Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLVI: Unicorn - Game Over! - Scum Win!  (Read 41152 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVI: Unicorn - Day 1 - Forest Morning
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2014, 08:18:57 pm »

Alright, I'll give you something to answer.

4Mask: Your vote is obviously an RVS pressure vote, but your question doesn't dig at much. Scum.

If you were jailkeep and tomorrow would be LyLo, who out of this group would you jail, assuming no other information?
I'm getting ganged up on in RVS  ::)
If he was still alive, TDS, because he shouldn't be alive that long :P

Comment on the bolded part? You didn't defend yourself from this, but rather pointed out all the RVS votes on you.
Hmm.

Pufferfish
You took your RVS vote off of 4mask after he pointed out all the RVS votes on him, and after NQT asked if you were happy with his response, even though there was still more from your original post to him that could have been questioned.
Upon closer inspection, it seems you took your vote of off him once just a little bit of pressure was applied. Are you trying to stay on people's good sides?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2014, 08:33:08 pm »

Hi cheese.

Sane 4maskwolf was out that day.  He is back now, at least temporarily.

MY questions usually don't dig until day 2, when I start running through all of the possibilities through my head.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2014, 12:40:39 am »

Alright, I'll give you something to answer.

4Mask: Your vote is obviously an RVS pressure vote, but your question doesn't dig at much. Scum.

If you were jailkeep and tomorrow would be LyLo, who out of this group would you jail, assuming no other information?
I'm getting ganged up on in RVS  ::)
If he was still alive, TDS, because he shouldn't be alive that long :P

Comment on the bolded part? You didn't defend yourself from this, but rather pointed out all the RVS votes on you.
Hmm.

Pufferfish
You took your RVS vote off of 4mask after he pointed out all the RVS votes on him, and after NQT asked if you were happy with his response, even though there was still more from your original post to him that could have been questioned.
Upon closer inspection, it seems you took your vote of off him once just a little bit of pressure was applied. Are you trying to stay on people's good sides?

Votecount Day 1

(1) Pufferfish - 4maskwolf
(0) TheDarkStar
(2) MastahCheese - NAV, WhitiusOpus
(0) MyOwnWorstEnemy - Persus13
(1) 4maskwolf - Pufferfish
(1) NAV - notquitethere
(1) WhitiusOpus - TheDarkStar
(0) Persus13
(0) notquitethere

Not Voting: mastahcheese, MyOwnWorstEnemy

0/3 to extend
0/5 to shorten

Day 1 will end Monday March 31st at 9 PM PST.

Vote's still on him bruh. I'm not trying to be on anyone's good sides.

4Mask: Mastah Cheese is right. Please answer my question legitimately.

pufferfish: Let's say it's later in the game, it's LyLo, and one person continues to make mistakes. Subtle ones, but scumtells all the same. But, the other players seemed to have not picked up on them, and another player seems to be attempting to cover this other player's mistakes as best as possible. Do you think they're both scum? How would you try and convince the other players?

Depends on if a scum's been lynched. Assuming not.

In that case, I'd dig into the past days, the early ones, when no-one was trying to cover up other people's mistakes so much. Look for tells back there during a listing of scum.

S'how Mastah was able to get my vote to lynch you in terminator mafia; There was a scumlist in D1 from EHF that pointed to you "being clean" and "not really scummy" and that sealed the deal for me.

I'd look for that from both sides.

If there -was- a mafioso hanging from the branches, I'd again be digging back into the past to check out what happened. Except it'd be looking at the lynched against the two players who are appearing to buddy up.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2014, 05:52:44 am »

Wolf
I dunno.  You figure out if I'm scum.  You really think I would tell you if I was?  Well, I would assume my day game would be different, wouldn't you?
So you're saying that if your day game is the same as I've seen it when you've been scum, then you're probably scum? Can I hold you to that?

DarkStar
Maybe I should have refined my question a bit more.
Well we're not in a hurry here. Go ahead and refine your question.

MOWE
Any IC advice for me in that regard? Because I realize that that's something I should be doing, but I just don't know how to go about it.

Basically, the established Bay12 mafia sub-forum way of starting Day 1 is to ask hypothetical questions. I'm pretty sure scum are never caught this way, but it does start the day off with some content. On other sites they do things differently: in some the game is started with a night, and so one player doesn't get to play but there are inspection results etc. right from the off. In others, they just make random accusations, and then start accusing one another of sheeping and bandwagoning. This can be a bit silly but it probably catches more scum in the long run. If you do ask questions at the beginning of the game, try to make them do some work for you: find out how competent and serious your fellow players are. Get an understanding of their character.

With all that in mind, ask me an RVS-style question or cast an accusation.

Cheese
I keep mental notes, but I don't record anything like you do.
Uh huh, and what's your track record on successfully lynching scum?

Pufferfish
Did you answer my question about TheDarkStar?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2014, 06:21:22 am »

MOWE
Any IC advice for me in that regard? Because I realize that that's something I should be doing, but I just don't know how to go about it.

Basically, the established Bay12 mafia sub-forum way of starting Day 1 is to ask hypothetical questions. I'm pretty sure scum are never caught this way, but it does start the day off with some content.
THIS IS A LIE.

In others, they just make random accusations, and then start accusing one another of sheeping and bandwagoning. This can be a bit silly but it probably catches more scum in the long run.
THIS ENFORCES PEOPLE NOT THINKING.
ALSO IT DOESN'T.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2014, 08:00:47 am »

Spoiler: Tiruin's View (click to show/hide)
As can be seen, there are legitimate differences of opinion on the efficacy of different ways to start a game. The important thing to ask is: is this, even indirectly, helping me catch scum?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2014, 08:18:34 am »

Spoiler: Tiruin's View (click to show/hide)
As can be seen, there are legitimate differences of opinion on the efficacy of different ways to start a game. The important thing to ask is: is this, even indirectly, helping me catch scum?
THAT IS A GOOD QUESTION. THE FOLLOW-UP MATTERS MORE.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2014, 09:35:04 am »

Oh very well, fishy mcfisherton.  Out of this group, one of the IC's, probably Persus, because I find him harder to read than NQT.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2014, 06:14:31 pm »

Pufferfish
Did you answer my question about TheDarkStar?

Woop, slipped through, thanks for pointing it out.

Pufferfish
TDS is very analytical, but doesn't post much.
So if TDS was particularly unanalytical this game you'd be suspicious? What if he posted a lot more than usual?

My feelings on TDS are only through one game. That being said, I would find it suspicious of him to not be so in-analytical. If he posted more, I would honestly think that was great, and it'd give me more to ask about.

Oh very well, fishy mcfisherton.  Out of this group, one of the IC's, probably Persus, because I find him harder to read than NQT.

4MaskWolf: Give me a better answer to my previous question than the joke you gave me.

In other words,

What sort of player would you jail in a last-ditch effort to save the town? Would you jail to protect, or jail to block?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2014, 07:11:03 pm »

Cheese
I keep mental notes, but I don't record anything like you do.
Uh huh, and what's your track record on successfully lynching scum?
I was part of the main players in the lynch of Makeinu in the first game I played, I pretty much caused the lynch on 4mask in the last BM.
...So, of the three games I've completed, I've successfully lynched scum in two of them, and I was scum in the other.
Take that as you will.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2014, 07:44:17 pm »

Hey, Persus, I just noticed you didn't answer my question.

Persus13
There seems to be a string of random voting, with not even actual questions attached, but rather threats/demands. What are your thoughts on the matter?
This is a BM, so I to some extent expected that, however, I do think that it needs improvement. My hope was that people would take the question I asked MOWE as an example for what they should do.

Persus:
MOWE- What do you think should happen to lurkers in a game where replacements are unavailable?
I think if they continue to lurk throughout the whole game and have been warned many times, they should be removed from the game. Having a lurker during critical times at the end isn't helpful for anyone and takes away from the game experience.
Define removed from the game. Remember that I said no replacements were available.

Persus13 and NQT: As IC's, is it really hard to play both scum and give townie advice, without revealing your true colors? Or better, how far can we trust your advice, if you're giving it as scum, and therefore won't fall into such traps as likely.
Well, I've never been scum and an IC player at the same time, so I wouldn't know. I've only been scum once, and I was in a position where I was one of the more experienced players. Then I said things I believed where true, and used them to attack other players and actually defend a few other ones. When we say stuff in italics, take that as 100% true. If it isn't in italics, it's either my opinion, or gameplay, so not necessarily true. We may le to you, if we're scum, but it won't or shouldn't be on how to play the game. Scum still need to win, and the best way to do that is appear town. the best way to appear town is to be as truthful as possible.

Persus
Do you think it's important to grill everyone on day one?
I think it's important everyone gets grilled on D1. If people are trying to avoid the spotlight, you should definitely grill them, but you shouldn't worry so much if someone else is doing the grilling of another player and it is satisfactory to you.

Mind if I take this too? Figure out something that works for you that is participative in the beginning of the game. Being an active lurker is something you want to avoid as other people can't get a good read on you. One possibility you could do is ask questions about hypothetical situations to other players. If you're lucky you can get questions going. Another is to try and set traps. And a final method is to intercept questions intended for other people before they've answered it Don't actually do that last one, you'll get attention, but of the kind you don't want

What's this in response to, and should I take this as a complement?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2014, 08:21:45 pm »

OY! FISH! I answered your question. RIGHT ABOVE YOUR VOTE.

And yes, Persus, that's a compliment.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2014, 08:44:48 pm »

Could I join as a replacement?
Crack-a-lack-a

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2014, 09:02:25 pm »

Oh, I see what the fishy is asking.

It depends on the day and my mood, and whether sane 4mask is present.  Jail scummy Mcscummerton type, I suppose.  Or jail townie mcTownerton.  Depends on scum numbers.  If two scum, townie mctownerton.  If one scum, scummy mcscummerton

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2014, 11:34:22 pm »

Votecount Day 1

(1) Pufferfish - 4maskwolf
(0) TheDarkStar
(2) MastahCheese - NAV, WhitiusOpus
(1) MyOwnWorstEnemy - Persus13
(1) 4maskwolf - Pufferfish
(1) NAV - notquitethere
(1) WhitiusOpus - TheDarkStar
(0) Persus13
(0) notquitethere

Not Voting: mastahcheese, MyOwnWorstEnemy

0/3 to extend
0/5 to shorten

Day 1 will end Monday March 31st at 9 PM PST.

Day ends in slightly less than 24 hours.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23