Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23

Author Topic: Age of Wonders III - Patch 1.09 is Available  (Read 37895 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Wonders III - Released!
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2014, 11:35:01 am »

Well, if SM wasn't so special and magical, which fantasy TBS was? [..I know MoM was, but what else?]
Also while we are at it, Worlds of Magic looks promising [soz for this little OT]: http://myworldsofmagic.com/

Don't get me wrong; games like MoM, AOW and HOMM3 (kings bounty, disciples and so on) are fantastic games which were great in their time, but the genre itself hasn't exactly been a very revolutionary one. Yes, you could say that with any genre, but turn based fantasy has been rather static, and I don't think any has stood out massively over others (except for MoM, being probably the first of it's type).

World of magic looks great (thanks for pointing it out!) but again, it looks incredibly similar to pretty much every other TBS in the last 5 years.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2014, 11:45:50 am »

Both dominions and conquest of Elysium are interesting takes on fantasy tbs. traditional fantasy tbs however? I can't recall a single one really standing out. How would you improve on the traditional tbs fantasy game?

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2014, 11:58:15 am »

Also since I'm out of the loop, is Warlock 2 a lot like the first one? Since I tried to pique my intrest in it some time ago by checking out some gameplay of the first game, but it struck me as a civ style game that also wanted to be like MoM/AoW so hard it did neither well.

Warlock 2 is going to be released in days, and the AI is horrible right now. Go read their forums, so I wouldn't bother buying it for a couple of weeks.

World of magic looks great (thanks for pointing it out!) but again, it looks incredibly similar to pretty much every other TBS in the last 5 years.

Yep, they are trying to create MoM 2014. :) I hope they will succeed. I will definitely buy it, since the dev team looks dedicated.

Both dominions and conquest of Elysium are interesting takes on fantasy tbs. traditional fantasy tbs however? I can't recall a single one really standing out. How would you improve on the traditional tbs fantasy game?

That is a good question. I guess it's all about brainstorming new ideas and gameplay features, such as AoW 3.'s class system. I also like FE's unit design system for example. So features like these is what makes a game sorta unique/original. Now imagine if one game would have much more "unique" features like these. [Even tho probably this class system or the unit design was used in some old games as well I guess?]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:06:32 pm by gimli »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2014, 12:03:11 pm »

The issue is that there is no "traditional turn based fantasy game" because turn based is rather wide in scope.

I'd consider Fantasy General to be significantly different than Master of Magic.

It isn't like Military FPS where you could interchange them and people might not notice the difference... or Point and Clicks which have the same general idea.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:06:00 pm by Neonivek »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2014, 12:06:19 pm »

Warlock 2 is going to be released in days, and the AI is horrible right now. Go read their forums, so I wouldn't bother buying it for a couple of weeks.

I'm likely not gonna bother anyway, assuming they still have civ style combat. One of the major reasons I like MoO2 and AoW is because of the tactical combat mixed in with the strategic sections.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2014, 12:07:18 pm »

I'm likely not gonna bother anyway, assuming they still have civ style combat. One of the major reasons I like MoO2 and AoW is because of the tactical combat mixed in with the strategic sections.

Yep it's still civ style.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2014, 12:31:19 pm »

@predictability:
I disagree.

You could take on an early Chaos Lord with a full stack of low tier units if you knew what you were doing, but victory was far from certain. It would have been a lot easier to take those out if you had flanking and 100% hitchance like in the current game.
Tier 1 units like the Black Spider could turn the tides of battles by taking out much more dangerous units.
The tier 0 Draconian Hatchling could be quite dangerous and I managed to take out a Beholder with one of those together with a decoy.

There were so many units, wíth so many interesting and diverse traits, so a lot of the game was actually quite unpredictable.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 12:33:08 pm by Mindmaker »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2014, 12:35:38 pm »

I always thought warlocks civ style combat could have been a hell of a lot more interesting with a few options. Endless space's rock paper scissors based approach was pretty interesting (especially with the expansions) and I can imagine other similar styles that would have increased my enjoyment no end.

@predictability,
yeah, if you were really talented you might be able to shift the tides slightly using lower than average units, but I never found many battles 'hard fought' - I was either going to lose or going to win most of the time. That's kinda fine, but I prefer to have more tactics in my tactical turn based.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2014, 03:09:46 pm »

I wanted to save and clicked surrender instead.
Without a confirmation prompt I declared defeat and my last save was 20 turns ago (autosave apparently brought me back to the "your lose" status).

Why?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2014, 03:59:27 pm »

It doesn't have a confirmation option? Okay that's a bit strange. Makes me glad I use a touchpad, makes me really, really mindful about my cursor location.

Well the first patch is gonna have a quicksave button, so that might lessen some pain.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2014, 04:27:55 pm »

So I'm downloading my copy now, I liked AOW2 but AOW1 actually had a good story and character development. Hoping it harkens to that AOW instead of AOW2, which, while good, is a bit more combat oriented.

Despite this, AOW2 and AOW1 still get regular replays from me because they are solid games, and in the case of AOW1, very, very long.

Excitement. Much wow. Fucking finish downloading already.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2014, 05:39:08 pm »

Apparently killing an Archon Titan during a quest is considered "very easy".
Fuck you game, he onehit two of my units.

Any race-mixing penalties in the newest game?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2014, 05:41:58 pm »

The only penalty comes from "good" and "evil".

If your unit is naturally inclined to evil and you're good, they get a morale debuff. If the morale debuff is too low they'll desert.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2014, 05:48:35 pm »

Apparently killing an Archon Titan during a quest is considered "very easy".
Fuck you game, he onehit two of my units.

Any race-mixing penalties in the newest game?
Generally, a lone Tier 4 is more or less, not too much of a challenge for an army of 6. Could have been worse definitely, as I had that horror thing pop up as a quest, which it then dominated my stone giant. Had to take the bastard out as I was under fire from his attacks and the stone giant was tossing boulders at the rest of my army. But yeah, lone Tier 4? About 3 musketeers and a hero will drop them before they do any damage if you're paying attention to their abilities.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2014, 06:08:27 pm »

Well he's huge, hits hard, has lots of hp and good defense.
Didn't help that I had to fight him in a forest, where terrain made proper flanking, abuse impossible.

And yes, he onehit my leader.

@umiman:
Thanks, I'll guess I have to keep an eye on my Draconians and Dwarfs as High Elf.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 23