Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40

Author Topic: [ISG] Ghoulish  (Read 82339 times)

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] Ghoulish
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2014, 11:46:56 am »

Drop the corpses of the two hunters off in the cave, and use mana from the ring to fix the error we first made when creating the horse.

You know what? Absorb all the energy from the ring, then drop it near the source of magical energy. We want to colled the energy afterwards.
+1

Yeah. Carry the corpses back. Make multiple trips if required.

Assuming that happens uneventfully, time skip. Rest and practice archery with the wood tipped arrows until your HP is fully restored, you run out of food, or something demands your attention.

use mana from the ring to fix the error we first made when creating the horse.

-1. We should either make the horse permanent, or allow the spell to wear off once we are done with our hauling. I don't see much reason to go for the middle ground on this. We are making 40 mana per day and losing only 16, assuming we bide our time and avoid wasting mana, we should be able to make the horse permanent in a few days.

On that note: Do some reflection and magical calculation. Try to guess what your odds of pulling off the permanency ritual without messing up are. Also try to recall if the Horse Bones can be reused if you allow the spell to elapse.
+1
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:50:46 pm by Chink »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2014, 01:20:36 pm »

You know what? Absorb all the energy from the ring, then drop it near the source of magical energy. We want to colled the energy afterwards.

Also, +1 to carrying the corpses back.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2014, 08:27:03 pm »

+1

Yeah. Carry the corpses back. Make multiple trips if required.

Assuming that happens uneventfully, time skip. Rest and practice archery with the wood tipped arrows until your HP is fully restored, you run out of food, or something demands your attention.

use mana from the ring to fix the error we first made when creating the horse.

-1. We should either make the horse permanent, or allow the spell to wear off once we are done with our hauling. I don't see much reason to go for the middle ground on this. We are making 40 mana per day and losing only 16, assuming we bide our time and avoid wasting mana, we should be able to make the horse permanent in a few days.

On that note: Do some reflection and magical calculation. Try to guess what your odds of pulling off the permanency ritual without messing up are. Also try to recall if the Horse Bones can be reused if you allow the spell to elapse.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:33:38 pm by Weirdsound »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2014, 08:33:07 pm »

+1
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2014, 08:35:58 pm »

Drop the corpses of the two hunters off in the cave, and use mana from the ring to fix the error we first made when creating the horse.

If we're going to be making the horse permanent in a few days, we might as well do this now, as the mana we save until we can do the full permanency ritual will almost completely pay the cost of the fix back, and we'll get useful practice in necromancy by fixing the error.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2014, 08:40:35 pm »

If we're going to be making the horse permanent in a few days, we might as well do this now, as the mana we save until we can do the full permanency ritual will almost completely pay the cost of the fix back, and we'll get useful practice in necromancy by fixing the error.

I see your point, but it also gives us an extra chance to fail in an epic, self harming, and/or horse destroying fashion. I'd rather not take those risks until after we have those corpses stashed away.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:45:41 pm by Weirdsound »

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2014, 08:50:05 pm »

I see your point, but it also gives us an extra chance to fail in an epic, self harming, and/or horse destroying fashion. I'd rather not take those risks until after we have those corpses stashed away.
Hmm, I hadn't considered that. +1 to your course of action, then.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2014, 08:58:20 pm »

Your action might still be good. I hadn't thought about the extra practice myself. I think we just need some exposition from the GM to better understand the potential consequences at this point.

It is also worth considering that a horse may not be as useful up in the mountains as it would be in the lowlands. We might be better served using our limited early game mana supply on those human corpses once we get them up to the cave.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2014, 11:45:34 am »

( I revised the spell-costs for transmutation spells. Especially "Change Object" was far too expensive as to be useful in any way.)

The Plains of Grating, Fifth Age
The Age of Death, Year 625

Day 2, Around Midnight

After draining the ring, you leave it behind with all but the saddlebag, rope and your own equipment. You still retain a basic memory of the way you came, and with the river as a good point of reference you progress much faster than previously. Granted, the horse is also a bit less weighed down by now.

+20 MP

The whole affair is rather uneventful, with only the occasional owl or other nocturnal animal showing itself. Well, more like fleeing from your presence, but still. You use that time to think over your animated horse, and how you ought to fix it – a task that goes reasonably well.

Since you accidentally wove the magic a bit unconventional, continuing in that vein would actually make the whole affair cheaper. Lowering the upkeep to the standard 9 Mana per day, now only would cost 15 MP instead of 25. While leaving it be, and animating it again at a later point in time would be an option, you somehow would find that course of action very wasteful.

It is not much further to the landmark with which you remember the position of the hunters camp, when your eyes are drawn across the river, to a small fire in the distance. Somehow, these people start to strike you as far too careless... No, really. If anything were to happen, it is almost entirely their own fault already. You guess they have not had any bandits or wars here recently.

You have strengthend your necromantic knowledge.
You have rediscovered a new spell.

Enslave Lesser Souls - 25 MP
Allows the enslavement of lesser, or rather “newly dead” souls.
A soul may be placed into a construct, resulting in an autonomous undead.
A souls essence may be devoured, restoring half of the souls previously held maximum mana.
Devouring a Soul or failing this spell has the chance to transform the affected into a wraith, which will be hostile towards the caster.

Necromancy would be a lot less hated – no, really – if it were not for this factor. Binding a soul into an undead body, curses the former to strengthen the later. The result is no longer just a marionette, but an intelligent being, able to deduce and solve problems. The presence of a soul also results in strengthened physical abilities, most notably a higher agility, attributed to the presence of mind within.

The risk of creating a wraith is not to be neglected however, with many aspiring necromancers having found their untimely demise by one of their own machinations. Especially practitioners of the arcane arts and priests are known to transform into a vengeful spirit via this method.

Necropedium

Ghosts
Type: Archetype
Behind this common moniker for any dead soul that is unbound to a body, actually stands a plethora of entities. Even the notorious necromancer normally only deals with the more basic spectres, as the ire of an elder ghost is rather problematic. As souls of the upper planes mesh together into single entities, one should tread carefully according to the age of the ghost one is dealing with.

Currently:
120/205 HP
57/157 MP

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Followers (click to show/hide)

" I've got my horse, that twohander and my hand is also partly healed by now. "

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2014, 12:01:31 pm »

Ignore the other camp. We are hurt. We don't need trouble. Just collect our food and go.

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2014, 12:57:12 pm »

Ignore the other camp, grab what we came for, and head back. Once we get back, we should enslave the soul of one of the men we killed earlier and eat it, then attempt the full permanency ritual on the horse.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2014, 02:15:45 pm »

Ignore the other camp, grab what we came for, and head back. Once we get back, we should enslave the soul of one of the men we killed earlier and eat it, then attempt the full permanency ritual on the horse.

If that is even possible. Souls may be bound to the place of death as opposed to the body. We may have to do that crap around camp. Also, soul enslavement should be attempted far from our cave and out in the lowlands, so that we can escape any resulting Wraith on horseback.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 08, 2014, 02:32:56 pm »

If that is even possible. Souls may be bound to the place of death as opposed to the body. We may have to do that crap around camp. Also, soul enslavement should be attempted far from our cave and out in the lowlands, so that we can escape any resulting Wraith on horseback.

" Contrary to popular belief, the head is the seat of the soul, instead of the heart. Well, the later is truthfully the seat of vitality, but still. If you use the head as a focus, the spirit normaly has a greater attachment to it than its place of death. Unless they camped there for years-on-end, I think we will be fine... "

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2014, 02:46:32 pm »

Still, if we want to eat a soul, I'd say behead a corpse, pack your horse so you are ready to flee in case the spell goes wrong, and nom the soul before you leave the camp. I'd rather deal with a hostile undead beast in the open than risk losing our hidey hole if it drives us out of the cave.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2014, 03:32:48 pm »

What if they legitimately had been camping there for years? That would be an interesting plot twist.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40