Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Martial Arts  (Read 2035 times)

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Martial Arts
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 09:44:12 pm »

I wrestled all through high school. Went to a submission dojo once and didn't like the atmosphere.
What do you mean by submission dojo? In my personal experience, I've found MMA schools to be the most welcoming and laid back, followed by BJJ. That's too bad your experience was different.

Anyway, I can promise you if that with even high school level wrestling, you'll be able to bang with many white belts and even some blue belts. Even though I didn't go to a school with wrestling, my focus on wrestling skills saved me- I was probably the least experienced blue belt but I edged out my wins by just shooting relentlessly and grinding them into the mat until the time ran out.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 02:09:14 am »

Oh cool, I love Muy Thai. I've started dabbling in it a bit but until I graduate from college I don't have enough time to compete in both BJJ and MT. My TKD background really helped me, even though my boxing is terrible, I can pretty much connect head kicks at will and throw a lot of stuff that many MT guys are not used to defending. I'd really like to try entering some amateur MMA once I polish up my striking.
I mostly worked from inside my opponent's hands, especially in the clinch. Then again, I have a very low center of gravity, and a 66" reach.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 02:29:17 am »

Oh cool, I love Muy Thai. I've started dabbling in it a bit but until I graduate from college I don't have enough time to compete in both BJJ and MT. My TKD background really helped me, even though my boxing is terrible, I can pretty much connect head kicks at will and throw a lot of stuff that many MT guys are not used to defending. I'd really like to try entering some amateur MMA once I polish up my striking.
I mostly worked from inside my opponent's hands, especially in the clinch. Then again, I have a very low center of gravity, and a 66" reach.

MaximumZero:
Adept Dwarven Wrestler
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 08:33:39 am »

Had my first amateur MMA fight on Saturday. Finnish C-amateur rules so no striking on the ground, 3x3min rounds. Lost by majority decision but frankly I'm over the Moon just having gone three rounds and convincing at least one judge. :D

I think I did well in the stand-up, got some good combinations in but they didn't have enough power. I had one good guillotine choke attempt but otherwise got outwrestled, my opponent threatened several armbars and at the end of the 2nd round the bell saved me from being choked out. And in the third round we were both so tired that we just clinched in the corner and threw weak knees :P But an awesome experience overall, learned a lot about myself.
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 01:17:47 pm »

Congrats on getting in the ring. Most people don't have the guts.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 06:04:58 am »

Congrats on getting in the ring.

Thanks. I kind of wish I would have taken the plunge sooner, I think those 9 minutes took my game forward more than a couple of months of training.
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2014, 03:48:17 pm »

Oh, absolutely. There's nothing like a live fire session to tell you exactly how you're screwing up, and what you need to work on. As much as it hurts, having your flaws exposed is worth the pain.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 04:08:09 pm »

I wrestled all through high school. Went to a submission dojo once and didn't like the atmosphere.
What do you mean by submission dojo? In my personal experience, I've found MMA schools to be the most welcoming and laid back, followed by BJJ. That's too bad your experience was different.
Rather, it was a dojo, and I participated in some submission practice. The sensei was unhelpful, even though my buddy and I who had talked to him a couple days in advance made it clear we had no experience with this type of wrestling. Not that I didn't learn anything, but whilst I was practicing I noticed that he would point things out to his students without giving any sort of helpful advice aside from "that's wrong." His own students were far more useful, but talking was discouraged, so while they did their best to help their partners they avoided saying anything while the sensei was around. The newcomers (as in completely new to wrestling) I could tell were struggling and in the end it was clear all they came away with were sore muscles.

And they have to pay for this crap.

So I never came back.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:14:45 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 [2]