Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40

Author Topic: [ISG] Ghoulish  (Read 82394 times)

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] Ghoulish
« Reply #510 on: June 08, 2014, 05:24:37 pm »

It is currently After Midnight. If we're going to do anything we'll have to do it tonight or risk losing the nomads during the day.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 08, 2014, 05:26:41 pm »

The nomads are unlikely to hole up in a fort, and we have a flying scout. We are unlikely to loose them, and since we don't sleep, we shouldn't have any trouble catching up to them if they start moving away from us, as we can march 24/7 if needed.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 14, 2014, 06:11:12 am »

The Plains of Grating, Fifth Age
The Age of Death, Year 625

Day 22, Around Noon

The smaller group of the nomads looks like an easy enough goal, and you decide to go after them – sending the owl ahead for further reconnaissance. You pack two portions of the smoked goat, and set off. While the path alongside the river was still visible from the city, while actually traversing it you notice that the intact stretches are very far and in between. Travelling alongside the muddy beck, you think the landscape to slowly becoming more flat, with the stunted trees and bush-growths becoming even more sparse.

Soon enough the night makes place for dawn, the occasional eagle being the only signs of life that you encounter. The journey continues on that vein, and some time around noon you are actually glad to have the horse, as the heat reaches disagreeable heights even for an undead like yourself. Hearing a splashing sound from the river, you ride closer to the embankment, presuming it to be some kind of animal.

" … "

Yeah, sure enough. There is an animal, and three extras.  You have no idea what that insectoid is, and somewhat more pressing are the humanoids that would seem to be its owners, and the origin of the splashing sound. No matter how you look at them, they should be lizardmen. Only that your memory tells you that they have been wiped from the continent centuries ago, with no knowledge of any other habitations.

Regardless of their falsely presumed extinction, their behaviour is almost more strange, as their expressions have changed from surprise to cautious – a big improvement to the panic, horror or ire that has accompanied your sightings until now. Having their bath interrupted, the one still in the water is about to hurry back, with the yellowish one just having snarled at his immediate neighbour. The later immediately stops unsheating his weapon, with three eyepairs resting on you rather uneasy. Leaving aside this peculiar situation, your troops will reach your position in a matter of seconds.

Currently:
202/205 HP
13/175 MP
70 MP Stored

Hungry - Halfed HP-Regeneration
Lacking Sentient Nourishment - -1 Agility and Intelligence for Skill- and Combat-checks
Light Scratches - 3

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Followers (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mind Map (click to show/hide)

" ... this is awkward. I guess. "

Yeah... So I introduced these guys into the encounter table for that direction, and viola - praise the dice... for making me draw them on the spot, instead of a more timely manner. Thanks Dice ;[

As a small heads-up, I decided to categorize magic into two types. A Ritual needs a circle, and while a Spell does not really require one, it is still easier to cast with it. Basically, out of combat gives a small bonus to spells, and in-combat a hefty malus to rituals. Unless you draw the circle, fill in the symbols and stuff. I don't really expect this new mechanic to do much, but the thought of us spell-slinging around some of the more complicated spells we already have – or those that I would have planned for the different schools – was nagging at me in a negative way, so thats that.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 14, 2014, 08:04:32 am »

"He~ey guys... this is a bit awkward. I'm looking for a few human nomads to kill so, ah, have you seen them?"

Don't unsheath our sword or bow yet; figure out where our other undead are.

I hoping that these lizard-men aren't exactly friends with the humans. If they were mostly wiped out, it was either because of those Migo, IIRC, or the humans. My bet is on the humans being the bad guy to them.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 14, 2014, 08:07:41 am »

"He~ey guys... this is a bit awkward. I'm looking for a few human nomads to kill so, ah, have you seen them?"

Don't unsheath our sword or bow yet; figure out where our other undead are.

I hoping that these lizard-men aren't exactly friends with the humans. If they were mostly wiped out, it was either because of those Migo, IIRC, or the humans. My bet is on the humans being the bad guy to them.
Yes, we need living allies. And we can capitalize on their vulnerable state. Hell, maybe we could even offer them shelter in our city.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 14, 2014, 08:18:29 am »

Yes, we need living allies. And we can capitalize on their vulnerable state. Hell, maybe we could even offer them shelter in our city.
That would be greatl if we could get them to follow us - they'd be our elite troops for when a horde of undead goats just doesn't cut it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #516 on: June 14, 2014, 08:20:11 am »

Why would they just become our underlings?

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 14, 2014, 08:25:50 am »

Because we offer them a place to stay and tasty man goat flesh to eat. Besides, if our undead get here we can coerce them into pretty much anything on pain of death and soul enslavement.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #518 on: June 14, 2014, 08:33:04 am »

Because we offer them a place to stay and tasty man goat flesh to eat. Besides, if our undead get here we can coerce them into pretty much anything on pain of death and soul enslavement.
Could they really be that simple-minded? I mean they're armed, they have a domesticated animal, they're bathing, they haven't attacked us right away. Probably intelligent and reasonable.

I should read more of the game, I think. I'm probably just missing something.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 14, 2014, 08:36:42 am »

You don't need to be simple-minded to know when you're outnumbered; they aren't as hot-headed as humans, or they would have attack us already. This isn't really a matter of their intelligence, mostly just our power and persuasiveness.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #520 on: June 14, 2014, 08:42:26 am »

You don't need to be simple-minded to know when you're outnumbered; they aren't as hot-headed as humans, or they would have attack us already. This isn't really a matter of their intelligence, mostly just our power and persuasiveness.
They'd still be unwilling, and that alone would make them awful soldiers. You'd also need to keep an eye on them constantly to avoid betrayal, and they'd surely take every chance to get away.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 14, 2014, 08:44:18 am »

Unless we successfully persuade them into joining our just cause against the human menace.

If we're worried about it, there's probably some sorta "enslave mind" type magic later on.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 14, 2014, 09:04:25 am »

" Well, they were on the bad side with a couple of races, hobogoblins, high-elves, cente and trolls to name a few. What really gave them the last push was - ironically - their main deity, a dragon. Only that it didn't appreciate being worshipped, and much less appreciated being disturbed in its roost to repay the favour. Actually, that it did, only in a way the remaining lizardmen did never guess nor account for. Nowadays they are already considered a mythical creature by unstudied and uninformed minds. Which translates to "almost anyone", in case you were wondering. At least in these folktales they are indeed often enough in league with a dragon, for all that that is worth."

This isn't really a matter of their intelligence, mostly just our power and persuasiveness.

*Breaks the 4th wall to inspect own charsheet* " Hmm.. a 5, huh? "

" Power it is, then. "

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 14, 2014, 09:08:46 am »

Just use Telepathic link. Even if language cannot be conveyed by it, it probably allows for most forms of general communication. I think it may be best if we dont go all murderous on them, considering that their survival is a bit of an anomaly, seeing as its pretty unlikely that a new race of lizard-people evolved and got up to speed with all the other races. Try to be cordial with them I guess, and call away your undead until diplomacy is no longer an option.

Thats my opinion anyway.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #524 on: June 14, 2014, 09:17:59 am »

Just use Telepathic link. Even if language cannot be conveyed by it, it probably allows for most forms of general communication. I think it may be best if we dont go all murderous on them, considering that their survival is a bit of an anomaly, seeing as its pretty unlikely that a new race of lizard-people evolved and got up to speed with all the other races. Try to be cordial with them I guess, and call away your undead until diplomacy is no longer an option.

Thats my opinion anyway.
+1 It's worth a shot to try and talk first. Our undead can remain as close as possible while being just out of sight.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 40