Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: Age of Wonders III - Patch 1.09 is Available  (Read 37866 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Wonders III - Released!
« Reply #255 on: April 06, 2014, 12:44:43 am »

Hmm.. on second thought, I guess I was expecting AoW3 to be more like Wesnoth with a strategic map. Wesnoth pulled off many different varieties of units right and spoiled my expectations of fantasy TBS unit types.

The unique race units defined the races in AoW 1 and 2. The goblins were weaker, but had poison. Archons could vertigo, d. elves had life drain. My sister had a thing for life drain and web, so she picked out dark elves most the time. I liked ranged units, so I liked the normal elves for their starting Marksmanship. Or if I wanted to harrass my siblings and play at a handicap, I'd go goblins for the cave crawling and laughably bad low level units.

MoM had a somewhat different approach IIRC because it took a lot of effort to unlock certain units, even though many of them were the same.

Moving from AoW1 to AoW2 was a shock mostly because they dropped the 'dungeon crawl' style maps and replaced it with the same style of maps where everyone attacked a central position. More tactics, faster to go through, but dropped the atmosphere. AoW3 looks like it's going for a Total War style of tactics... more about positioning and using the environment rather than using different unit types.

I guess I'll just wait around for AoW3 to get an expansion and fall into the bargain bin. Will just play Wesnoth and Conquest of Elysium until then.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #256 on: April 06, 2014, 01:17:51 am »

The thing is that stuff like that is a part of the races. Goblins are weaker (-5hp), deal with poison (Elite swarm darters and big beetle riders have inflict severely poisoned), and use blight with a lot of attacks as well as being protected from it (40%). The problem is that while nice its not as obvious and the actual poison only comes at elite rank. Elves are still the best at ranged as well. They get +1 ranged strength (and +1 ranged shock for some reason?) as well as wherever they have a bow its a long bow which from how I understand it never suffers a range penalty. That is very big but like the goblin its hard to feel. Because they wanted balance they probably went too far. I think if you play it a lot you will feel it but it isn't something that you would get right away.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 06, 2014, 12:21:51 pm »

The thing is that stuff like that is a part of the races. Goblins are weaker (-5hp), deal with poison (Elite swarm darters and big beetle riders have inflict severely poisoned), and use blight with a lot of attacks as well as being protected from it (40%). The problem is that while nice its not as obvious and the actual poison only comes at elite rank. Elves are still the best at ranged as well. They get +1 ranged strength (and +1 ranged shock for some reason?) as well as wherever they have a bow its a long bow which from how I understand it never suffers a range penalty. That is very big but like the goblin its hard to feel. Because they wanted balance they probably went too far. I think if you play it a lot you will feel it but it isn't something that you would get right away.

Yeah, AoW3 might need some polish and honing, but it's not the Holy Grail dipped in chocolate and as I said earlier it was unrealistic to expect that. The prequels were also not Holy Grails either, and had flaws like any other game. And it's ultimately unfair to compare a game that just came out to those that have been continuously worked on for years on end (Wesnoth or Dominions) and to a lesser extent expanded predecessors (AoW2 Shadow Magic).

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 06, 2014, 12:33:05 pm »

I feel a bit torn on the racial differences. On one hand, they never were as big a deal as they could be in the previous games I felt, since most of the time they were still just reskins and slight restats. So it's not that different.

Though I do like how it makes minmaxing less of something you wanna try to do every time. Since it makes choosing race, class and spheres more preference than actual serious choices. And I actually like that.

But I also kinda wish there was more visible differences. And maybe some... Re-balances. Pretty much all the races are good and fun, but goblins got hit with the suck stick. -5 hp is a surprisingly huge drawback, and they don't get any real mutable benefits if you don't have an underground to go into. Some of their units at least seem to have taken a few points penalty in ways other races don't too, which is weird.

So I'm not really sure what I'd do with races if I was in charge. Maybe racial T4s and an extra T3 per race. And maybe another bonus or two each.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #259 on: April 06, 2014, 12:54:59 pm »

I actually like the goblin archer unit. While elves have better ability to shoot at long range the fact that the swarm darters ignore any terrain penalties besides completely blocking makes them good for sieging.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 06, 2014, 06:15:30 pm »

Goblins are only really good if there is a lot of blighted terrain around. I've had a quite powerful human army of mine perform horribly and desert due to everything being covered in blight.

While goblin blight damage is nice, some units (eldritch horror, for example) are completely immune to it, which takes away your whole advantage.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 08, 2014, 04:13:44 am »

The biggest crime is that there is no Goblin with a comedy sized bomb strapped to his back and I have a sneaking suspicion that decision was made by commitee to avoid controversy.  Because we have to be sensitive to the... modern short vertically challenged height diverse suicide bomber explosively extremist help me out here editor there's no politically correct terminology here the combustibly inclined demographic?

Also no nymphs.  Every race gets one of each class of unit, and the racial variants for each unit class are so marginal that they add close to zero tactical consideration.

The whole game feels too homogenized.
Anyone know about modding?  If the content is not locked down tight or they release tools the community will fix it right up I am sure.  There's nothing wrong here with the game, the engine, the mechanics, etc, its just a content problem that is easily addressed by the community.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:20:48 am by thepodger »

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 08, 2014, 04:41:36 am »

Also no nymphs.

they are in as fairy "special dwelling/town" unit ... i.e. in campaign mission 1.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 08, 2014, 09:43:33 am »

Every race gets one of each class of unit, and the racial variants for each unit class are so marginal that they add close to zero tactical consideration.

The whole game feels too homogenized.

Well yeah, that + other "problems"....I wasn't even playing the game for 2 days now.  :o I never thought that I will get bored with an AoW sequel so "extremely" fast, or that I will whine about it so much..ah well in DLCs/exp packs/mods we trust! Especially in mods, but again I am not sure that what can we be modded at all..
PS.
I find it funny that most of the "big" reviews are praising the game, except for that Gamespot review, which I ageed with totally...tbh I expected much more, not just some
generic fantasy TBS. We got tons from those already..
PPS. I would ask for a money back if it would be possible, considering that I surely won't touch the game for a long time...at this point I am not even sure that DLCs can "fix" anything, I guess they will add some races and that's it. Perhaps a decent TC mod is the only hope for those who are annoyed with the game.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 06:15:13 pm by gimli »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 08, 2014, 10:13:00 am »

Well I remember one Heros of Might and Magic game where while there was a lot of variety in the races anyhow, they all followed a very similar pattern (a certain tier of unit was always a 2x2 unit).

However an expansion came and in it they added another path for every unit of the game to follow.

As well as a new race that just smashed the game's convention over the knee (had no range for example).

---

Anyhow...

The Lack of variety in Age of Wonders 3 might be something that will be fixed with sequels as right now they were playing it very VERY safe.

and now that they got the security of a "balanced" game. They can try to make an "interesting" game next.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 08, 2014, 10:48:59 am »

The Lack of variety in Age of Wonders 3 might be something that will be fixed with sequels as right now they were playing it very VERY safe.

and now that they got the security of a "balanced" game. They can try to make an "interesting" game next.

It's funny, the core gameplay system + the basic idea of race/class combos looked extremely good "on paper". It had so many _fun_ possibilites, yet the v1.0 release feels dull and empty somehow.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:23:55 am by gimli »

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #266 on: April 08, 2014, 08:22:13 pm »

For those of you who want to be on the bleeding edge, maybe you just don't like the base game and want to see what direction its going, or you have the problem with higher resolutions and want the fix now here is a video by iHunterKiller showing how to play with the beta patches. Do note you can only play on the beta patches through steam. Also for those who want to start making your own maps and such here is a video for how to use the map editor by the same guy.

If you want to know the full extent of the beta patch as of this post here we go:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Wonders III - Beta Patch 1.08 Accessible Through Steam
« Reply #267 on: April 09, 2014, 04:50:44 am »

It makes me really sad that almost every TBS game going 3d nowadays. I am now spanking myself to spending money on this game, instead of Warlock 2, what a disastrous coinflip.
It's incredibly resource demanding, shallow and repetative.
I am not going into details, but I was replaying AOW:SM about two months ago, and trust me, it still much better game that this new sequel. So it's not rose tinted glasses case.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

nyulzsiraf

• Bay Watcher
  • Panic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 09, 2014, 08:48:12 am »

I am thinking to buy this game, but I expected better reviews :(

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:51 am »

For whatever it's worth, I'm at 74 hours logged and I'm still thoroughly enjoying it.  Not sure how to judge whether you'd be one of the players disappointed in the game or one of the ones enjoying it though (besides watching lots of gameplay videos or, ahem, trying before you buy).
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23