Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Age of Wonders III - Patch 1.09 is Available  (Read 37905 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Wonders III - Released!
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2014, 04:45:00 pm »

Your main character does seem to be your best combat unit. Levels up like a regular hero, but also can revive itself. That's a very nice change from "guy who sits in tower all game".

Combat is really brutal, though. Units die quickly, making things quite unforgiving.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2014, 04:48:54 pm »

I think that may be an effect of "everything hits, but does varying degrees of damage".
I don't like that very much.

I think I might play around a bit more, but then wait for a couple of patches.
The way it makes my cooler behave ain't normal.

Edit:
Did the switch mouse controls from the predecessors? I'm constantly sending units to where I don't want them.
Would be nice if they'd ask for the confirmation of a move order.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:58:43 pm by Mindmaker »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2014, 06:02:18 pm »

I'm a little disappointed in the combat mechanics. I like Warlock 2 better, I've been playing the beta. This surprises me, since I found Warlock I to be tedious and really liked previous AoWs. Oh well, maybe my opinion changes with patches and whatnot.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2014, 06:04:47 pm »

I played 40 turns of a random map with an Orc Dreadnought.  It actually felt like way more turns than that, I think because I have such a lot to do each turn - which is kind of refreshing in a TBS as a lot of these games I end with a lot of "filler" turns where I'm just moving or waiting for things to build.

Anyway, the random map part is looking fairly nice, there's obvious clusters of resources that'd make good city sites, but also some that are just out on their own.  The change from one climate to another can be kind of abrupt, but generally terrain seems relatively consistent - mountain ranges, rivers, and so forth, including natural passes through the mountains which is a nice touch.  I've got the underground turned on, but after exploring 2/3 of the map have yet to find an entrance to it, which is a departure from most of the preview videos I watched where they seemed fairly common.  I'm not really sure what else to say about it - what people are looking for - other than I'm pretty happy with the way it's turned out.

On the AI, it's kinda derpy.  It does some things quite well - it's certainly expanding its empire effectively, and it does very well at exploiting flanking in the tactical combat.  But it's also a little prone to leaving things undefended (possibly over-extending as it land-grabs); in fairness, so am I, but at least I know what I'm letting myself in for when I do that.  Although the AI I'm at war with does have close to 3 full stacks defending their leader and throne city, while the one leaving it undefended is at peace, so maybe it's just quite trusting.  In tactical combat the main AI issues I'm seeing is it's a bit too keen to leave the safety of its city walls.  It's supposed to make an assessment of your ranged strength vs its ranged strength and if it's massively outgunned then hey, may as well charge you, but I think that threshold needs tweaked a bit as there were times that I would definitely have stayed behind the walls and it came running out.  Or it ran out with cavalry units *and* ranged, when just the cavalry might have been more effective (tie us up while the ranged guys shoot from relative safety).  The other issue is that it's all about damage all of the time - it doesn't prioritise keeping units safe much, and will happily suffer attacks of opportunity just to deal a bit more damage to you.

If they fixed those two issues, eh, it'd still not be anything special, but it'd probably be roughly comparable with the competition (some of which admittedly set a very low bar indeed - I'm looking at you Warlock).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:06:25 pm by Biowraith »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2014, 06:24:56 pm »

AoW3 bugs out a little at resolutions over 1080p.  The devs have promised a fix ASAP and provided a workaround for the meantime.

I'm having some similar graphical glitches, probably related to the oldness of my laptop, hopefully the patch will fix it.

EDIT: For some reason, the game runs (with graphical problems) when textures are set to high or ultra, but it crashes when textures are set to medium or low. Is anybody else getting a similar problem?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:31:20 pm by ed boy »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2014, 10:33:15 pm »

So it took the hard mode AI in the first campaign about 3 and a half hours to beat me. I knew it wasn't going good between the second and third hour then when I got to the point where I was just passing turns I knew I was doomed but since I was recording I kept going. I already have the first video uploaded but I think I will doing some stuff with it so once I have them all up if someone wants to watch I will post a link to the playlist.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2014, 11:50:17 pm »

I played about 8 hours of this.

The AI is probably the biggest problem with it. It's pretty good for the most part, except you know... the complete lack of challenge. I haven't had a chance to try out the hardest difficulty yet though, so who knows. I played on the second hardest one, and I spent the first 3 hours wondering where all my enemies were. Then I found one, and by one I mean an undefended city. He then immediately declared war on me, so I walked into his city and captured it no fuss. Then I walked off. A few turns later he shows up with two scouting units. The city is still undefended, as I couldn't be bothered defending it. He walks up to it. Walks a few circles around it. Then he wanders off, leaving the undefended city in my hands.

So yeah, that's the caliber of the AI.

Also, this game seems to be really, really bad for large maps. It feels like it wants you to play on the small maps. Most because the empire building in this is quite atrociously done. It's hard to explain why, but it feels completely wrong. This might also be because of the craptastic AI.

On small maps it's quite intense though. Because the AI can't fuck up managing his empire, he will spend more time actually being a threat.

I'd say it's okay. Not sure if it's worth $40, but maybe $20.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2014, 11:58:33 pm »

Huh, they must have changed something because from what I have seen of preview LPs the AI spread like wildfire. They might have tried toning it back for release and did too much. Also how many enemies did you have on the map? The large map is suggested for 6 to 8 and iHunterKiller said in his one video that if you don't have at least 5 you basically won't meet anyone else and I trust his opinion on this.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:00:09 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 01, 2014, 12:44:17 am »

I'mma just watch here.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2014, 08:38:46 am »

Perhaps I am getting old or hell knows, but this game is a disappointment for me. I don't have the good old 1 more turn feeling what I had back in the AoW 2 - SM days.... ::)
This just feels like another generic fantasy TBS, nothing "special". I am not sure that the patches or DLCs will be able to improve the game that much. Some new races or classes won't make this game much better generally, so I am not sure what the devs have in mind for the next year.... and I saw on other forums, that many people are on the same opinion..This won't be a "classic" like MoM or AoW 2. - SM was. It's a shame..
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:56:12 am by gimli »

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2014, 09:55:30 am »

Hmmm. One positive post about the game, several negative.

Disappointing, but I'm short on cash and have a ton of work to do anyway, so maybe it's for the best.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2014, 10:44:13 am »

Disappointing, but I'm short on cash and have a ton of work to do anyway, so maybe it's for the best.
It's probably a good game for anyone new to the series, but not so much for long time fans.
I mean I can see myself to play it for a hundred hours to get my moneys worth, but it won't become my all time favourite like the previous games.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2014, 11:12:54 am »

It's probably a good game for anyone new to the series, but not so much for long time fans.
I mean I can see myself to play it for a hundred hours to get my moneys worth, but it won't become my all time favourite like the previous games.

Indeed, the game is not bad, but it feels dull/average/you've got the idea compared to the classics, so it's a big let down for longtime fans. If I would have to play around with ratings, I would give AoW 2. 8/10, AoW 2. - SM 9/10, and 6/10 for AoW 3.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:14:58 am by gimli »

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 01, 2014, 11:16:44 am »

Which would probably place it above the likes of Fallen Enchantress or Warlock (although that plays too much of a shallow Civ-like), but still not all that great.

I don't think I'll ever get used to how awkward the combat feels. The lack of confirmation for movement orders is giving me a headache as well.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2014, 12:25:34 pm »

Which would probably place it above the likes of Fallen Enchantress or Warlock (although that plays too much of a shallow Civ-like), but still not all that great.

Well yes, but not much better sadly. [Btw I enjoyed the latest version of FE:LH, Stardock is really trying to fix the game in every possible way..] Like I've said it's another generic fantasy TBS. I surely wouldn't buy the game today in it's current state. IMHO longtime AoW fans should try to wait for a couple of months for DLCs [..those MIGHT improve the game, we shall see] and/or for a 50% off sale before purchasing.
..and while we are at it, the old "business" model was better for players. IE...when demos were released before the game hit the stores.  ::) ..but yeah, we live in the world of "let's make profit in every possible ungodly way".  :o
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:28:20 pm by gimli »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23