Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLVI: Unicorn - Game Over! - Scum Win!  (Read 41175 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVI: Unicorn - Day 1 - Forest Morning
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2014, 10:43:31 pm »

Pufferfish: How's it going in the scum chat? Also, if it was LyLo with you as town, someone who was not active much, and a slightly scummy active person, what would you do?

Pufferfish: I will cook you FOR dinner, you scumbiscuit.  What do you think of my vote on you?

Wow I feel bullied D:

TDS: No clue, but I bet it's fun! In LyLo with an inactive player? Since it's a 2v1, I'd lynch inactive. That's how my very first B<M went here; well, I didn't lynch but the two active players set aside their differences and lynched the inactive player. If you're inactive that late into the game, you have some srs issues.

Say you're cop. Town mislynched and tomorrow will be MyLo. What sort of personality would you investigate late game?

4Mask: Your vote is obviously an RVS pressure vote, but your question doesn't dig at much. Scum.

If you were jailkeep and tomorrow would be LyLo, who out of this group would you jail, assuming no other information?

pufferfish: Do you feel threatened when you're random voted?

Nope. It's just pressure play, meant to get the talking going.

Do you think Random Voting is a successful tactic, or a tradition that's had its uses?

Pufferfish What's your read on the meta of all the other players?

You know, I've only got a big read on Tiruin, and she can be a mean scum, but she's IC.

I'm getting to know 4mask better, but I've only played a gameday with him.

You're a darn good scum, which means you'd make a darn good town, too.

TDS is very analytical, but doesn't post much.

And I don't know much about anyone else, really.

How do you feel this game will go?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2014, 11:04:28 pm »

4Mask: Your vote is obviously an RVS pressure vote, but your question doesn't dig at much. Scum.

If you were jailkeep and tomorrow would be LyLo, who out of this group would you jail, assuming no other information?
I'm getting ganged up on in RVS  ::)
If he was still alive, TDS, because he shouldn't be alive that long :P

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2014, 12:27:41 am »

Wait, crap, just realized Tiruin is scum IC, not normal IC.  Redirect my question from Tiruin to Persus.
My reputation precedes me.
MWAHAHA.

Also, good luck and God Bless, y'all.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2014, 07:51:35 am »

Quote from: TheDarkStar
WhitiusOpus: Do you feel threatened when you're random voted?
Meh. It all depends, really. If they just random vote me to get a response, I'm ok with it. But if they RV with no backing, kept it on, and then other people started to jump on without any evidence, that would make me very sad.

Quote from: mastahcheese
WhitiusOpus
You answered the questions from 4mask and NQT, but only followed up with a question on 4mask. Why not NQT?
Quote from: WhitiusOpus
More later. I think.
Sorry, I was going to ask more people questions later (probably now), as I was rushed at the time.

Quote from: pufferfish
Do you think Random Voting is a successful tactic, or a tradition that's had its uses?
Hmm... I think both, really. It's useful in that it can make people slip, as they feel the pressure, but that can also make newbies appear to be scum. Probably more of the latter, but it still has it's uses.

Gaaahh, out of time again. Will ask follow up questions in a couple hours.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2014, 09:04:20 am »

Wolf
NQT: What analytical techniques?  I'm always scum, remember.  I haven't had a chance to develop them  :P
You're always scum, eh? Even here? Do you think your day game would be different playing as town?

Whitius Are you satisfied with Wolf's response?

NAV
NAV You're scum aren't you?
What makes you think I'm scum?
Ahah! I note you don't deny that you're scum. I wasn't really sure before (how could I be, the game has just started?!) but now this is tantamount to admission. This coupled with your question to Cheese: how could a player possibly prove they're not scum?

IC Advice: The beginning of the game questions serve a few purposes: foremost they start a conversation; second, they can set traps. Try not to fall into obvious linguistic traps, but if you do, just be honest and explain yourself clearly. Good scum are never caught out in the early back and forth where it's just a matter of saying the right kinds of things, but newbie scum often are.

TheDarkStar
Jailor by far; he can both protect and block. Jailors make the town live longer in general. Also, they can add significant evidence as to whether someone is scummy or not.
I think I'd be inclined to agree.

IC Advice: Questions can also be used to judge your fellow player's grasp of the subtleties of the game. You want to be sure your fellow town know what they're doing as the game proceeds.

NQT: Is it more important to base scum/town reads off posts and votes or off power roles?
If you've got an inspection result or you jailed someone and no one died then power role results should play a large part of a player's reads. However, most players don't have access to such roles and so must use every valid tool they can to hunt scum. Do you disagree?

Cheese
Is there anything in particular you have in mind for victory? How much time to you plan to spend cross-checking your notes?
I've got some tried and tested methods. I'll be keeping notes and checking them more as the game proceeds. Do you intend to keep any notes?

AT WORK ATM, WILL POST MORE QUESTIONS AND RESPONSE LATER

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2014, 09:44:55 am »

Sorry about the delay. RL happened.

NQT:
MyOwnWorstEnemy What's the most important thing you've learned recently in mafia?
I've learned to not be afraid of attacking someone I think is scum.

4maskwolf:
MOWE: If your partner messed up as scum, would you bus them or just stay back and watch?
I would actually do my best to save them at first, unless it would be drawing too much attention to me. If that doesn't work, I'd probably go about my way, attacking other players, since suddenly calling them scum would look bad on me.

WhitiusOpus:
MOWE: What are your qualifications for a definite vote on someone, rather than a random vote? As in, what makes you really sure someone is scum?
I would have to be fairly sure they were scum. They would have had to have made several scum slips.

TDS:
MOWE: What is the most important thing to you when choosing who to inspect?
It would have to be someone I suspect of possibly being scum, but aren't sure. If something just seems off about the person, I'd just inspect them to be sure they're worth pursuing. If they're town, I can shift my focus onto others and have one less person to be worrying about.

mastahcheese:
MyOwnWorstEnemy
There's only one scum left, and you are the jailkeeper. After jailing the person who lead the mislynch the day prior, nobody dies in the night. Would you consider them more likely to be the scum or the target? Why?
It depends on their conduct the day before. If they appear to have legitimate arguments, I'd count them more likely as town. If they had had a few slips, I'd think they were more likely scum.

Persus:
MOWE- What do you think should happen to lurkers in a game where replacements are unavailable?
I think if they continue to lurk throughout the whole game and have been warned many times, they should be removed from the game. Having a lurker during critical times at the end isn't helpful for anyone and takes away from the game experience.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2014, 10:12:19 am »

Ok, now that I have roughly a half-hour, it's question teim.
Quote from: notquitethere
Whitius Are you satisfied with Wolf's response?
Yes, I am. Unvote 4maskwolf.

pufferfish: Let's say it's later in the game, it's LyLo, and one person continues to make mistakes. Subtle ones, but scumtells all the same. But, the other players seemed to have not picked up on them, and another player seems to be attempting to cover this other player's mistakes as best as possible. Do you think they're both scum? How would you try and convince the other players?

TheDarkStar: Same as what I asked pufferfish, but what would you do if they begin pointing out mistakes you may or may not have made, and opinion turns to you as scum?

MastahCheese: Alright, "scumbiscuit", how do you think the best way to apply pressure to someone is? What's the distinction between knowing if you've cracked a newbie, or a scum?

MyOwnWorstEnemy: What would you do if you lead a myslynch, causing the game to LyLo, and the other players become suspicious, and begin hounding you? How would you defend yourself?

4maskwolf: How do you tend to react to people sidelining you as "no way this person could be scum?" Keep in mind that you're scum, during this.

NAV: You usually play games as ludicrously as possible. How do you feel with mafia being SRS BSNS?

Persus13 and NQT: As IC's, is it really hard to play both scum and give townie advice, without revealing your true colors? Or better, how far can we trust your advice, if you're giving it as scum, and therefore won't fall into such traps as likely.

WhitiusOpus: How would... Oh wait, that's me.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2014, 11:16:37 am »

Everyone has such wonderfully clear formatting. Keep up the good work guys!

Pufferfish
TDS is very analytical, but doesn't post much.
So if TDS was particularly unanalytical this game you'd be suspicious? What if he posted a lot more than usual?

How do you feel this game will go?
Hopefully it'll conclude at the end of day 2 with a total victory for Town with no one killed in the night. What will actually happen is anyone's guess.

Persus
Do you think it's important to grill everyone on day one?

MOWE
MyOwnWorstEnemy What's the most important thing you've learned recently in mafia?
That's promising to hear. So you intend to definitely vote by the end of each game then? Obviously, RL takes precedence but do you intend to ask any active questions in the RVS?

Whitius
Persus13 and NQT: As IC's, is it really hard to play both scum and give townie advice, without revealing your true colors? Or better, how far can we trust your advice, if you're giving it as scum, and therefore won't fall into such traps as likely.
I don't think I've ever been both an IC and an active scum player so it's hard to say for certain, but I think I'd be able to separate my desire to win as scum and my desire to give good advice. Often while playing as scum I've said perfectly truthful things about how the voting pattern mark out my scum partners as scum, in the full knowledge that no one else would act on that knowledge. I'm interested in everyone getting better at this game, so you can always trust my advice.

Especially when I'm talking like this.

If you're scum will you be targeting an IC for the night kill?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2014, 04:09:04 pm »

Wolf
NQT: What analytical techniques?  I'm always scum, remember.  I haven't had a chance to develop them  :P
You're always scum, eh? Even here? Do you think your day game would be different playing as town?
I dunno.  You figure out if I'm scum.  You really think I would tell you if I was?  Well, I would assume my day game would be different, wouldn't you?

Also, I should correct that to "I'm always cop", because in my three completed games that was all I was.

4maskwolf: How do you tend to react to people sidelining you as "no way this person could be scum?" Keep in mind that you're scum, during this.
I dunno.  What do you mean by that?  I'm not gonna argue that I am scum, if that's what you mean.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2014, 05:09:21 pm »

pufferfish: Let's say it's later in the game, it's LyLo, and one person continues to make mistakes. Subtle ones, but scumtells all the same. But, the other players seemed to have not picked up on them, and another player seems to be attempting to cover this other player's mistakes as best as possible. Do you think they're both scum? How would you try and convince the other players?

TheDarkStar: Same as what I asked pufferfish, but what would you do if they begin pointing out mistakes you may or may not have made, and opinion turns to you as scum?

I would post my evidence and draw attention to the two players as much as possible. There's not too much more for me to do.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2014, 05:46:59 pm »

TDS: No clue, but I bet it's fun! In LyLo with an inactive player? Since it's a 2v1, I'd lynch inactive. That's how my very first B<M went here; well, I didn't lynch but the two active players set aside their differences and lynched the inactive player. If you're inactive that late into the game, you have some srs issues.

Say you're cop. Town mislynched and tomorrow will be MyLo. What sort of personality would you investigate late game?

Everything else equal, I'd target the people are are to get a read from. If it's relatively easy to get a read from someone but I don't have it yet, I'll try to get it the next day instead of wasting my inspect.

If he was still alive, TDS, because he shouldn't be alive that long :P

Very funny. ::)

TheDarkStar
Jailor by far; he can both protect and block. Jailors make the town live longer in general. Also, they can add significant evidence as to whether someone is scummy or not.
I think I'd be inclined to agree.

IC Advice: Questions can also be used to judge your fellow player's grasp of the subtleties of the game. You want to be sure your fellow town know what they're doing as the game proceeds.

NQT: Is it more important to base scum/town reads off posts and votes or off power roles?
If you've got an inspection result or you jailed someone and no one died then power role results should play a large part of a player's reads. However, most players don't have access to such roles and so must use every valid tool they can to hunt scum. Do you disagree?

I do not disagree. Maybe I should have refined my question a bit more.

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2014, 08:40:24 pm »

WhitiusOpus:
MyOwnWorstEnemy: What would you do if you lead a myslynch, causing the game to LyLo, and the other players become suspicious, and begin hounding you? How would you defend yourself?
I would go back and point out the reasons I had for voting the person and try to explain that I was actually convinced they were scum.

NQT:
MOWE
That's promising to hear. So you intend to definitely vote by the end of each game then? Obviously, RL takes precedence but do you intend to ask any active questions in the RVS?
I very much so intend on using my vote. And I'm not one for asking random questions. I think the only time I've ever asked RVS questions was my first BM, in which all of the questions were completely and utterly useless. Since then, I've kinda dropped that idea and settle on commenting/asking specific questions about what someone has/hasn't done rather than asking the RVS questions myself. Any IC advice for me in that regard? Because I realize that that's something I should be doing, but I just don't know how to go about it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2014, 10:39:59 pm »

notquitethere
Cheese
Is there anything in particular you have in mind for victory? How much time to you plan to spend cross-checking your notes?
I've got some tried and tested methods. I'll be keeping notes and checking them more as the game proceeds. Do you intend to keep any notes?
I keep mental notes, but I don't record anything like you do.

WhitiusOpus
MastahCheese: Alright, [1] "scumbiscuit", [2] how do you think the best way to apply pressure to someone is? [3] What's the distinction between knowing if you've cracked a newbie, or a scum?
[1] Scumbuscuit.
[2] Well, if my methods are anything to go by, tunnel them relentlessly, and refuse to believe a thing they say. That's usually how I go about it.
[3] That's something I'm still working on. Really, it's very subtle on the few times I have been able to tell one way or the other. If I find myself starting to run out of thing to really attack them with, then they're probably scum. But if new things start cropping up at the same speed that others are being answered, then I'm usually convinced they're scum.

What about you? How do you go about it? And also, how much of a difference does it make with a vote being applied, in your opinion?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2014, 11:10:00 pm »

Votecount Day 1

(1) Pufferfish - 4maskwolf
(0) TheDarkStar
(2) MastahCheese - NAV, WhitiusOpus
(0) MyOwnWorstEnemy - Persus13
(1) 4maskwolf - Pufferfish
(1) NAV - notquitethere
(1) WhitiusOpus - TheDarkStar
(0) Persus13
(0) notquitethere

Not Voting: mastahcheese, MyOwnWorstEnemy

0/3 to extend
0/5 to shorten

Day 1 will end Monday March 31st at 9 PM PST.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2014, 07:46:09 pm »

*yawns*
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23