Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Martial Arts  (Read 2029 times)

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Martial Arts
« on: March 22, 2014, 11:32:48 pm »

Hello Bay12- Wondering if anyone else out there like the martial arts and combat sports too. I dabble in wrestling, and did Taekwondo when I was younger, but the combination of practicality, art and competition in BJJ has given me the bug. Anyone else out there like to grapple?

Anyway, I'm also going to shamelessly brag about my tournament today: I only got third (on the right) but it happen that both the guys in my division who beat me for 1st and 2nd are both training partners, so in the end it's all good.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Martial Arts
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:26:12 am »

I do karate and I'll be going for my black belt in a couple months.
I'm terrified of it to be honest.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 12:40:02 am »

PTW. I may post my credentials at a later date, but they're plastered all over b12, and I'm on my phone.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 12:48:47 am »

I wrestled all through high school. Went to a submission dojo once and didn't like the atmosphere.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 12:51:01 am »

I don't have any formal martial arts training, but I do have an interest in watching this thread.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 01:10:43 am »

I do karate and I'll be going for my black belt in a couple months.
I'm terrified of it to be honest.
What type of Karate?
Anyway, I'd highly encourage anyone who does martial arts to get some wrestling or BJJ experience, grappling is a whole new world than striking. I've found all good MMA and BJJ type place to be very welcoming, as most experienced guys don't have anything to prove. In my short BJJ career, I've gotten to spar with guys like Mark Muņoz, Brady Fink, Felipe Guedes and Flavio Almeida and I can say that they're all excellent teachers as well as really nice guys.

I wouldn't say there's anything to be scared of, but it's a humbling experience sometimes. The rawness of bjj is what really appeals to me- you get them to submit or you tap, either way, you learn what worked or what did not.

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 01:12:13 am »

PTW. I may post my credentials at a later date, but they're plastered all over b12, and I'm on my phone.
I don't smoke, and I'm a little too drunk at the moment to look. What do you do?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 01:15:35 am »

Go-Jyu Ryu.

I spelt that wrong I think.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 04:32:15 am »

I've tried to get into Karate when I was seven, didn't last though.

In general, I'd be interested, but I'm rather... well, not hostile per se, but I dislike the whole eastern attitude towards teaching, and that's sadly the easiest things to find around here.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 06:50:28 am »

I did taekwondo half a decade ago, then a little straight bjj before transitioning into casual Army combatives work. I really enjoy rolling with people. There's something incredibly gratifying about making a mistake, being punished for it, and spending the next two minutes with someone's arm around your neck trying to get you to tap.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 04:43:59 pm »

Wondering if anyone else out there like the martial arts and combat sports too.

Relevant thread

got third

Congrats.

Anyone else out there like to grapple?

I acknowledge the practical necessity if your goal is to be a good fighter, but I wouldn't say I "like" it. Though I do have some fond memories of being put into holds and patiently waiting for my opponent to realize I was too flexible for what he was doing to possibly hurt me.

My first style was shotokan, which has no native grappling. We did get some because the head instructor happened to also be a judo blackbelt, but it was all very rudimentary. Did kempo for a couple years, and that had plenty of grappling, but this was all pre-UFC and what we did was mostly upright chin na joint locking and muscle/tendon grabs, with only minimal groundwork. Did aikido for a while, but aikido is just stupid. The most practical groundwork I ever did was actually in ninjutsu, but the worldview there was very much not tourny relevant. In shotokan, if your opponent is on the ground it's because you punched him hard enough that he fell over. Time to bow and walk away. When I did kempo, if your opponent is on the ground it was mostly likely because you'd already immobilized him and the fight is probably over. In aikido...forgive my snark, but if your opponent is on the ground, it's because they've politely allowed you to put them there, time for hugs! In ninjutsu...if your opponent is on the ground, great! Now, let's...oh, look at that pen on the ground over there. Let's jam it into his eyesocket! Sure, you could rip out his throat instead, but why waste a perfectly good pen?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 05:16:18 pm »

Go-Jyu Ryu.

I spelt that wrong I think.

The correct spelling is 剛柔流. Lots of ways to romanize it. Yours is as good as any. Also, yay for something familiar! Turn to left, forward stance downblock, step forward punch! Let's see if I remember any of these...sanshin? Jitte? Jion? Basaidai? Never did goju ryu myself, but karate styles are all generally pretty similar.

going for my black belt in a couple months.

Fun black belt test story, told to me by a former instructor: he was sick when he did the test. Which might be cause for concern, but at that school tests were by invite only and it was more a formality than an actual test. You didn't get invited unless they'd already decided you deserved the rank. So...there he was, sick, congested and miserable. Had to wait for 40 minutes or so in seiza with no kleenex against the wall before his turn, heard his name called and walked up before the judges.

So imagine this, stanfing there at ready before half a dozen stoic, expressionless japanese men twice his age. Silence. Then the middle judge yelled the name of the kata he was to do. So, as per protcol, he yelled it back. And in the process, hurled a throatfull of phlegm across the room to land on the table in front of the judges.

Silence, and half a dozen still stoic, still expressionless japanese men cooly regarded the testee to see if he would lose focus. He did not.

Hajime!

So he did the kata. Finished. Paused in the final position.

Yame!

Returned to ready, bowed, then was asked to sit down back in the line.

And only then did somebody get a paper towel to clean it up.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 05:47:42 pm »

I've started taking Karate a few months ago and advanced to yellow belt. I don't think I have too much to brag about, buy my instructor says my posture is good.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 05:59:43 pm »

I don't smoke, and I'm a little too drunk at the moment to look. What do you do?
The latest of the many times I've posted my martial arts experience.
Ninjutsu (2nd degree black belt,) Savate (Yellow glove instructor), and Muay Thai (instructor). I've dabbled in lots of other martial arts, too. I did a year of kendo and iaido, wushu gong qui, and tiger kung fu. I want to get into hapkido or taekwondo, and I've never done karate, which I should probably rectify at some point.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, feel free to hit me up.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 09:39:06 pm »

Oh cool, I love Muy Thai. I've started dabbling in it a bit but until I graduate from college I don't have enough time to compete in both BJJ and MT. My TKD background really helped me, even though my boxing is terrible, I can pretty much connect head kicks at will and throw a lot of stuff that many MT guys are not used to defending. I'd really like to try entering some amateur MMA once I polish up my striking.
Pages: [1] 2