Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: AvP the RTD: Rieker's Island  (Read 13439 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: AvP the RTD: Rieker's Island
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2014, 08:45:51 am »

You were rescued by a different ship so that doesn't make you from the same ship.
Yes, you were- ahem- "Rescued" by the other pirates, and brought to the tavern.
"The other pirates" is presumably referring to the other PCs playing as pirates.

No reason that they should have taken the time to fill you in on everything.
At the very least, I should know how many and who (username) they are.

Hell I grew up with the other natives and have known them my entire life and I don't know who they are.
And that is also a problem!

You'll find out sooner or later just wait and see, much more interesting that way.
"Interesting" is having to work with only the information your character would know.
"Annoying" is not having important information that your character would know.

Also, you also asked to known the race of another player and asked for the same before the game even began despite the fact that the GM was doing it by PM and not publicly for a reason.
I made it clear that the reason for that was so I would know what gaps we had.
And what would I have done with that information, anyways? "The predators are Yourmaster and Cheesecake. That means that any posts they make are actions for the Predators!"

And now on the expert advice of half a dozen people. I'm going to cease responding to you because it's senseless.
No. Senseless would be if I cussed at you and made all sorts of insane statements. This? This is logic.

Let me put it this way:
1. I barely have any idea where I am.
2. I have no idea who I'm with.
3. I am in a subservient position to an undisclosed number and variety of individuals.
4. I really should know a lot of this stuff.
5. Until I do know, there's not a hell of a lot I can do because I don't know what I can do!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2014, 09:12:27 am »

((Just trying to state some game parts from my view, answering GWG above))

It can also mean NPC characters. As it is seen from literature bits, they are on island in abundance. Several pirate ships, tribes, etc.

Perhaps, you know one or two personas, but, considering pirate merry life there is around 10% that you ended up on one island with someone you truly know from you previous years of plunder.

There are several tribes on the island. And freaking horde of different natives. Maybe you'll recognize someone. If you meet him face-to-face and study his battle markings. After all, other players are not someone you know.

I think you can introduce a huge chunck of personal info without damaging game in any way. But claiming that you personally know other players is kinda strange. Even for xenomorphs. Who grew up together in the same cave. Only predators may claim acquaintance with each other without problem.

We don't know reasons why GM was so centered on receiving our sheets in PM. Better ask him directly what was main idea.

1. Not that surprising. Pirate life, rum and adventuries.
2. Ask GM about surroundings.
3. You don't have any scanner to know anything but this.
4. I totally agree with you about surroundings.
5. Roleplay. First turns are to get us acquainted to the surroundings. Tribesmen don't know much about exterior of the island and taboo places, other humans don't know interior, aliens and preds must search for every bit of info.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:32:25 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2014, 09:44:55 am »

-snip-
((You're missing the point. I don't want to know the detailed life stories and genealogies of every pirate in a 100-mile radius; I want to know how many pirates there are in the area and what players I should PM for interactions with them.
And this isn't North America, this is a mall island. We have white men from one small? town, natives from one island (never implied to be an extremely large one), and pirates from one ship. We should know each other.))

1. Not that surprising. Pirate life, rum and adventuries.
2. Ask GM about surroundings.
3. You don't have any scanner to know anything but this.
4. I totally agree with you about surroundings.
5. Roleplay. First turns are to get us acquainted to the surroundings. Tribesmen don't know much about exterior of the island and taboo places, other humans don't know interior, aliens and preds must search for every bit of info.
1. ...?
2. I have been asking and everyone's been complaining about me asking.
3. Really? What happened to my eyes?
5. I need to spend whole turns opening my eyes and figuring out what should be entirely obvious to my character?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2014, 09:53:19 am »

Let me put it this way:
3. I am in a subservient position to an undisclosed number and variety of individuals.
5. Until I do know, there's not a hell of a lot I can do because I don't know what I can do!

Good points all, except they were answered in the very first post of the topic. >.>

-Megasnip-
Once we have a few players, I'll start the plot up, but until then, Predators are on their ship preparing to go to the surface, humans are in the port shanty, and Xenomorphs are growing to full size inside a cave on the island.

1. You are currently in the larger of the two taverns in the main (Read: Only large) settlement on Rieker's Island. It is located on the southern end of the island in a cove. It has a large port facility, and a small fort up on one arm of the cove. The island itself is somewhat teardrop shaped, with the port in the very bottom. I'll draw a map in a minute.
2. You are with a huge, mixed group of island inhabitants. The pirates that rescued you were surprisingly humanitarian, and brought you here, but they subsequently wandered off and you haven't seen them in awhile.
3. There was only about twenty pirates on the boat, and they didn't seem too inclined on extracting a bounty from you. You think they are still on the island somewhere, so you could go ask them if you like.
4. Yes.
5. Now you know, right?

Also, chill out a bit everyone, or I'll just lock the topic until I need action posts, then lock it after that. If you have a burning desire to ask me questions, I would prefer if you did it in your action PM so I can kinda keep the thread a bit less cluttered.

((Just trying to state some game parts from my view, answering GWG above))

It can also mean NPC characters. As it is seen from literature bits, they are on island in abundance. Several pirate ships, tribes, etc.

Perhaps, you know one or two personas, but, considering pirate merry life there is around 10% that you ended up on one island with someone you truly know from you previous years of plunder.

There are several tribes on the island. And freaking horde of different natives. Maybe you'll recognize someone. If you meet him face-to-face and study his battle markings. After all, other players are not someone you know.

I think you can introduce a huge chunck of personal info without damaging game in any way. But claiming that you personally know other players is kinda strange. Even for xenomorphs. Who grew up together in the same cave. Only predators may claim acquaintance with each other without problem.

We don't know reasons why GM was so centered on receiving our sheets in PM. Better ask him directly what was main idea.

This, pretty much. There's literally three entire PCs in town right now, so most of the people you see around you are NPCs.

It's possible, but unlikely, as you said. You never know what can happen though...

Yes, multiple tribes. Some of them do not get along at all, also.

Yeah, you are totally able to do this. :P If you ask the person first, and work some sort of story out, I'm fine with the humans knowing each other some how.

I did it because it's convenient for me and for other, undisclosed reasons. You can share whatever information about your character that you like, for now.

-snip-
((You're missing the point. I don't want to know the detailed life stories and genealogies of every pirate in a 100-mile radius; I want to know how many pirates there are in the area and what players I should PM for interactions with them.
And this isn't North America, this is a mall island. We have white men from one small? town, natives from one island (never implied to be an extremely large one), and pirates from one ship. We should know each other.))

The island is decent sized, with about a thousand humans living on it. As I said before, there are no other pirate players. Pay attention when I say stuff please. The town is fairly small, yeah. It's got a population of about six hundred, counting the soldiers in the fort. And the pirates are from a MULTITUDE of ships. You're making a few assumptions that aren't true.

Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2014, 10:20:41 am »

Oh well, ninja'd by GM  :D

Most of my points were already stated, so I pass my answers.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2014, 10:22:01 am »

Let me put it this way:
Good points all, except they were answered in the very first post of the topic. >.>
-Megasnip-
Once we have a few players, I'll start the plot up, but until then, Predators are on their ship preparing to go to the surface, humans are in the port shanty, and Xenomorphs are growing to full size inside a cave on the island.

Which tells me...not much. Certainly not all I would find extremely useful to determine what the hell I'm doing.

The island is decent sized, with about a thousand humans living on it. As I said before, there are no other pirate players. Pay attention when I say stuff please. The town is fairly small, yeah. It's got a population of about six hundred, counting the soldiers in the fort. And the pirates are from a MULTITUDE of ships. You're making a few assumptions that aren't true.
Not that your descriptions helped any.
And this is the first I've heard of there not being any other pirate players. Especially since that would have been a pretty easy answer to "Am I with the other pirate players?"

For now, try to avoid getting anyone's attention. At some point, see if I can slip out of the tavern and the town without the other pirates noticing. Best-case scenario, I can find some way to get to somewhere less...piratey. Worst-case-scenario, I'll eventually find some natives.
Okay, actual worst-case-scenario, I lose various limbs to Predators and get a facehugger to hug my face, but I don't know about that yet.
Sig

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2014, 11:02:23 am »

Running alongside the sand banks, Fang paused and softly hissed to herself in mild amusement. It was the first time in her entire life (short it might be) she sensed so much possible hosts nearby. Although it tickled her interest, her curiosity was preoccupied with much closer things...

Action: run to the jungle edge and stealthily approach source of bloody smell.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2014, 11:20:05 am »

Running alongside the sand banks, Fang paused and softly hissed to herself in mild amusement. It was the first time in her entire life (short it might be) she sensed so much possible hosts nearby. Although it tickled her interest, her curiosity was preoccupied with much closer things...

Action: run to the jungle edge and stealthily approach source of bloody smell.
I have to ask, do aliens have a sex?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2014, 11:26:23 am »

((From what I remember of the movies, xenomorphs can be divided into facehuggers (which can arguably be either gender), queens (definitely female), and the "normal" 'morphs (roughly analogous to the sterile female workers in many insect species, especially since the queens were stated in one of the posts to be formed from the "workers" (which I'm not sure if any insects actually do, but that doesn't matter much.)))
Sig

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2014, 11:27:46 am »

((IIRC, I think that they reproduce by asexual means, and they absorb DNA from hosts, thus not having genders and then not needing sexual reproduction.))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2014, 11:29:31 am »

((I counter that by answering "We can't really be sure in anything considering them".

They can have gender, or can have no gender. They can be like ants, sterile female populace with queen on top, or be just something entirely else. They even have several ways of reproduction, as shown in films. I won't go further into it. Everyone decides for themselves. Personally, I view xenomorphs as gendered creatures. On a mental level, at least.))

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2014, 11:35:06 am »

((Oh, well, I see them as souless begins even worse than the Zerg and the Tyranids fused. I guess that it is just different visions))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2014, 11:39:32 am »

((Yeah, one can view aliens from entirely different viewpoints. And that's awesome))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2014, 11:57:10 am »

(( I choose to view them as cockroaches with teeth that need to be stepped on. ))
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2014, 12:00:15 pm »

(( I choose to view them as cockroaches with teeth that need to be stepped on. ))
Hah, you're fine to try. But I fear that it would go the other way. You must exterminate them with much more dedication than that  :)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8