Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLVI: Unicorn - Game Over! - Scum Win!  (Read 41083 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVI: Unicorn - Day 1 - Forest Morning
« Reply #150 on: April 05, 2014, 07:05:25 pm »

Cheese, Wolf, Whitius: you were the last players to vote near the deadline: why didn't you break the tie?
The reason I didn't break the tie is because the only way I could have done so is to have voted NAV, and I'd prefer to not lynch a player on their very first game. So for the sake of honor to newbies, I didn't break it.

Looking back through the first day, to find something we can use.
Frick, he wasn't one of the people I asked reads from, god dang it.

People that gave me reads:
TDS: Again, nothing really stands out; null read.
Reads: Currently, all my reads are null reads. I want to fix this soon, but doubt I will be until D2 unless things go down.
For now? Don't have anything serious. I still need to ask my own questions, to get my own impression on people. And I need sum time to reread topic properly.
TheDarkStar - Hasn't posted in ages, not really done much. Pretty usual for DarkStar. Null.

So 4 out of 4 people gave TDS a "null" read.
That gives us freaking nothing.

I'll have to inspect other stuff closer later.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Painiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVI: Unicorn - Day 2 - Forrest Morrning
« Reply #151 on: April 05, 2014, 10:22:54 pm »

Gosh. I swear, all we do, is asking each other for reads, and saying we will do something about it. That's silly.

Your reason for not lynching NAV isn't good either, mastahcheese. Honor do not win games.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2014, 10:32:50 pm »

Gosh. I swear, all we do, is asking each other for reads, and saying we will do something about it. That's silly.

Your reason for not lynching NAV isn't good either, mastahcheese. Honor do not win games.
You're saying this under the assumption that I'm here to win at all costs, as opposed to say, education of the game for those involved.
That said, you mentioned earlier that you were going to read through the thread. Have you done so? Have you found anything you'd like to enlighten us on?
The Derail Thread

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 05, 2014, 11:17:32 pm »

Well. I feel I screwed up big time, and that I probably look really scummy right now. I was changing my vote based on mastahcheese's response to me asking how bad he would feel to be RV'd to death on D1, and the response seemed pretty town (by my perspective). I was also pressed for time, and did not review the complications changing my vote so late would've had on the game. I apologize, as that's a pretty big mistake. I'll accept any criticism, as it's probably just :/.

Quote from: NQT
Cheese, Wolf, Whitius: you were the last players to vote near the deadline: why didn't you break the tie?

New players may not be aware, but it's seen as very good practice to lynch when possible, unless players are absolutely certain that they're heading towards a mislynch. The only way of defeating scum is to use the lynch.
I truthfully did not fully think through the implications of me changing my vote, and then not having the time to return and check what that would cause by making a tie. Honest mistake.

Also, yes, I am aware that we need to lynch someone D1. It gives leads and helps us to narrow down possible scum (or bad town). Now, we have nothing as to leads. Except me, of course. the regular screw up...

Mastahcheese: Are you happy that I took my vote off you, giving you another day to live, and the time to kill in the night?
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2014, 12:25:14 am »

Mastahcheese: Are you happy that I took my vote off you, giving you another day to live, and the time to kill in the night?
Well, if I'm alive, I can still hunt scum, so in that sense, yes. But I'm curious, now, why ask how I feel about it?

...I had to read your question a couple times to really think about it, but it seems like there isn't supposed to be a "good" answer:
If I say "yes", you'll say that I'm reacting to being voted in a scummy way.
If I say "no", you'll ask "So you wanted to be lynched?"
Those are the only two ways to answer the question, so what were you hoping to get out of it?

...Your question is a trap, isn't it?
It can't be used to actually gain usable information, just used to give you things to throw at me later, because how I feel could only be used to start up a "WIFOM" argument with how I react to a stimulus.

...So I think I'll return the question to you, Opus.
Are you happy you took your vote off of me?
The Derail Thread

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2014, 10:03:47 am »

...So I think I'll return the question to you, Opus.
Are you happy you took your vote off of me?

Hmm... I don't know, tbh. It puts suspicion on me for tying up the vote, but also allows you to live, whom I'm decently sure isn't scum. Yes, this question was a trap (not very good one), but it was also to mainly gauge your reaction to it. If you had reacted defensively, I would probably have marked you as scum, or at least keep pushing the line of questioning. If you had reacting overly aggressive, I probably would've kept pushing also.

In summary, I'm on the line (leaning towards yes) as to keeping you alive, but mad at myself for not changing it to NAV to help ensure a D1 lynch. Then again, this was his first BM game.

What do you think? Should I have left my vote on you, or forgo a D1 lynch? I don't think lynching someone on their first mafia game is a viable option.
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2014, 06:14:41 pm »

You know, you've pointed out that you're looking scummy, I think twice now? And keep saying that you feel bad, or messed up somehow. What it seems like you're doing, is calling to emotion, or whatever the term is.

Snipped to the parts I'm referring to.
Well. I feel I screwed up big time, and that I probably look really scummy right now.
I'll accept any criticism, as it's probably just :/.
Now, we have nothing as to leads. Except me, of course. the regular screw up...
It puts suspicion on me for tying up the vote...
...but mad at myself for not changing it to NAV to help ensure a D1 lynch...
You're making it pretty clear on your thoughts on the matter.

Also, this.
In summary, I'm on the line (leaning towards yes) as to keeping you alive, but mad at myself for not changing it to NAV to help ensure a D1 lynch. Then again, this was his first BM game.
[Bolded part] This does not sound like a phrase town would use at all. Keep me alive?

Now that I think of it...
[Italics] You're talking like you have control over this, like you decide who lives or dies here. You're talking from a scum perspective.

I think I'll answer your question now, Opus.
What do you think? Should I have left my vote on you, or forgo a D1 lynch? I don't think lynching someone on their first mafia game is a viable option.
I don't think that lynching someone D1 on their first game is viable, either. From a point of information, you should have gone with the lynch on me, because there's no better time in the game to perform a lynch than D1, it has the least risk.
The Derail Thread

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2014, 11:00:05 pm »

WhitiusOpus - notquitethere, mastahcheese
mastahcheese - WhitiusOpus

not voting - Persus13, Painiac, Pufferfish, NAV, MyOwnWorstEnemy

I should have calculated when exactly pacific time was rather than relying on ZU's hour counter:
Day ends in ~9 hours.
Whoops  :(

Day 2 will end Tuesday April 8 at 9 PM PST.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2014, 11:01:43 pm »

I hope people get in here.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2014, 11:13:32 pm »

I'm here! :D

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2014, 11:21:01 pm »

The Derail Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2014, 11:24:42 pm »

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2014, 07:53:54 am »

Quote from: mastahcheese
You know, you've pointed out that you're looking scummy, I think twice now? And keep saying that you feel bad, or messed up somehow. What it seems like you're doing, is calling to emotion, or whatever the term is.

Snipped to the parts I'm referring to.
Quote from: WhitiusOpus
Well. I feel I screwed up big time, and that I probably look really scummy right now.
I'll accept any criticism, as it's probably just :/.
Now, we have nothing as to leads. Except me, of course. the regular screw up...

Quote from: WhitiusOpus
It puts suspicion on me for tying up the vote...
...but mad at myself for not changing it to NAV to help ensure a D1 lynch...
You're making it pretty clear on your thoughts on the matter.
You're right maybe it is emotion. I think I overreacting due to me having checked the thread after night fell, and seeing that it was pretty much my fault that the vote tied. If I had not switched my vote, we would have had a D1 lynch, as opposed to a no-lynch. This pins suspicion to me, as pointed out by NQT voting me, which I think is justifiable. I assumed, while (probably over) thinking about this, that opinion would point towards me more.
[Bolded part] This does not sound like a phrase town would use at all. Keep me alive?
How is it not a phrase a town would use? Maybe my wording is odd, or off, but what I'm trying to say is 'letting you live'. That's what I did, right? By switching my vote off of you, it allowed you to participate in the next day, and not be lynched. I'm not trying to 'keep you alive', that was a bad choice of words. I meant, 'allowing to to continue to breath'. But even then, that's not a great wording either, is it? That infers that I'm the one who decides your death. Maybe the best way to say this is "I'm on the line as to having switched my vote, and therefore leaving you alive, and us with a no lynch".
[Italics] You're talking like you have control over this, like you decide who lives or dies here. You're talking from a scum perspective.
I don't think that lynching someone D1 on their first game is viable, either. From a point of information, you should have gone with the lynch on me, because there's no better time in the game to perform a lynch than D1, it has the least risk.
I don't "have control over this". I "had the ability to let you live or hang". I don't think it's a scum perspective, if that is what truly happened. I believe the above answers this. As well, it's interesting to note you completely glossed over the part about you killing in the night. Any reason for that?

Basically, I see no reason for your vote on me, mastahcheese, other then OMGUSing. You're taking what I've said and twisting it to fit what you want. Yes, I may have over exaggerated my vote-change, but then again, not many people are here to give their perspectives. Otherwise, you've taken some quotes out of context, and phrasing it as if I'm talking from a scum perspective when I'm just referring to what happened D1. I bet your scum buddy will be proud when you lead a myslynch today.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2014, 08:02:05 am »

Please don't go easy on me just because it's my first game. Not Like I really need to say this any more, considering day 1 of my first Mafia is over.

Mastahcheese: You were the last person to vote, even though you knew the vote wouldn't accomplish anything. Why then did you vote?

NAV, MOWE, Paniac, Persus what do you think about DarkStar being town?
He was quiet, but someone earlier in the thread I think mentioned that he's quiet and analytical. I feel like avenging his death.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2014, 09:51:13 am »

NQT:
NAV, MOWE, Paniac, Persus what do you think about DarkStar being town?
Well since I had a null read on him the entire game, I'm not terribly surprised that he flipped town. Just as I wouldn't have been terribly surprised if we'd lynched him and he flipped scum.

Opus:
You were the one that tied up the vote. Someone actually pointed out that you had tied the vote. Although I understand that that could have been a beginner's mistake, when it's coupled with asking what seem to be loaded questions, it seems really scummy because no matter how one answers, you'll be able to claim they're scum because of it.

NAV:
MyOwnWorstenemy: Who would you investigate as a cop? Why?
I'd probably investigate Opus because I think he's quite scummy.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23