Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Age of Wonders III - Patch 1.09 is Available  (Read 37870 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Age of Wonders III - Coming Out March 31
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 03:51:27 pm »

all this early access / preorder / whatever nonesense makes me buy less and less games.
here we have another game i wont buy because im stuck betwen:

a: i did not want to preorder
and
b: i do not want to buy a game that is missing content because i did not buy it before it even was made.

i could accept a higher price if i did not preorder. i wont accept less content - that just doesnt feel right to me.
i think this preorder / ealy access modell has spread like cancer, and i hate it.
anyone else feeling the same?
   Yes for the most part. The thing is I can say for certain more people like it or don't care then don't like to the extent you do. Also there is a difference between preorder gifts. What this gives you at the most expensive end is two more scenarios and the soundtrack. What really grinds me is the preorders where you get things like whole new characters or something game affecting like that. Sure its sad you don't have the scenarios to play but you get all the other stuff that is there plus it is not like those are the only scenarios with the game. To be honest this is the first game ever that I am preordering. I take TotalBiscuits stance on it hurting the game market overall but that can't be helped because people still buy into it.
   Once we get into early access is when things get tricky. Betas and Alphas have always been a thing and always will be. The biggest problem now is companies are trying to get more sales by letting people in early with these monikers attached to their game so if people complain they can use it like a shield. Now I would have as much of a problem with this if they where real betas like the Age of Wonders 3 beta is. What the bigger companies are doing isn't that but just a lot of marketing by letting people play around in a basically complete game where nothing they say can change the game. The point of a dang beta in the first place is supposed to be to find stuff that doesn't work right, is unbalanced, or just plain bugged. If as a beta player you can't point out something that is wrong and once collaborated get it fixed means it wasn't a beta in the first place. It really steams me that they get away with this and Steam even setup a special thing for them. Don't make it legitimate. Either they are beta testing and shouldn't be accepting money yet or its a released game and should be judged as such.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 04:03:34 pm »

The thing about this game's pre-order bonus is that it's a single scenario (the other one is part of the deluxe edition. No idea if you'll be still able to buy that one after release, but considering it has it's own page on GoG, I'd assume so). Now while yes, you do miss on that scenario, you still have the random map generator and the map editor, so you have unlimited maps to play on. A bad pre-order bonus is something like which Bioware loves doing, taking whole companions from their RPGs.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 08:28:22 am »

i guess its true that it depends on the bonus.
i think i just reached a point where i dont even check anymore what it is.

as for being able to influence a game during beta, there never has been such an influence. once a game reaches beta, its feature complete, and all there is left to do is squishing bugs.
but yeah, i too think this gets abused a lot. sell it as early acess beta, and magically, you can sell borderline working games where its even bad style to complain because its beta.

again im not saying this is what happens with this game.
this game is just another game i dont bother to buy because i have to decide what to spend my time on anyway, and if i see beta early access + bonus, i just assume id get srewed anyhow.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 12:36:14 pm »

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 12:48:55 pm »

It is definitely worth the watch as it not only shows the warlord but an interesting terraforming spell, Item creation, and some other stuff. I definitely think it was worth the wait.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 03:16:33 pm »

Okay, got the ETA on when is is supposed to be released on monday time wise:
BIG DISCLAIMER!

Valve and GoG are the only ones who can push the button to release the game! Triumph has no direct control here! This time is NOT guaranteed, so please don’t shout at us if it turns out not to be correct!

BIG DISCLAIMER!

It should be at 9am-10am PST, on both Steam and GoG.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 07:53:39 am »

Okay, any of you who want to check out what the specializations all do for you check out iHunterKiller's channel because he just dumped a whole lot of videos going over each of them. Find his channel here

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 10:02:36 am »

I am a bit astonished by the lack of dropped features that tend to make their way into games like these. ("Whelp we are in modern times. We need to put in as much graphics as possible and make it easy enough for the dummies to play. Lets cut features left and right, simplify the gameplay, and remove basically the soul of the original")

I mean SURE there are a lot less races, a lot less variety within the races, and the building tree has been severely cut short...

But the features are still there and some of the streamlined aspects are genuine improvements. Though I am still not a fan of the "Classes" for the leader.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:06:30 am by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 10:15:46 am »

Warlord class video released

Okay I'm hyped.  I was just singing the praises of Master of Magic and AoW 2 yesterday, I didn't even know about this!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 10:20:05 am »

Warlord class video released

Okay I'm hyped.  I was just singing the praises of Master of Magic and AoW 2 yesterday, I didn't even know about this!

Well the Warlord class should be a bit more obvious given he is clearly based off of a Master of Magic character.  ;D

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 10:25:13 am »

I've actually for the first time managed to get into age of wonders shadow magic for the first time because this game coming out has inspired me to work past the advanced age of the thing. And I gota say, I disagree. From what I have seen, honestly  most of the races don't seem that different. You have weak spear dude. Weak archer. Medium Melee unit. Unit with some sorta trick but in reality it's probably just a stronger archer with a elemental attack. Calvary. Heavy unit (which mostly seems different between races in how many movement points it has)

Sure, that's not to say there are not different races, like the shadow demons, but a lot of races fall under this and or have some very minor differences. (In particular I was very disappointed when I started a game as undead and saw I had morale in my city. They are all my mindless servants, why would they have any type of morale?) The fewer races is in my mind, if not a good thing, at least a sign that hopefully more work has gone into each one individually. I dunno how much of that is true... I guess we will see over the next week. My real hope is that they keep it different with expansions and DLC. The idea of a undead DLC with actually different mechanics is probably the only DLC (non existent or not) I've ever looked forward to.

But you know what? If you want cosmetic differences that probably don't mean anything, I would think the fact that the class system covers units will help you with that. Six Classes x Six Races equals 36 'races', more then the old games had.

As for buildings, I just gota disagree. In the old game you had a very limited building selection. This game actually looks to me like it has way more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 10:27:06 am »

If you took the 5 most unique races and compared them against the 5 most unique races in this game... You are going to notice a difference.

If you cut down the races significantly and somehow end up with a race that is "This race except they cost more but have two stats that are higher"... then...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:28:58 am by Neonivek »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 10:27:59 am »

Since all the classes have a large amount of variance if you count those in along with the races I doubt it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 10:30:11 am »

Since all the classes have a large amount of variance if you count those in along with the races I doubt it.

Those Classes replace the magic specialty and several race aspects.

It is actually why I don't like the classes. It felt like classes for the sake of having classes. As silly as that sounds.

And the classes are a collection of unique spells, unique units, One ultimate spell, and one city enchantment.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:32:20 am by Neonivek »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2014, 10:32:45 am »

Those Classes replace the magic specialty

They only partially do, in the sense that they have spells tied to them and take up part of your specialization spots. You still have magic specialization. I'd argue that their effect on the game more then makes up for their part in the magic specialization.

Specifically we are talking about how they interact with units, which is separate from how they interact with spells.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:36:37 am by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23