus combined strength on enemies in the immediate interior, then without delay find a way into the underground portion of the battery.  Quickly and in that order.  Thoughts?"

Planned action is unchanged.
((Sorry for walls of text))
Seeing Cincinnatus put two rockets into the wall corner nearby, you decide to go for it. Dashing across the fifty-foot deforestation perimeter, you jump through the gap in the wall, as you get ready to throw a grenade to the top of the south wall. [2+1] Unfortunately, it lands at the base of the wall, the guard at the top remaining untouched, though you continue to run.

Guards: [5+1] The guards on the west wall can't do anything because they're pretty much all dead or knocked out, but the guards still alive turn to the outside, searching for snipers. [5+1] [6] [3] The guards on the north wall spot Everett, and even as he lines up a shot on the machinegun posts, they start aiming at him.

[6v1+1] [5v1+1] Unfortunately, he notices too slowly, and by the time he's diving to the side, the bullets are already on their way. While only two bullet hit him, they do quite a bit of damage. The first punches right through his lower body, leaving a clean hole in the armor that quickly fills with blood and starts leaking out even as the armor's underlayer tries to bandage the wound. The second bullet lands square in the meat of the thigh, and while it doesn't go through, it does something that is fr more uncomfortable- it lodges in his freshly broken thighbone. [1+1] The pain from the rough landing proves too much, and while he lands in a relatively safe location, he's out, his mind shut down from the overload of sensation.

Meanwhile, on the southern front, Jack continues his mad rush into the battery. [5+1] [6+1v6] Even as he rolls into cover beside the closest point defense turret, the grenade lands not twenty feet away, fragments pinging off the housing of the smaller laser battery as the guard, while mostly intact, is thrown to the ground twenty feet away with a dozen small puncture wounds, having leapt away as the grenade landed. Luckily for Jack, he's unconscious. Unluckily for Jack, the others aren't.

Have fun, folks.

Spoiler: GM Comments (click to show/hide)

Character Sheet
Current Map (Orange ovals are live enemies. Red ovals are dead enemies/civilians. Blue ovals are incapacitated enemies/civilians. Yellow ovals are live civilians. Green rounded rectangles are players.)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2014, 09:09:09 pm »

((So, am I able to do anything?))
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2014, 10:01:42 pm »

John, seeing the explosion on the far corner, decides to act.

"Shit, were sitting ducks out here in the open! Ok guys, this is it! The walls breached, let's go, go, go!"

Rush the breach.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2014, 10:06:28 pm »

Kill any other guards I see.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2014, 10:14:38 pm »

Wait and overwatch from this side of the wall. If my teammates start breaching, breach with them.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2014, 10:54:34 pm »

((So, am I able to do anything?))
You can set an action to do should you make the pain check next round. Popular choices for said actions in the past have been either 'heal wounds' or 'shoot enemies'. Also, you're currently bleeding internally, so you might want to get that fixed with a medkit before tou bleed out or something along those lines.

The character sheets aren't fully updated, but I'll get them done.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2014, 11:08:18 pm »

Save Jack's lower back with carefully placed shots at the enemies he misses or doesn't shoot at.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Nunzillor

« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2014, 01:47:21 am »

"I'm in!  And I'm not dead (yet)!  Holy shit!"

Continuing to take cover behind the laser battery, Jack glances around desperately for an opening into the underground facility and (if he sees one) dashes into it takes the unconscious enemy and gets cover in the doorway, providing suppressive fire for all allies attempting to enter the facility or inner compound.  If no such entrance is visible, he chucks his last GAFG at the enemy in D3 and takes the nearby unconscious guard as a human shield, making sure to stay behind cover and out of the E2 enemy's line of sight.  Then, if he has time, he opens fire on the enemy in B2.

((Note: this is subject to change once the character sheets are updated.  I don't want to just rush in to thr facility and leave my allies hanging if I can help.))

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:29:44 am by Nunzillor »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 10, 2014, 01:58:05 am »

Deidra cursed under her breath. Guards, already alerted, proved to be much more tricky targets.

"Georrgia..."

Oh well. Tricky does not mean impossible. And she still got one. Now for the other...

Continue sniping, trying to eliminate the last guards near my position.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

PewdsRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2014, 02:16:01 am »

Continue shooting, priority on the surviving MG teams with those with line of sight on Everett first. Keep firing until all targets are down. On the final target aim for the throat and try to land the shot so it slices the victims throat but doesn't kill instantly.

Let anyone nearby watch him/her drown in their own blood.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 04:45:02 pm by PewdsRocks »
Before you start a war, you better know what your fighting for.
If loves a fight, then I shall die, with my heart on a trigger.

I'm an angel with a shotgun, Fight until the wars won. I'd throw away my faith, just to keep you safe.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2014, 06:58:27 am »

Move up and take cover next to the hole I made in the wall. Fire a rocket at the guards on the east wall.

"If you're going to rush the breach, get behind cover immediately afterwards, as all the guards will be targeting you."
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 10, 2014, 02:28:39 pm »

Try to take cover, fix wound.
"H-help me?"
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 13, 2014, 01:40:04 pm »

((Sorry for not posting before, by the way.))
If Jack is near me, open fire on nearby guards and drag him to safety.
If he's not, open fire on any guards, and follow my teammates if they go forward. Covering fire if necesarry.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar Mercenaries v1.10, Mission 1, Turn 4: Within the Walls.
« Reply #149 on: April 13, 2014, 08:48:08 pm »

Mission 1, Turn 4: Within the Walls.

John, seeing the explosion on the far corner, decides to act.

"Shit, were sitting ducks out here in the open! Ok guys, this is it! The walls breached, let's go, go, go!"

Rush the breach.
You do exactly that. You jump over the short pile of rubble which is all that remains of the wall at the breach, and make your way across the rubble apron and into the base.

Kill any other guards I see.
[6+1v5] You make your way to the unconscious guard and slide your knife into the base of her skull, having removed her helmet first. You then make your way to stand by the breach.

Wait and overwatch from this side of the wall. If my teammates start breaching, breach with them.
GOGOGO!

"I'm in!  And I'm not dead (yet)!  Holy shit!"

Continuing to take cover behind the laser battery, Jack glances around desperately for an opening into the underground facility and (if he sees one) dashes into it takes the unconscious enemy and gets cover in the doorway, providing suppressive fire for all allies attempting to enter the facility or inner compound.  If no such entrance is visible, he chucks his last GAFG at the enemy in D3 and takes the nearby unconscious guard as a human shield, making sure to stay behind cover and out of the E2 enemy's line of sight.  Then, if he has time, he opens fire on the enemy in B2.

((Note: this is subject to change once the character sheets are updated.  I don't want to just rush in to thr facility and leave my allies hanging if I can help.))
Seeing a nearby staircase down, you look at your options. The unconscious enemy soldier is in the line of fire, but you can get him if you try. However, you do have an option- there's another stairwell not too far out, and you'll only be in the line of enemy fire for a bit, if you pull it off right. If you can get that open, then you can get what you need. [1+2v2] It seems unwise to try this normally, so you trigger your movement boost and dash for the stairwell.

You burst out of cover, sprinting towards the downed guard, and pick him up like a child, dragging him behind you as the enemy opens fire one you, the bullets flying through the space behind you as you run, jumping down into the safety of the stairwell. ((Be glad this was a vs. roll- otherwise, you would have failed, even with the boost. Three turns to recharge.))

Safely ensconced in your stairwell, you heft your gun and pop out to shoot at your closest adversary. And a good thing, too- the man is holding a grenade. [4v6] The guard sees you taking aim, and as such drops to avoid your bullets, [2] the grenade rolling out of his hand and away from his prone form.

Save Jack's lower back with carefully placed shots at the enemies he misses or doesn't shoot at.
With extreme concern for Jack's lumbar region, you scope up and start shooting. [2+4v2] [5v3] The first shot you have to adjust at the last second as your target goes prone, but your gun doesn't fail you, and the bullet slams into the guard that Jack missed, tearing through his neck and embedding itself in the concrete apron of the gun battery. [2+3v6] Unfortunately, the machinegun-controlling guard doesn't give you a good shot, and you have to snipe for his shoulder as he twists, resulting in a wasted shot.

Deidra cursed under her breath. Guards, already alerted, proved to be much more tricky targets.

"Georrgia..."

Oh well. Tricky does not mean impossible. And she still got one. Now for the other...

Continue sniping, trying to eliminate the last guards near my position.
[5+4v6] [6v2] [4+3v1] [4+1v6] You take aim at the Northwest corner open fire. Your first shot is a perfect headshot on the more southerly of the two guards, the perforated helmet falling off of of the guard's head as he falls to the walkway. Your second shot isn't quite as lucky. Your shot is perfect, but the bullet takes it upon itself to land an inch higher up on the guard's head, so instead of a killing shot you merely knock out the guard. They aren't in good shape, but still.

Continue shooting, priority on the surviving MG teams with those with line of sight on Everett first. Keep firing until all targets are down. On the final target aim for the throat and try to land the shot so it slices the victims throat but doesn't kill instantly.

Let anyone nearby watch him/her drown in their own blood.

((Policy- two shots per turn unless in close combat/really short range.)) [5+4v5] [5+1v6] [4+2v4] [3+1v6] You take two shots at the A2 and A4 guards, but both shots, though they hit their desired targets, fail to do any real damage. The guards are staggered and in cover, yes, but they are far from down.

Move up and take cover next to the hole I made in the wall. Fire a rocket at the guards on the east wall.

"If you're going to rush the breach, get behind cover immediately afterwards, as all the guards will be targeting you."
[3] [2] [3] You take cover at the edge of the hole and let loose a rocket. The E5 guard sees it coming and tries to get out of the way, but unfortunately for him, while there isn't much of a blast, the impact destabilizes the walkway he's standing on and sends him falling to the ground, where he lands, unconscious but unharmed.

Try to take cover, fix wound.
"H-help me?"
You jolt back into conciousness with the jolt of five seperate needles firing into back, injecting you with stimulants. [1+1] Unfortunately, as you reach for the medi-foam canister at your belt, you twist the wrong way, sending you into spasms of pain to accompany your fading vision.

((Sorry for not posting before, by the way.))
If Jack is near me, open fire on nearby guards and drag him to safety.
If he's not, open fire on any guards, and follow my teammates if they go forward. Covering fire if necessary.

You move to the gate, and stand ready to provide covering fire for your teammates.

Larry, Scion, and John rush into the base, heading for the turret near Jack. As the group rushes into the base, Larry lags behind a little to direct his fire at the E2 guard. [2v1] [4v4] [4v6]His first shot hits home, and you see him stagger back, but he doesn't drop- the shot may have broken a rib or two, but the guard is far from down.

However, Larry did his job, and the three rush over to the turret, taking cover in its shadow as Scion and John take aim at the B2 guard. [2+1v3] [6+1v6] [4v5]Unfortunately, neither experiences much success, Scion's laser cutting through air as the guard dives to the side, and John's bullet intended for the guard's sternum embedding itself in the guard's armor as he ducks out of sight behind a vent unit.

Have fun, folks.

Spoiler: GM Comments (click to show/hide)

Character Sheets
Current Map (Orange ovals are live enemies. Red ovals are dead enemies/civilians. Blue ovals are incapacitated enemies/civilians. Yellow ovals are live civilians.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:22:06 pm by Doomblade187 »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12