Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is your opinion on the increasing usage of memes as a form of primary communication?

- 3 (7.1%)
Upvote
- 21 (50%)
Epic
- 18 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Doge's poll; much memes, very #yoloswag, 3government5u  (Read 6274 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Doge's poll; much memes, very #yoloswag, 3government5u
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 01:03:51 pm »

If the conversation is earnest, the people probably won't be posting memes to join the conversation. Only to disrupt it. But if the people actually in the conversation care at all they mostly ignore the people posting disruptive messages - whether image macro or just text.

Maybe image macro conversations are a bit like donuts. It's great once in a while but if you do nothing but that you're gonna get hell of queasy.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 01:08:48 pm »

le reddit army has arrived XD

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 02:28:24 pm »

The problem isn't information density. The problem is when humor (no matter how poor) constantly takes priority over an actual meaningful message. It proves how...selective the average internet goer's attention is.
I agree, but people don't use memes for actual meaningful messages, so it's not a problem. People are gonna shitpost whether they've got memes or not.

le reddit army has arrived XD
Eh?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2014, 02:32:23 pm »

That was a PTW.

The problem isn't information density. The problem is when humor (no matter how poor) constantly takes priority over an actual meaningful message. It proves how...selective the average internet goer's attention is.
I agree, but people don't use memes for actual meaningful messages, so it's not a problem. People are gonna shitpost whether they've got memes or not.

20 seconds on reddit.com/r/adviceanimals led me to this:

http://i.memecaptain.com/gend_images/aGyvnw.jpg

That's a message that at least the poster thinks is meaningful.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2014, 02:38:44 pm »

If anything that's an anti-imagemacro. In the sense that an image macro generally says something pithy and pointless, that puffin is a reversal of the typical in saying something (hopefully) profound. Depending on context it could be shocking that the typical imagemacro meme style was reversed after seeing several standard imagemacro memes, or it could be shocking that an imagemacro meme was used at all during a text-only conversation already heavy with profundity.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2014, 02:40:21 pm »

The puffin is reserved for people to get lots of upvotes for saying something that is common knowledge and everyone agrees with but that triggers a "hey we're not bad people!" reaction so some dude can get imaginary internet points.

Yes, I hate the puffin.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2014, 02:50:17 pm »

If anything that's an anti-imagemacro. In the sense that an image macro generally says something pithy and pointless, that puffin is a reversal of the typical in saying something (hopefully) profound. Depending on context it could be shocking that the typical imagemacro meme style was reversed after seeing several standard imagemacro memes, or it could be shocking that an imagemacro meme was used at all during a text-only conversation already heavy with profundity.
Indeed, I agree with this entirely.  There are a few others like this that recontextualize memes.  One such common entry, in addition to the puffin, is to rewrite the meme in a more loquacious manner while preserving the original meaning, or else to create a snowclone of it by applying its template to a more "intelligent" manner (whether this is defined by knowledge, relevance, or some other fashion).  These, however, tend to rely on recognizing and understanding the original meme, as the humour largely derives from the dichotomy between its original irreverence and the particular derivation presented. 

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2014, 02:55:55 pm »

I don't really see the problem with the message of the macro Putnam linked, but it's presentation as a macro changes the context that its message is viewed in. The question is whether or not that new context is a bad thing. An image certainly grabs more attention than a couple sentences of plain text. Taking a look at the comments, it seems to have spawned some serious discourse, though the subject may have had something to do with that. It also brought out this little gem:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AdviceAnimals/comments/21bq9w/the_unpopular_opinion_that_made_me_hated_in_my/cgbmfve

All in all, I don't think the discussion would've been much different without the puffin.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 02:56:48 pm »

The puffin is reserved for people to get lots of upvotes for saying something that is common knowledge and everyone agrees with but that triggers a "hey we're not bad people!" reaction so some dude can get imaginary internet points.

Yes, I hate the puffin.

I hate impact-based image macros. Seriously, nothing has better fit the word "banal" than those.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 03:06:20 pm »

I hate impact-based image macros. Seriously, nothing has better fit the word "banal" than those.

Aren't most image macros impact-based? I might be thinking of (de/)motivationals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2014, 03:17:07 pm »

There are image macros that aren't advice-dog style.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2014, 03:40:49 pm »

There are image macros that aren't advice-dog style.

But even most of those are impact unless you re-define "image macro" in this context.

Spoiler: BRACE FOR IMPACT (click to show/hide)

The only other standard thing I can think of is the font images like this use.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2014, 03:50:28 pm »

I literally meant "image macros that happen to be images with impact text overlaid on the top and bottom".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2014, 04:34:13 pm »

You make a convincing argument! I'll have to revise my claim. People use image macros for one of two purposes - shallow, low-content communication that would not be meaningfully improved by purely text formatting, and subversion of the stereotype that all image macros are used for shallow, low-content communication. In the former case, nothing of value is lost, and in the latter case the existence of the format allows people to add depth to a message (which may be shallow or not, but either way that's the fault of the message, not the format).

Complaining about this reeks to me of the same bizarre pride as complaining about how bad people are getting at remembering things because of the invention of writing. Yes, people are going to be do stupid things with it, but all you're telling me, if that's the extent of the gripe, is that nothing has changed. I'll certainly grant that image macros will never have the same positive impact as the concept of written language, obviously, but until you get some relevant studies in demonstrating a negative impact on intelligence, I'm going to remain confident that they're about as harmful.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2014, 04:44:58 pm »

How likely is it that we'll see serious dissertations rendered entirely with a series of image macros? If the content were high quality and revolutionary, would a serious science journal be willing to publish it?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5