Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: Age of Wonders III - Patch 1.09 is Available  (Read 37806 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Wonders III - Patch 1.09 is Available
« Reply #315 on: February 08, 2015, 01:21:26 am »

The new expansion isn't out yet, but they've now revealed the two(?) races it will bring. Frostlings and Tigrans. Dev journals below:
Frostling stuff I
Frostling stuff II
Frostling stuff III
Tigrans part I

There's also some bits about the necromancer class and new specializations if you wish to dig into a bit more. All things considered I like what they're doing there.
But let's whine about the races, shall we?
Snowy goblin reskin may have been a boring theme for the frostlings back in AoW1-2, but I liked them. I'm happy they're bringing frostlings back but I can't say I'm fond of the redesign. Too humanlike for my tastes. I do like the matriarchal approach, but I suppose it would have been too much to ask for diminutive filthy barbarians from the north.
Tigrans on the other hand, I'm not sure. I never liked them in AoW2, but at least they're not humans and I do like what Triumph does with the visuals. Maybe they'll look nice, maybe they'll play nice.
I do wonder how much they'll step into Draconian toes with their "demihumans with fire motif" that seems to be going on.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 08, 2015, 03:29:10 am »

I'm fairly happy with what I've seen from both races, but I wasn't especially invested in any particular outcome there - I'm just happy to get more options.

It does look like Frostlings will still be 50% diminutive filthy barbarians from the north, I suppose part of the overall image will depend on which of the two sides of the race manifest in the models for class units - e.g. will Exalted be a snow goblin angel or a frost queen angel.

Tigrans certainly have a fair bit of overlap with Draconians thematically, both using an ancient real life culture for their theme and both utilising a fair bit of fire, but it sounds like they'll play somewhat differently (at least, as differently as races play in AoW3, which has improved somewhat since launch). 

I'm curious what the range on the Cheetahs' pounce ability will be and how far they can move before using it - they sound pretty brutal for a tier 1 unit as it is, but if they can pounce over city walls that'll give the race a significant advantage in the early game.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 08, 2015, 08:18:07 am »

Call me spoiled, but what was stopping the developers from, you know, having the usual 12 races in the original game?
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 08, 2015, 08:30:48 am »

I recall the reasoning being that the classes giving a larger variety of units within each race would both make up for it and use enough development time that they couldn't do so many races.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 08, 2015, 08:44:48 am »

:C no lizardmen yet. I've been waiting for lizardmen to show up again since AoW 1
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 08, 2015, 09:02:11 am »

Call me spoiled, but what was stopping the developers from, you know, having the usual 12 races in the original game?

Prior games had a bunch of races. Third one has races x classes. And while I do think that classes don't give as much variety as they could, that's still a bunch of art work that needs to be done when you consider that a bunch of class units come in all racial varieties. If they didn't have a class system, yeah I'd be harping too. But considering how much work goes into the class system I can forgive a smaller race pool.
They also (quite rightly if I say so) tidied up some redundancies, now there's just one elf and one human race and (theoretically) the variety comes from the classes available. Human Dreadnaught is akin to Humans from AoW2 while Human theocrat is closer to High Men, etc..

Also it was 15 races by the time Shadow Magic was done ;)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 08, 2015, 10:26:45 am »

:C no lizardmen yet. I've been waiting for lizardmen to show up again since AoW 1
The lizardmen (I guess they got renamed naga, but still) are in as a neutral race in Golden Realms.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 15, 2015, 03:31:31 am »

Bump to say that I played the Necro expansion yesterday and liked it.

Pros: The undead have a very different economy.
Your cities gain new inhabitants depending on how many units dies in your battles. (There are other methods as well).
Your undeads doesn't heal automatically.
You can have an effective burn captured cites to the ground (and raise them as goul towns).
All in all it's the first time for me, where it made strategic sense to play in a very, very evil way.

Cons: The core game is the same, so price tag is a bit high, - especially as all the minor tweaks to the game are included in the free (1.2 GB) update.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 15, 2015, 09:42:03 am »

There's same and there's "same". Personally I'm quite happy with the changelogs from 1.5 (expansion beta) onwards.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2015, 05:03:09 pm »

So I just recently was introduced to this game. I have to say I'm enjoying playing as a custom Goblin Necromancer.

GHOULS FOR THE GHOUL GOD! ZOMBIES FOR THE ZOMBIE THRONE! ALSO CUSHIONS FOR THE ZOMBIE THRONE, AND MAYBE SOME WAY TO STOP THEM SQUIRMING AROUND!

That and my custom dwarf juggernaut... but I find that musket squads are not very effective since they're so slow-firing. Maybe I'll make a cannibal Elf faction and try a serious stealth ranged dude.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2015, 05:16:53 pm »

They did nerf the muskets a bit a while ago, but they've always had a cooldown.

Have you used engineers? They can (or used to?) instantly reload muskets and other dreadnaught weapons. Of course, at that point you're diluting your stacks with otherwise nigh useless engineers, but against AI it can be good enough. And I do quite like the support/logistics aspect they bring. Anyway, I prefer to combo my muskets with goblins, since goblins are cheap and rubbish, which fits the idea of a massed gun blob.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 10, 2015, 12:54:45 am »

The engineers are one of the few ways you get Machine healing in the army as well, so they are rather sort of useful regardless.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 10, 2015, 01:15:33 am »

I find muskets fairly good - they're generally a lot more durable than other archers and their melee damage is ok.  And having all the damage of two turns loaded into a single shot makes them good for punching through the defenses of tougher enemies that would shrug off arrows etc. 

You do need to use a bit more consideration on when to take the shot than most units though i.e. never fire them with any penalties (line of sight, range) as the drop in damage isn't worth losing the opportunity to do a full damage flanking attack on a key unit next turn, and try to coordinate with other units' attacks so as not to waste a 30+ damage musket shot on a unit with 5hp left (although you have to balance that with the fact even near-dead enemies will do full damage).

I find engineers a lot more useful now that they have flashbang, and the blunderbuss can be devastating if the enemy kindly groups up their units.  Still horribly squishy for a unit with a point blank attack though (and I find the AI loves to target them even if I don't risk using blunderbuss).  I usually try to get an arcane forge to give my non-dreadnaught heroes a repair machine item asap so I can switch to something sturdier despite their newfound utility.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #328 on: August 24, 2015, 02:54:01 pm »

Who's interested in a PBEM game? I have time for at least one turn a day if everyone else can do that, plus more determined sessions on weekends.

Thread here.

I don't really have anything specific in mind other than selecting a very large world and slow game speed, with all the starting locations together in order to make for a hostile outer wilderness. We could do a Dwarf Fortress themed game or we could have freeform player selection. Anyway ideas/suggestions should go in the thread.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:26:22 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

pedrousz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 27, 2015, 05:28:00 pm »

So I download the gog version from piratebay to see if I would like the game. I FUCKING LOVED IT. So I bought at steam because discount, the game crashed so much (like every 10min, in the world map, when trying to enter battles, during battles, EVERYTIME) that I had to ask for a refund.

I'm thinking now about buying another game similar. What do you guys think about Fallen Enchantress? Sorcerer King? I heard a lot of awful things about Stardock and not much about Sorcerer King. Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23