Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLVI: Unicorn - Game Over! - Scum Win!  (Read 41128 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVI: Unicorn - Day 1 - Forest Morning
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2014, 10:00:28 pm »

NAV
So you're admitting that you asked me a bad question that couldn't be answered, then answered what basically amounted to the same question towards you, stating it as such, but you neither unvote, nor follow up with further questions, admitting that you're acting scummy, and trying to defend yourself saying that it's simply because you're new, and you forgot you joined?

If it weren't the fact that this is your very first game, I'd be voting you for all that, but let's just go with that.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2014, 10:56:02 pm »

Painiac is replacing in for 4maskwolf
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2014, 02:54:34 pm »

Hiho there!

Well, gotta dig in. I won't be able to post anything sensible today, I think.

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2014, 03:48:42 pm »

Okay... I am still being voted when I did replaced 4maskwolf, mod?

Duh. I don't really mind votes, but these sit on me, currently, for no reason. And that's a no-no. Ask me something.

MastahCheese, how different is modus operandi of doctor from M.O. of scum? In your opinion?
MyOwnWorstEnemy, what would you do as miller townie?
NAV, if there would be zero night phase, and if you could off someone - would you do it?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2014, 05:37:53 pm »

Sorry for low activity, been a pretty busy day for me and mostly been confined to posting on phone, which often takes longer.

Often on Day 1 there is so little information to go on that there doesn't seem a compelling reason to vote anyone. Lynching the least engaged/active players is seen by some as a good tactical move but that's not considered very sporting for a BM.

I'll get to questions when I'm more awake/have a computer.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2014, 07:52:50 pm »

Okay... I am still being voted when I did replaced 4maskwolf, mod?

Duh. I don't really mind votes, but these sit on me, currently, for no reason. And that's a no-no. Ask me something.

MastahCheese, how different is modus operandi of doctor from M.O. of scum? In your opinion?
Hmm, so you say that it's a "no-no" for a vote to sit on you for no reason, then vote me, providing no reason?
Interesting.
If I were to vote you, would that make you upset? If someone else were to, how would you feel?

*Looks up the meaning of modus operandi*
Well, scum is trying to murder people, and doctors are trying to prevent that.
I'll go ahead and change "doctor" to "jailer" since that's a role we can actually have here.

I think that it would be rather different, since the scum are probably going to kill someone who's death would be the most beneficial, in whatever way would do so, and so a jailer would have to try to anticipate that, and attempt to jail the person that scum would most likely target, but that isn't exactly easy, when you don't know who the scum is, and different scum would prioritize different kills. With scum, you're only thinking about who would be best to get rid of, with a jailer, you have to think about who would be the most beneficial for scum to get rid of, for each person that might possibly be scum, there's a lot more thinking involved. Unless there's only one scum left, in which case you can also attempt to jail whoever you think might be the scum.

There was a question of mine for 4mask that he never answered.
MyOwnWorstEnemy, 4maskwolf, Persus13, notquitethere
Would you all be kind enough to provide your reads?
That goes for you too, NQT, this is the second time I've reminded you.
The Derail Thread

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2014, 08:55:48 pm »

Ok. My votes still on you, so here's a question -

How many mafia games have you played in? Do you think more experienced players have an advantage here in BM? Not only from experience, mind you, but also from the fact that many inexperienced players look up to more experienced ones, and are therefore less likely to press their case, or make accidental fallacies that the more experienced player could exploit. Whats your take on this?
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2014, 09:36:42 pm »

How many mafia games have you played in? Do you think more experienced players have an advantage here in BM? Not only from experience, mind you, but also from the fact that many inexperienced players look up to more experienced ones, and are therefore less likely to press their case, or make accidental fallacies that the more experienced player could exploit. Whats your take on this?
I was going to ask you something similar, but WHitius seems to have it covered.

Anyone not an IC: How do you plan on hunting ICs?

NQT: How well do you think your vote matrix will work in a Beginner's game?

Reads: Currently, all my reads are null reads. I want to fix this soon, but doubt I will be until D2 unless things go down.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2014, 09:43:32 pm »

Anyone not an IC: How do you plan on hunting ICs?
The same way I hunt everyone else, stubborn tunneling.
The Derail Thread

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2014, 10:30:08 pm »

Hmm, so you say that it's a "no-no" for a vote to sit on you for no reason, then vote me, providing no reason?
Interesting.
If I were to vote you, would that make you upset? If someone else were to, how would you feel?
Your vote had no reason, because it was pointed at 4mask. I am not 4mask. You might ask me something different.

When I voted on you, I had valid reason: to make you talk.

While it is RVS, votes doesn't really have any deep meaning at the time being. Nothing to care about, frankly. Later, it would depend. For example; If I would think you are townie, and you are trying to sneak in vote with lame argument, I would get mad. Nothing gets me more than townie with lame bandwagon - he doesn't think for himself.

There was a question of mine for 4mask that he never answered.
MyOwnWorstEnemy, 4maskwolf, Persus13, notquitethere
Would you all be kind enough to provide your reads?
For now? Don't have anything serious. I still need to ask my own questions, to get my own impression on people. And I need sum time to reread topic properly.

It's hard to say. I played here about 3 games, which all of them went horrible, more or less. While in my native language, I am pretty succesful MG, and a player to some excent. People tend to treat me like people treat Jim Groovester here.

And I think I failed those 3 times because of: language blockage (imma not native), and falling from a big horse. Badly.

Do experienced players have advantage? It's hard to say, mafia it's still game where you win with team. One good player might not change anything, when whole mob decides for some warped reason to lynch him. It helps to some extend, yes. But if you are too experienced, scum team really, really wants to off you. I kinda am accustomed to live only for one day or two, before scum team offs me. C'est la vie.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2014, 10:35:33 pm »

Interesting.
Your vote had no reason, because it was pointed at 4mask. I am not 4mask. You might ask me something different.
Check again, I haven't voted. What makes you think I did?
And way to dodge my question.
The Derail Thread

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2014, 01:44:53 am »

Votecount Day 1

(0) Pufferfish -
(0) TheDarkStar
(2) MastahCheese - NAV, Painiac
(1) MyOwnWorstEnemy - Persus13
(3) Paniac - Pufferfish, WhitiusOpus, MyOwnWorstEnemy
(1) NAV - notquitethere
(1) WhitiusOpus - TheDarkStar
(0) Persus13
(0) notquitethere

Not Voting: mastahcheese

0/3 to extend
0/5 to shorten

Day 1 will end Wednesday April 2nd at 9 PM PST.

Day ends in ~9 hours.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2014, 06:22:32 am »

MOWE
NQT:
Uh... assume you're the jailkeeper, what key factors play a part in who you choose to protect? Would you rather protect someone you view as a prominent town player or jail someone you believe is scum?
If I was pretty sure I knew who the scum would pick to kill (such as someone that broke a tie that lynched scum), I'd jail the player that the scum would most likely kill. But if, by their behaviour or a cop claim or somesuch, I knew who a scum player was, I'd jail them.

NAV, it's near the end of the day. Would you like to see Mastahcheese lynched?

Mafia can be a bit overwhelming at first. Try not to get too stressed. If you're ever wondering what to do, it's often useful to ask people why they did or said about something, or how they feel about the state of play.

Persus
NQT: How well do you think your vote matrix will work in a Beginner's game?
It'll still be useful, though most people on day one will have no real information and so their votes shouldn't be taken with too much weight. Do you think we should be lynching MOWE?

Cheese I don't have any coherent reads right now. I mostly get information in light of flips. But I am also aware that players having a a matrix of reads to work off is very useful for spotting teams and cumulative suspicions. As such:

4maskwolf/Painiac - My Wolf meta read is that he's more competent when he's playing scum, as such a vague town read here. Not got a solid handle on his replacement.
mastahcheese  - Hasn't voted at all, but pressing others for reads. Mild scum read.
TheDarkStar - Hasn't posted in ages, not really done much. Pretty usual for DarkStar. Null.
WhitiusOpus - Seems fairl competent and engaged. Mild town read but it's all a bit early to say
Persus13  - Hasn't done much yet. Null.
MyOwnWorstEnemy - Seems about usual for MOWE. All invites a closer read after the flips
Pufferfish - Low activity, slightly tunnely. Mild scum read.
NAV - No real content but that's not a surprise. Understandably inexperienced. I'd like to see more from them. Null.

Still bit short of time, but I'll be sure to be about to break any ties at the end of the day.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2014, 08:14:22 am »

Extend

Let's not lynch the guy who just joined the game please.

Looking back through the thread, I think NAV is the scummiest player because of how he tried to defend accusations of being scummy. He seemed to do it as if he was scum player instead of a town player.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2014, 09:53:19 am »

I agree. It doesn't seem quite fair to lynch a player who joined so late.
Quote from: WhitiusOpus
TDS: So you might possibly be scum, and have been scum in a previous game. Who would be in your ideal scum team, for this?
Unvote

TheDarkStar: I would like you to be more engaged in the game. Please start being more active, and answer this question. I've bolded the more important piece.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23