Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your opinion on the increasing usage of memes as a form of primary communication?

- 3 (7.1%)
Upvote
- 21 (50%)
Epic
- 18 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Doge's poll; much memes, very #yoloswag, 3government5u  (Read 6281 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Doge's poll; much memes, very #yoloswag, 3government5u
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 07:15:22 pm »

I enjoy memes. Even if they do begin to creep into everyday communication in a major way, well, it's certainly better than the grammar-less chat speak garbage the average brainless dipshit spews out on Facebook. At least this option has the possibility of adorable cats.
This requires context...and perhaps less crude adjectives. o_O
Average?  :-\

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 07:17:36 pm »

I think if you were to visit a random Facebook message you would have a good chance of seeing what he's talking about. But all the social networking sites are bad in that way because they're filled up with the same users. Occasionally you see some brighter users and sometimes a brighter subculture. And forums can be a little better, depending. 
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 07:20:49 pm »

One potentially valid point is that a lot of this sort of communication is going to be shallow and trend towards rote responses regardless of how it is expressed, and the use of memes just makes it slightly easier to determine the shade of stupid that one is reading.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 07:44:39 pm »

I think if you were to visit a random Facebook message you would have a good chance of seeing what he's talking about. But all the social networking sites are bad in that way because they're filled up with the same users. Occasionally you see some brighter users and sometimes a brighter subculture. And forums can be a little better, depending.
...I don't see it in my facebook list, and said list comprises most people I know from elementary to college, from teacher to student to family of each.

So...I literally cannot relate. If you meant horrid grammar and 2stoopid4u talk or whatever, then yes, I still cannot see any such notice.

...This is a cultural thing, isn't it?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 07:46:05 pm »

I tuned out a long time ago. Obama is one of the most media savvy presidents in history.

And you know what I do with the majority of media? I ignore it. At first I was like "Yeah, a president who isn't a robot!" Now, every time I see Obama doing something on TV, or the like, I just kind of assume someone is trying to sell me something, like most of media.

I think there was a point when this level of media savvy was very good, for him and his constituents. But websites like that increasingly smell of desperation, the last resort of people who have reached their capacity for communication. And I'm not talking about Obama. I'm talking about the horde of 20 and 30 somethings he hired to media blitz the shit out of America for the last 8 years. What do you do when you have a big project, but you know you're going to be out of work in 9 months?

You phone it in, and put in a bunch of memes it took you 20 minutes to get off Google Image Search. Sort of like CNN's "Meme of the Day", where they actually pay someone to go on social media and find out what .gif people are knee jerk responding to today.

I mean, christ. YOLO is usually the last thing someone shouts before they do something incredibly fucking stupid. While I get the logic of trying to flip the meaning, I still feel an involuntary face palm coming on when it's on the website of my own goddamn government.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 02:14:12 am »

'meems', 'mems' or 'me-mes'?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 04:23:06 am »

'meems', 'mems' or 'me-mes'?

First. Etymologically, by analogy to 'genes'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 04:26:01 am »

Voted "epic" because meme-speak is about as discredited as that word.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 08:34:46 am »

Does polandball qualify as a meme?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 09:57:32 am »

I think communication is getting broken into more and more discrete packets.

For instance: Vine. A social media site consisting mostly of teens and 20-somethings posting looping 5-10 second video clips. This is the kind of site that gives me hives.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 11:05:10 am »

I think that there's nothing particularly valuable about using words to convey your meaning when an image macro does the job just fine. Most communication is shallow. Obviously this is an example of a context where meme density shouldn't be your priority, but being unsuitable for lots of contexts doesn't mean that these things are inherently bad. Doge is little more than "How's it going?" "Not bad, you?" If you're not entertaining anyone, yeah, you should definitely give it a rest, but if you are, where's the harm?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 11:23:46 am »

I think that there's nothing particularly valuable about using words to convey your meaning when an image macro does the job just fine. Most communication is shallow. Obviously this is an example of a context where meme density shouldn't be your priority, but being unsuitable for lots of contexts doesn't mean that these things are inherently bad. Doge is little more than "How's it going?" "Not bad, you?" If you're not entertaining anyone, yeah, you should definitely give it a rest, but if you are, where's the harm?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 11:39:17 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hey! :c

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 11:57:28 am »

I actually... don't see the harm? You could brush off my post as long-winded and irrelevant without a meme to go with it - but now it might be somewhat more amusing to some passer by.

Although that dude's either got one weirdly shaped skull, or he's designed his outfit to hold his hair up. Very unusual.

EDIT: And the macro's a bit easier for the reader, too. It communicates your meaning, implies that you view the conversation as a humorous diversion (since you're using a macro at all), and does it with a minimum of overhead since we already understand the meaning of the phrase, 'Cool story, bro'.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:59:44 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 12:53:27 pm »

The problem isn't information density. The problem is when humor (no matter how poor) constantly takes priority over an actual meaningful message. It proves how...selective the average internet goer's attention is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5