Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Arms Dealer - NEED INPUT ON STYLE  (Read 4300 times)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer - NEED INPUT ON STYLE
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 06:52:59 am »

PTW, and I prefer the modern map to anything else, but it could use more clearly defined borders and whatnot.

Was going to say exactly this. Add borders to the realistic map and it'll do great in my opinion.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 07:28:03 am »

They're only examples from other games. The first game is Plague Inc, not whatever game hemmingjay's making xD
I know. Plague, Inc. is actually on my desktop.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 08:08:02 am »

They're only examples from other games. The first game is Plague Inc, not whatever game hemmingjay's making xD
I know. Plague, Inc. is actually on my desktop.
I was talking to Seriyu though o.o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 08:56:21 am »

Lots of good feedback from you all. I really appreciate it. I can't take everyone's suggestions but I can weigh the opinions as well as keep good ideas and build on the inspiration you create. Also, please keep in mind I am making a prototype, not a finished game. They are not the same thing. Aqizzar, I'm not bothered by being badmouthed as I know where I stand. There are a lot of dreamers and flakes out there, but I've hustled my way up in this industry and am now working on starting my own thing. It won't be an overnight enterprise, but rather a side project while I continue as a consultant and executive in the games industry. My goal is to release 2 small games a year until 2016. If they are mildly successful, I will accept the funding offer I have(if it stays) and grow to a full service small studio 15-25 employees by 2018. I don't want to throw away my career if my niche doesn't pan out.

My mission is to recreate the magic of the 80's and 90's casual sim/strategy games where you would play for hours and hours even though you knew it was repetitive/pointless/grind aka Covert Action, Conflict: Middle East Political Simulator, and more. I do not intend to make grand epics at this point, there are plenty out there. I want pick up and play addictive games that you can switch between your PC/Mac and mobile device seamlessly. I can't do it alone though, I need your feedback so I don't waste my money and time. 
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 07:46:30 pm »

bahahah, oh. That's a good sign then!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 10:04:32 am »

Here is a proposed style for the map and UI, note that this one is for mobile, but it would be mostly the same on PC.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 10:14:50 am »

I like it, but the borders on the countries should be white or light grey, and unbroken (unless there's a good reason to use a dashed line,) to make it easier to identify at a glance.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 10:45:51 am »

I like it! :D I assume the countries would change colour depending on how much biznezz you have in them? :)
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 01:34:26 pm »

Maximum, great suggestion. I think light grey is perfect to stand out clearly without causing an aura effect(white on black tends to).

Wysthric, we have multiple color change plans for countries but a final decision won't be made until testing occurs. There will definitely be colored + an Icon to indicate a country in conflict and therefore higher demand for weapons. Also, a country with Interpol agents investigating will be marked. And finally, I think I will have an icon on countries with bribed generals but will make that a toggled option, to be able to keep the map as clean as possible.

Speaking of the bribing system, right now it works pretty well. Bribes are accepted or denied based on a hidden threshold that is randomized  based on the player's "heat" level, the proximity of an interpol investigation, the total number of bribed generals, the wealth factor of the country and a random modifier of 0-30. This makes the whole process delightfully dynamic and actually feels like an achievement when you succeed. If you fail it starts a timer if dealing with a general, and you can try again at a later time but with a penalty(not decided yet, thinking of making it a $50k charge to get a second meeting with the insulted general). If you were bribing a ship captain and you fail, that's it. You have to try another ship in port. If you fail on all three ships currently in port, then you have to wait for another one (90 secs at the most, usually much less). The ships in port are randomly generated every 20-90 seconds, never more than 3 at a time for balance. A player who hurries without considering the factors will either fail or waste a lot of money. The player who considers all factors and makes an educated guess will be rewarded with a great sense of achievement as well as financial savings. I am going to also test a system that further rewards excellent bribers by giving a boost to discounts based on how close you were to the minimum viable bribe. I need to test the balance and make sure my system isn't easily gamed through metagaming/excel masters. 

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 04:12:48 pm »

Ooh, do I get to point out first that your world map is missing New Zealand and the British Isles?  And Sicily and Madagascar and Hawaii, but they're pretty minor.  Might want to have the map guy do a higher resolution pass.  There's actually a surprising amount of arms dealing in the South Pacific, so some indicator for the islands there would be good.  At the same time, that big dead space would also be a good place to put your largest pop-up menu.

I would suggest having a clock up by the date indicator, since events have clocks by them too.  You don't want time passing to ever be opaque.

Gameplay question: what sort of mechanics are there for dealing with with different actors in the same country?  Talking to both sides of a civil war, for instance.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 04:16:28 pm »

Ooh, do I get to point out first that your world map is missing New Zealand and the British Isles?  And Sicily and Madagascar and Hawaii, but they're pretty minor.
Holy shit, they are missing. I didn't even notice. Weird how Sri Lanka is still there, given.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 09:16:59 pm »

Ooh, do I get to point out first that your world map is missing New Zealand and the British Isles?  And Sicily and Madagascar and Hawaii, but they're pretty minor.  Might want to have the map guy do a higher resolution pass.  There's actually a surprising amount of arms dealing in the South Pacific, so some indicator for the islands there would be good.  At the same time, that big dead space would also be a good place to put your largest pop-up menu.

I would suggest having a clock up by the date indicator, since events have clocks by them too.  You don't want time passing to ever be opaque.

Gameplay question: what sort of mechanics are there for dealing with with different actors in the same country?  Talking to both sides of a civil war, for instance.

Hawaii is missing too! It's ok though, it's not a final map, just a quick concept drawn up by a competing artist. I have two in my employ now, one will be the art director and conceptual artist and the other will refine his work. I have to produce low and hi def assets for every piece of the game since most phones can't handle loading a lot of art assets like a simple dual core processor. The whole thing has to be streamlined in single thread processing due to my own project limitations, which means low resolution settings for phones and older computers.

There will be a clock at the top center and most likely a more detailed clock(with seconds/tenths) in the bottom right for timing more accurately. As for the islands, all of the major land masses will be in the game but not all countries will trade in arms. Just like in real life, several countries don't have standing armies and therefore don't deal in arms.

For dealing with multiple actors in the country, first, there is only one actor until an uprising occurs. It can happen naturally(rare) or the player can hire a mercenary intelligence firm(Think Blackwater Intel services) to instigate an uprising. The news service will let you know and the color or icon on the country will change to make the player aware of the change. At this point the communications menu(Looks like Skype, sort of) will now have two opposing generals instead of one. The purchase/sale menu will have another tab but once an uprising starts, neither actor will sell weapons to the player. Right after a conflict there is usually a big sell off though as the country stabilizes.

These are great questions and comments. Please keep them coming. Once I have some art assets in place I will move the game over to other games. The game has three full time employees and a decent budget, so it's getting finished. However, after some famous disappointments on Bay12, I am don't want to give anyone any reason to doubt the game or receive it any more negatively than necessary. Don't worry, I know some people will be jerks about it for no reason anyway. It's the internet, it's to be expected, even on Bay12.

EDIT: A sample of my composer's work. The intro song to be played while the game loads and waits for the player to "press enter" or what-not. The actual game music will be a little less intense, but of similar quality. Go to his page and then select the 10th track down named "Game Music"  https://soundcloud.com/elyssius
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 09:29:46 pm by hemmingjay »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 11:45:56 pm »

Wait, is it all above board arms trading? I was under the impression that there would be black market trade, and that operates in every country around the world.

Edit: the map is also missing most of the Pacific islands, much of the Caribbean, and the Aleutian islands.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:48:11 pm by MaximumZero »

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 12:00:09 am »

Ptw.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 02:32:11 am »

The UI looks very sleek and cool.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4